Search Unity

Procedural mesh with Fade Shader rendering surface in wrong order

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Insurecti, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Insurecti

Insurecti

Hello people!

I'm making an hexagonal grid map with procedural mesh scripting. This is my first play with procedural meshes.
    Thing is: it has a gradient-to-transparent texture to create a "fading into the deep" effect on the bottom of it, so the Standard-Opaque shader won't do.

I thought Standard-Fade would work, but it gets all messed up. Tried all available shaders and rendering modes, and played with the configurations, but nothing does the trick.

Here's it under Standard-Opaque, just fine:
    upload_2019-6-26_19-51-18.png

Now under Standard-Fade:
    upload_2019-6-26_19-53-8.png

It really gets messed up when looking from the higher sides. The lower surfaces are being rendered on top of the higher ones:
    upload_2019-6-26_19-54-8.png upload_2019-6-26_19-56-32.png

Can someone please advise me on this? I'm really dummy with Shaders and why it is behaving like this is a total mystery to me xD

2. Insurecti

Insurecti

Well... Tried some new sets of keywords on Google and found this:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-CullAndDepth.html

Look under "Transparent shader with depth writes".

The transparent Shaders ignore Z-Order. Just write a new Shader, using the code provided on the link. It will enable Z-Order and call the standard transparent Shader. Worked like a charm here

3. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

why not, instead of fading to transparent, you fade to background color?

richardkettlewell likes this.
  4. Insurecti

Insurecti

Interesting... Did not even knew there was such an option.

How would I do this? :oops: Instead of fading to transparent, fade to the same color as background? If so, I would not be able to use it, since I plan on having a lot of color customization, including the map and background, operating through material colour manipulation alone.

5. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

Since I don't think you can get camera background color from shader, you can set the background color in the shader from script using material.SetColor("_BackgroundColor", camera.backgroundColor).
    Of course, you'll need a custom shader for this, but I think it shouldn't be too hard to modify from you current shader...
    Maybe changing/adding from
    Code (csharp):
    2. col = tex2D(_MainTex, uv);
    to
    Code (csharp):
    2. col = tex2D(_MainTex, uv);
    3. col.rgb = lerp(col.rgb, _BackgroundColor, col.a);
    4. col.a = 1;