Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Profile Analizer features request

Discussion in 'Profiler Previews' started by roberto_sc, Aug 5, 2019.

1. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

I want to thank you guys again for this amazing tool. I love it, I use it almost every day.

I'd like to be able to filter methods in the main list based on their parents. For example, I go to a given depth and see that some method is taking too long. I have to go back to the Profiler window and investigate this method, looking at various frames to find which children take long. So it would be nice to somehow mark a method in the filter list and when going deeper in Depth I'd see only its children. Perhaps a "Parent" in the filter combo, along with "All" and "Any"?

Also, as discussed in another thread, it would be very good to have a column (or something similar) to show the total contribution of the method over all frames. It's more important to find the method that runs every frame and takes 2ms instead of the one that runs 10 times and takes 3ms.

As a nice to have feature, I'd like to suggest the ability to see the frames histogram in the Summary windows in logarithmic scale. That would allow us to more easily notice methods that spike: they normally have a very high count in the low-range bars that make the the count in the high-range ones invisible (see figure).

Attached Files:

alexeyzakharov likes this.
  2. lyndon_unity

lyndon_unity

Unity Technologies

Great suggestions, thank you.

Some work has been done in two of those areas and will be present in the next release. This will include:
    • Parent filtering. So only the children of the selected "parent marker" will be shown. Currently only a single parent can be selected. This has proven to be a useful addition.
    • A column for total marker time over all frames. This is hidden by default; right clicking on the column titles toggling on/off selected columns.
    Logarithmic scale is a good idea, but that has not been implemented at this time.
    I'll add that to our feature request list for consideration in future updates.

Thank you for the feedback.
    This updated package release should be available shortly before Unite 2019 and contains some other enhancements.

3. roberto_sc

roberto_sc

Nice, thank you.
    Regarding the column for total over all frames, did you guys think about doing it for GC alloc as well?
    Would be interesting to find out who is loading GC most.