Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Profiler shows massive spikes in active constraints

Discussion in 'Physics' started by kstothert, Nov 7, 2018.

1. kstothert

kstothert

here is a screenshot of the profiler

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 2.26.26 PM.png
    most frames are steady at around 5k active constraints but this spikes to almost a million at it's worst.

Where might i find the cause of this spike?

DavidSWu likes this.
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Constrains of what?

3. kstothert

kstothert

thats my question, how do i find the cause of all these constraints

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Disable some objects, observe profiler and try find which one(s) is/are cause.

5. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

I am seeing the same thing, but I am getting up to 105k constraints. I will attempt to isolate it, but it would be helpful if there were a way to discover what kind of constraints we are talking about.
    We have a voxel based game and there are about 60k voxels in the scene that I am testing with (damn UGC).
    However, 95% of them are static and without rigid bodies.
    We have less than 20 contacts most of the time.
    Oddly it is 0 for a period and jumps up to 105k for a few frames, then falls back to 0 and the cycle repeats.

upload_2019-2-26_1-47-30.png

6. epicproblem

epicproblem

I'm having the same issue and a lot of difficulty isolating, so far no luck.

7. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

hi, I am looking at similar behaviour in the profiler however I know what is causing it in my case (suggestions on how to fix welcome). Essentially I am instantiating a destructing object (a rock) which is composed of ~20 subobjects partially into a terrain. They explode nicely but the physics simulation eats GPU before stabilising. Moving the object slightly so it does not intersects the terrain fixes the problem. I will probably try carving a "crater" in the terrain as I need to do that anyway..

8. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

FYI in case anyone is interested carving out a section of the terrain to reduce the overlap fixed the problem for me, and I needed a crater anyway :)