Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Procedural maps/worlds for sim games

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Paxew, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Paxew

Paxew

Hi, I'm currently creating a module that procedurally generates world/maps. Maps are created in a low poly style similar to Transport Tycoon and other old sim games.

The maps are generated with different biomes that behave differently, e.g. desert zones do not have trees while humid zones do have trees relative to how much moisture the zone has. In colder zones diffrent and smaller trees are growing...

The maps are automatically split into tiles upon generation so that they can be loaded/unloaded as needed, e.g. for performance reasons.

Some additional features to be implemented:
    - Realtime terrain deformation, i.e. raising/lowering flattening areas
    - Procedural road generation and building placement
    - Lod generation for the tiles

Will update the thread when more features are ready to be shown.

Feel free to ask anything and I can provide more information if there is interest.

Screenshots:
    map.png
    map2.png
    map3.png
    map4.png

2. embeddedt

embeddedt

@Paxew I play OpenTTD fairly often so this looks exciting! Are you planning to release it for free?

3. Paxew

Paxew

Thanks! Yes thats a great game and from where the inspiration to this comes from. :)

I'm making this for one of my games, and at the moment I haven't thought about releasing it separately. But I'm trying to keep the terrain module as loosely coupled as possible so it possible to integrate it into other projects. So who knows, maybe in the future it will be available. ;)

Updates:
    - I've now added multithreading support for the terrain so the tiles can be generated without causing lag spikes.
    - Realtime deformation is possible, i.e lowering or increasing the terrain height at wanted points.
    - Tree/object placement is now generated using "cellular automata" rules to get more interesting tree placements.
    Different biomes can have different rules to make them feel/look different.
    - Its possible to switch between "OpenTTD" style terrain and traditional terrain

Will try to post some more screenshots/videos of this but I'm busy doing parts of the networking backend of the game at the moment.