Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Processor issue in pre.8 and pre.9

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by jeffwilcke, May 11, 2022.

1. jeffwilcke

jeffwilcke

Hello. Since I've upgraded from 1.0.0-pre.7 to pre.9 I'm getting the following generator errors (same happens with pre.8):

(0,0): error - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.| at
    Unity.Netcode.Editor.CodeGen.INetworkSerializableILPP.Process(ICompiledAssembly compiledAssembly) in

Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Editor/CodeGen/INetworkSerializableILPP.cs:line 116 at

Unity.Netcode.Editor.CodeGen.INetworkSerializableILPP.Process(ICompiledAssembly compiledAssembly) in

Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0 pre.9/Editor/CodeGen/INetworkSerializableILPP.cs:line 116

Any advice?

2. AaronKB

AaronKB

Hi, did you find a solution to this? I just started getting this today too - I have added a new object for serialisation and there are generics involved so I'm wondering if there's an issue there.

This minimal code below causes the error. If I comment out T data (Making the class useless of course) then it's fine.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class PrivateClientData<T> : NetworkBehaviour where T : INetworkSerializable, IEquatable<T>
    2. {
    3.         T data;
    4. }
    Thanks

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  3. jeffwilcke

jeffwilcke

Late reply, sorry for that.

I did sort of worked around the issue by changing the code in
    Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Editor/CodeGen/INetworkSerializableILPP.cs
    . I added a
    ?
    after
    Resolve()

I wish someone from Unity would actually look in to this

remzisch likes this.
  4. viknesh2020

viknesh2020

Didn't solve my issue. When I edit the script to add ?, it get automatically undone after I save.

5. jeffwilcke

jeffwilcke

Make sure you open the file through Unity and not explorer/finder. I think you're editing the cache, which gets overwritten

6. viknesh2020

viknesh2020

I opened the script from Project tab inside Unity. Is there anything that I am missing?

7. AaronKB

AaronKB

Thanks for the reply - I abandoned this completely but good to see you found a solution. I wish there was more action on Unity's part for these sorts of things. I'm getting a NetworkList sync issue now (Not syncing to standalone clients).....

8. jesseo_unity

jesseo_unity

Unity Technologies

This issue (a null reference in the ILPP code when creating a generic inheriting from NetworkBehavior) is fixed in 1.0.0-pre.10 which is available now. Please update and give it a try.

As for the NetworkList sync issues mentioned by AaronKB, this is being tracked in github and we're looking for someone who can provide a minimal repro as we cannot reproduce this internally.