Search Unity

Feature Request Procedural Stochastic Texturing Node - A powerful node, but never implemented

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by FernandoMK, Jan 5, 2021.

?

Would you like to have this implemented natively?

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    97.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

Some time ago, unity introduced the procedural stochastic texturing.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/02/14/procedural-stochastic-texturing-in-unity/

This was amazing, it was a way to completely eliminate tiles with textures like the image. but since then, nothing has changed and we are still without this formidable native technology in the shader graph.

This node is very important for everyone who uses the shader graph, as it allows the creation of procedural textures completely eliminating the predictability of nearby tiles.

So I would like to know if it is possible to introduce this node in an upcoming Shader Graph update.:)

NotaNaN, Lex4art, Thaina and 7 others like this.
  2. XRA

XRA

I voted no, because Unity should make Shader Graph fully extendable by users, thus avoiding this whole problem.

What actually is better would be Unity using the stochastic texturing technique as a dogfood test that Shader Graph is easily customizable from outside the package assembly.

If shader graph had customizable inputs and much better material inspector markup / customizable property attributes this would be possible.

andreyefimov2010 and FernandoMK like this.
  3. jbooth

jbooth

I actually released my own take on this approach for the Shader Graph a while back- but removed it when the closed the node API to developers. I still sell the node for Amplify's Shader Editor, which allows you to write custom nodes for it.

Thought I'll note that my technique is different than this one, using a Height Blend operator with a height map or luminosity of the diffuse to do the blending, which IMO works a lot better and is much, much simpler than the gradient technique presented in the paper (and, more importantly, correlates the blend between all the textures).

4. Ruchir

Ruchir

Why though?o_O
    Why would they close it for developers?

Could you still share the files so that I could take a look at it though :)

5. dannyr83

dannyr83

damn unity for not continuing this... Gosh they make things hard these days with all the changes.

djoledjole2 and newguy123 like this.
  6. Cascho01

Cascho01

Please give us back the fantastic stochastic node - thanks.

dannyr83 and newguy123 like this.
  7. bonickhausen

bonickhausen

Soooooo.... is Unity Technologies going to do anything about this? I mean, yeah, this won't do anything to please any of the shareholders I suppose but it would be very neat for the devs! Please think of the devs!

8. funkyCoty

funkyCoty

If they thought of devs then maybe their shareholders would be happier too.

upload_2022-5-27_18-1-3.png

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    bonickhausen likes this.
  9. scrawk

scrawk

I feel this is something the Unity community could implement quite easily.

I have a aperiodic shader which is similar but is a bit of work setting up.