Search Unity

Procedural Planet Generation

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Cool101jr, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Cool101jr

Cool101jr

So I'm working on a type of mobile God game and in it there's going to be a system at the start where it asks you questions and uses the answers to generate a planet that you will be able to zoom in on and fly around to look at the little guys on it working away and living.
    Ex: Your answers come together that you want it to be a medium sized desert planet with a few oceans and very mountainous. I want the system to be able to pull those answers together and use a generation system to make a planet that matches that description.

My question is, how do I set up a system like that? I know it's possible but I can't find any tutorials or walkthroughs on the subject and I'm lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

You are likely looking wrong keywords. I doubt there is such complete system anywhere, as you describe.

But you need dissect problem into components.
    Planet generation,
    Camera movement,
    LOD (optional)
    UI

These are just very brief points.

3. Cool101jr

Cool101jr

That's what I had planned to do. The UI and camera won't be hard to do, I'm just having trouble figuring out how to generate the planets.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

I have no idea, what that may involve in your project.
    I can only suggest, look into procedural planet generation.
    There are tons of topics on this subject, as well assets.

5. Cool101jr

Cool101jr

Alright, thank you.

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Just so your aware, your chances of making any profit on mobile platform from a game of this scope are slim to none, and it sounds like it would make a perfectly decent small sized pc game or console game, which is what I would do.

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

Well that is good point. If I was OP, I would rather focus on PC / Console platforms as well.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  8. Cool101jr

Cool101jr

Alrighty, I figured a mobile game would be the easiest thing to do for a first game but I'd y'all think it'd be better for pc, I'll do that.