Search Unity

Profiler offscreen

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mvinc006, Feb 27, 2018.

1. mvinc006

mvinc006

In my eagerness to have the unity profiler running while I test out performance on my game, I've inadvertently dragged the profiler offscreen where I can no longer reach it.

I read some others have got the console back by adjusting zoom levels, I couldn't find this option.

I'll list a few of the things I've tried.

• Selected 'Window > Profiler'
    • Selected 'Window > Layouts > Revert factory settings
    • Pressed CTRL 7, used multiple button combinations to try and shift it back with the arrow keys
    • Closed and re-opened unity
    • Moved my second monitors start menu around to try and find the profilers handle.
    Sadly, I'm at a loss...this is quite shameful as it's my first Unity post....hopefully my next is more constructive haha

2. FMark92

FMark92

Wow. Not even "cascade windows" fixes it. You're screwed my man...

3. FMark92

FMark92

Actually "Selected 'Window > Layouts > Revert factory settings" does it in my case but I didn't move profiler window somewhere I couldn't touch it.

4. mvinc006

mvinc006

Haha yeah, I used it all of about two minutes to find a huge issue with a script that was using Physics.Linecast instead of a normal Raycast per pooled object, at least I identified and fixed that before I lost it...

Welp, welcome to the community I guess

5. alexrvn

alexrvn

Unity Technologies

Workaround on Windows

1. Make sure no UnityEditor instance is open currently
    2. in <project folder>/Library/ delete CurrentLayout and CurrentMaximizedLayout
    3. in LOCALDRIVE:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Unity/Editor-5.x/Preferences/Layouts delete LastLayout
    4. using regedit.msc (can be started from start bar) browse to
    \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unity Technologies\Unity Editor 5.x\ and delete the following keys:

a) UnityEditor.ProfilerWindowh
    b) UnityEditor.ProfilerWindoww
    c) UnityEditor.ProfilerWindowx
    d) UnityEditor.ProfilerWindowy

Cheers,
    Alex

6. mvinc006

mvinc006

Thanks Alex, can get back to it now.

It’s an amazing tool, saves me hours of tinkering with things that don’t matter.