Search Unity

Procedural worlds

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by sarum, Apr 20, 2016.

1. sarum

sarum

i made these models from scratch using Archimatix .. they were very fun and very fast to make.

about terrain composer, i have never used it... but the version 2 looks pretty good.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  2. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

A chance glance at a year-old thread, and I now know what asset I will absolutely be buying when it comes out. Thanks for showing that model.

Xepherys likes this.
  3. sarum

sarum

the author has submited Archimatix almost 2 weeks ago to the assetstore .. it should be out any day now .. have fun with it :)

4. sarum

sarum

1.png

1b.png

2s4.png

2t4.png

2t5.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    turboscalpeur and TeagansDad like this.
  5. sarum

sarum

6. sarum

sarum

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Why are you posting a bunch of pictures without comment? Yes, they're beautiful, but how did you make them? How can we do the same? What are the Game Design lessons to be shared here?

8. sarum

sarum

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, I'm not downloading a random 7z from somebody's Dropbox. Put it on youtube or something.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  10. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

And add some words explaining what Game Design lessons you are trying to show.

It's like this thread has become your personal portfolio... I do love your work, but can we please get back on topic?

11. Martin_H

Martin_H

yolo!

pretty nice, but the trees look like they are one step more simplified than the knight or the terrain, and their movement is way too fast and too strong. They look like they're alive and angrily shaking their branches at you.
    If the game is supposed to be about exploration, keep in mind that exploration is only fun if there are things to do and discover. Make sure not to step into the same traps as no man's sky did with the procedural content.

The thread doesn't belong in the game design forum, but within this thread he's looking very on topic to me. Can't really hold him responsible that no one else is contributing, so it invariably turns into a portfolio thread. I'm not even sure where it would fit well, we don't have a dedicated art forum. General graphics is more technical I believe and the ongoing small artwork thread removes all context. Maybe a wip thread in the work in progress forum, since this seems to be all for the same project?

theANMATOR2b and JoeStrout like this.
  12. sarum

sarum

i am an enthusiastic person, so i have the tendency of sharing in real time these little procedurals experiments (while working on them) .. i agree with the wind in the trees, i just had not tweaked the windzone yet.

indeed :)

13. sarum

sarum

the Game Design lesson to be shared here is : have fun, experiment, enjoy the whole process.

eaque and antoripa like this.
  14. N00MKRAD

N00MKRAD

Woah, those procedural gens are awesome.

What's better for structures (houses, etc) - Gaia or Map Magic?

15. sarum

sarum

kinda the same, it's a matter of taste.
    i have been using Vegetation Studio Beta lately.

JoeStrout likes this.
  16. chelnok

chelnok

No problem, keep sharing. But pretty please, keep also telling us the tools / assets used, just like you did in earlier posts.

neoshaman and JoeStrout like this.
  17. sarum

sarum

18. sarum

sarum

19. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Moving this to works in progress, it isn't about game design.

20. sarum

sarum

actually i think it is .. the goal of this thread is to see how far procedural creation can be pushed before one has to start going manual .. and to me, it is really a Game Design decision.

these are not a work in progress

21. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Definitely not game design. If you are confused, please read the notices in that forum. When you are posting work you have done, it goes in one of two places, Made with Unity for complete/released projects or works in progress for things are ongoing / in development / experimental, etc.

22. sarum

sarum

let's go experimental then :)

23. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Correct, that is why it's here. This the perfect place for it.

24. sarum

sarum

actually i am a bit confused :

• If you are posting a small piece of work it MUST be posted in the small works thread
    • If you create a thread it should be about YOUR game / project / personal / work
    • Only create a thread if you intend to update it with progress over a period of time of at least 1 month, small "Check out my character" or "Look at my mini game" will be closed.
    • ONLY UNITY PROJECTS IF YOU CREATE A THREAD (if you have done something nice art related etc. feel free to post it in the small works thread)
    • As I said, I will be closing and deleting threads that do not conform to these rules with no discussion. Please put your stuff in the right place, and follow the rules.

for example, if i don't update this thread at least once a month .. does it means it will be deleted ?

25. sarum

sarum

sorry forgot to add this :)

26. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

No threads aren't deleted for not being updated. And you have already posted updates well over a month. It's fine.

27. sarum

sarum

you got me worried for a moment here :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  28. Martin_H

Martin_H

That's just because they like to use it as sort of additional advertising space I think. Your thread fits in here just fine.

On the last pic you posted I think the texture tiling on the mountain is a bit too obvious.

29. sarum

sarum

30. sarum

sarum

i am really impressed by Unity latest video ... the new Unity 2018 High-Definition Render Pipeline looks really awesome !!