Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Procedural Generation for a SpaceSim

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by bteo10, Mar 12, 2019.

1. bteo10

bteo10

Hello, I am new to Unity and I was wondering where to start in order to get good at this

My goal:
    To create a space simulation type of game where you can explore infinite (or semi-infinite) space. The content (stars, planets, asteroids, dust) is generated as you travel through space (like in Minecraft). I DON'T want to seamlessly transition from space to a planet or anything like that. Just to see the objects (maybe interact with some asteroids).

I see here and there tutorials on how to procedurally generate caves or other terrain but I'm not sure if I can make the transition to 3d space from that. Should I best start by learning how to make a small finite space sim and THEN learn to procedurally generate it?

What are some good tutorials or books for this sort of thing?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

If you're new to Unity, you should begin by putting this goal on the back burner for a few months. Go through any tutorial which either (1) interests you, or (2) looks like it will teach you something you don't already know. Don't worry about whether it has anything to do with space sims or procedural generation; level up your skills everywhere you can.

By the time you've done all that, this will not seem like too daunting a project. Procedural generation isn't very tricky; the Math.PerlinNoise function (or similar) is the basis of pretty much everything, and it's not too complicated. But again, don't worry about this until "new to Unity" no longer applies to you. :)

3. bteo10

bteo10

Thanks, I'm familiar with it, but it's safe to say that I'm probably still a beginner. I'm not experienced in game development or procedural generation particularly but I want to learn. I know C# and how to program in general pretty well from uni. I don't expect to get the hang of this without time and effort, I just wanted like a good starting point for the direction in which I'm heading.

4. Green11001

Green11001

im not sure how you want it, but if its just some asteroids you can just add 2 points, and then find a random point inbetween the points a certain number of times depending on how many asteroids you want, creating an asteroid each time