Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Procedural Sky

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BogdanGochev, Oct 30, 2016.

1. BogdanGochev

BogdanGochev

Procedural Sky lets you create beautiful and colorful skies very easy. Just pick the colors of the sky elements (horizon, sun, halos) and let the the procedural sky shader do all the heavy lifting.

- Artist oriented, no need for complicated configurations. Just pick the colors of the different sky elements like you are painting the sky.
    - Optimized and very fast performance.
    - Runs on mobile and desktop as it only requires Shader Model 2.
    - A simple MonoBehaviour scripts that control the position of the sun. It can be added on any light or other plain GameObject.
    - Realtime Preview inside Editor.
    - Different sky examples.

Available on the Asset Store

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 3.48.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 3.16.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 7.06.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 7.04.52 PM.png

Note: This asset doesn't include any models

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. dearamy

dearamy

No moon or stars?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  3. BogdanGochev

BogdanGochev

Currently no, but that is a very good suggestion. I will investigate it and get back to you.

4. Thickshake

Thickshake

I bought it and i'm really liking what I see so far.. But the 'Bottom Color' doesn't seem to change, it's just solid black below the horizon. Am I doing something wrong?

5. BogdanGochev

BogdanGochev

Thank for you interest in the asset.
    It very strange that the bottom color stays solid black, that is definitely not right. I don't think you are doing something wrong as there aren't that many options that can cause this type of error. Sounds more like either integration issue with the asset or something else completely. What version of Unity do you use ? Maybe the easies way is for you to send me the scene on my email and I will check it out.

6. Amadeu

Amadeu

Here another one with the same issue regarding the bottom part, the sun is also giving me some weird artifacts.
    I'm using Unity 5.6 and also a couple of camera components: beautify and hbao.

Hoping that you're working on it because this shader can be a GREAT artistic tool.

7. BogdanGochev

BogdanGochev

Hi Amadeu,
    I'm very much supporting this asset as I too believe that it can save a lot of time and effort in creating nice skies.
    The issue that you are experiencing is something that i definitely want to resolve, but the last person that had it didn't provide me any more details and i couldn't reproduce the error.
    Could you please send me on my email a scene with these issue so I can reproduce it and resolve it.
    Also which operating system you are using ?

Here is a screenshot of me running the asset on Unity 5.6 Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 11.29.58 PM.png

8. candycat

candycat

I just purchased the asset and also found the bottom color problem. After digging into the shader, I found that this can be fixed by replacing the code in ProceduralSky.shader:

Code (CSharp):
    1. inline fixed4 sky_gradient(v2f i) {
    2. ...
    3. fixed topBlending = pow(y_distance, _topSkyColorBlending);
    4. fixed bottomBlending = pow(y_distance, _bottomSkyColorBlending);
    5. ...
    6. }
    to

Code (CSharp):
    1. fixed topBlending = pow(abs(y_distance), _topSkyColorBlending);
    2. fixed bottomBlending = pow(abs(y_distance), _bottomSkyColorBlending);
    And the bottom color just works.

9. BogdanGochev

BogdanGochev

Thank you a lot @candycat !!!
    I will test it a bit and update the asset with that fix. If you want, you can PM your name or nick and I will include you in a text file as a contributor into the asset :)

10. candycat

candycat

@BogdanGochev Wow, you can include my nick name candycat. It's kind of you ;)

I'm just wondering, are you inspired by the work of Firewatch they presented in GDC? I found this asset when I was searching a similar procedural skybox solution of Firewatch. Great work and neat code by the way.

11. BogdanGochev

BogdanGochev

Hi, I have a rule that everybody that contributes code or patch fixes to any of my assets gets a contributor mention. It's my way to show my gratitude towards these people :)

About Firewatch, you are totally right. I too saw that GDC presentation and was very impressed by the simplicity and at the same time the utility of their tools. So I decided to "clone" their sky system. Still, I have some things missing (like clouds and stars), but the basic is there. Also the clouds will be very complicated/heavy to do procedurally, majority of assets, and I think Firewatch as well, just overlay textures.

12. Thickshake

Thickshake

Hey glad this issue is solved. Sorry I didnt reply BogdanGochev , it's weird, I bookmarked this thread and returned to it like days later but didn't see your reply :/ My browser must have cached and not updated it or something, cos I would have tried to help out. Im running 5.5. Will let you know if it's solved on this version.

13. BogdanGochev

BogdanGochev

Hi @Thickshake, most probably is the cache. Try with your browser "incognito/private" mode, as it never stores cache and you always get the latest version.
    In any case, please, let me know if it's solved for you. The asset with candycat fix was just approved by the Unity Asset Store (version 1.0.1), so you should update before trying it out.

14. Thickshake

Thickshake

All good in 5.5 ;) Very nice blending!

15. BogdanGochev

BogdanGochev

Thank you @Thickshake for getting back. Happy is working fine now.

16. creat327

creat327

is this still working? I see it's years old. I want to run it super fast on old mobile devices and the current default skybox seems lacking

17. BogdanGochev

BogdanGochev

Hi, even if it's a project starter a while ago it's very much maintained, so if you have any issues let me know.

18. creat327

creat327

is it faster than the default unity procedural sky? is there a comparison?

19. BogdanGochev

BogdanGochev

I don't have a performance comparison against Unity procedural sky, but given that the shader is quite optimized and relatively simple calculations I do expect it to faster or at least at the same level.
    In any case if you have any performance issues with it I will fix them or give you a refund.