Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ProfileIt - Profiler for Unity Free

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Marrrk, May 16, 2013.

1. Marrrk

Marrrk

Hi there,

I was in need of a simple profiler so I created myself some basic profiler methods (BeginProfile/EndProfile). After seeing how well it helped me to track down performance leaks I extended this idea to a full fledged Profiler System which needs zero code modifications and only Unity Free, instead of Unity Pro.

All you need is to install the package (when it is released), open the profiler window, activate it and specify which Assemblies should be profiled (Unity generates those from your scripts). After that you can run your game inside of unity and click the Capture button inside of the Profiler window.

This works too with builds made by you while the profiler was activated. So it is theoretically possible to profile Windows, Mac, Android Builds, eg. as long as a valid network connection between the profiler and the build result is possible.

The profiler is currently able to show you the callstack of every method call made by the profiled assemblies, including the stacktrace from and to a method. You can sort every statistic entry inside of the table.

Following values are currently tracked:
    - Name, Namespace and declaring Type of a method
    - Stacktrace/Callstack
    - estimated number of repeats of a method possible in one second
    - average duration of a method (in milliseconds and microseconds)
    - number of times a method was called since profile start
    - percentage of the duration inside the instigating method

Tell me what you think?

Some images:

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  2. Marrrk

Marrrk

No one seems interested, may I ask why?

3. Tiles

Tiles

I find it great :)

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I wrote something similar a while back and due to lack of interest I never bothered continuing (actually sold the injectio code to another guy working on a profiling tool).

That said I hadn't got the interface to the level that yours look to be at (although I did have some nice charts, which I turned in to an Editor charting library https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/8159 :) ).

My hypothesis was that a lot of free users are mostly looking for starter kits and assets to make their game look good, and pro users already have a profiler.

I still think there's a market there for the right tool. Good luck.

5. Aspiring_Failure

Aspiring_Failure

I think that's really cool, and would find it IMMENSELY useful. A graph to to visually compare the stats over time would be really nice, but even in it's current form I think this is pretty cool.

6. Myhijim

Myhijim

ETA or price, I'd be quite interested :)

7. virror

virror

I think most users have any idea on how useful a profiler really is, as JohnnyA says, most users "just want to make a cool game" and don't really care about or don't have the knowledge about optimizing their game.
    This is looking very good though!

8. Marrrk

Marrrk

Yes this sounds quite right.

@JohnnyA: Your Assets looks great, I think I will make use of it when my paypal account is balanced again :)

@Myhijim: I tend to make it around 20USD, but I am open for suggestions and I think it will be finished very soon, right now I await a initial approval from the asset store team, but unti I release it at final I need to fix 2 bugs (performance with the UI redraw seems to be staggering slow sometimes, and some assemblies will show some strange behaviour with the profiler).

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  9. Myhijim

Myhijim

Sounds great, will definitely give it a look, as I am a far way off unity pro.

10. Marrrk

Marrrk

I finally fixed one of the bigger bugs I mentioned and added the graph feature JohnnA suggested (would have loved to use your asset, but the AssetStore was not usable here :()

11. exiguous

exiguous

all people caring for performance use UnityPro anyway ? ;)

this guy looks for a method to estimate the memory usage. maybe you can help him out.

albeit i'm not in the state to profile/optimize my game i consider a purchase because of the possibility to profile builds.

anyway good work. and as you already have spent so much time developing it it would be a waste not to publish it.

12. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

Looks fantastic, whilst my game is still around 3-4 months from being anywhere near finished something like this would be a blessing for optimization.

13. JamesIV4

JamesIV4

My current project is lagging on Android. Your profiler would sure come in handy to track down the offending parts.

14. AustinK

AustinK

This would be something I would be interested in if it isn't to costly.

15. testandi

testandi

I tried to use it and it once ran and then I couldnt manage to start capturing it again. I have enabled the profiler and am using the standard IP address and the standard port, but the capturing button is not pushable

Best wishes

Andi