Search Unity

Question Product license if you build the project through VisualStudio

Discussion in 'Windows' started by P_e_t_a_c_h_e_k, Oct 30, 2022.

1. P_e_t_a_c_h_e_k

P_e_t_a_c_h_e_k

Good evening. I have a question about the Create Visual Studio Solution function. I want to change version and description of .exe. To do this, I need to compile the project with VisualStudio (vs 2019 in my case). The project was compiled perfectly, the description changed, the version too. After analyzing the .sln files, I noticed that the Windows.h header is used in the PrecompiledHeader.h file.

As far as I know that this header is part of the Windows SDK, it turns out that my project gets
    under the WindowsSDK license if I'm going to compile with VS?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

No, Windows SDK license isn't viral. You, as a developer, have to agree to license terms (when installing Visual Studio) but your built game/project does not and you can do whatever you want with it.

Practically all software on Windows is built using the Windows SDK, including 99% of games. I wouldn't worry about it as it's a standard way to build applications on Windows.

P_e_t_a_c_h_e_k likes this.
  3. P_e_t_a_c_h_e_k

P_e_t_a_c_h_e_k

Thanks for your reply! Then I correctly understood that the final product should not contain any mention / consent to the WindowsSdk license?

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That is my understanding. Unity is also built using Windows SDK :).