Search Unity

Procedural Dungeon Toolkit - Dungeon Themed Procedural Generation Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by r3eckon, Sep 23, 2016.

?

What kind of update would you like to see released first ?

Poll closed May 13, 2018.
  1. Prefab placement helper GUI ( Easily editing the generation point of objects without code )

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Generation rules editor GUI ( Editing the current generation parameters for custom levels )

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Level type selection GUI ( Easily selecting , adding , removing saved types of levels )

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Add more assets to the current level ( Chests , Rare Items )

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. AI manager script ( For mob pathing / spawning )

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  6. Other / Post in thread

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. hoodoo

hoodoo

Thanks for the info on this. I'm also wondering if the floor, ceiling and wall prefabs from 3dForge Village Interiors can be used directly in your asset. Specifically, how do these prefabs get positioned such that everything is seamless? These prefabs can be positioned correctly when using a 0.5 snap setting. Does it matter where the center of each prefab is located?

Looks like I missed the sale at $10 :), but if it works well for what I want I will definitely purchase. I have used the Daedalus Dungeon Generator with the prefabs included in that asset, but now I want to generate rooms and passage ways with my own prefabs. I could try using Daedalus, but it's not too active anymore, and the requirements for the prefabs seemed fairly difficult. Also they don't do the object generation and placement. I wrote my own code to place objects and NPCs, but I really like that you are investing effort into doing this in your asset. And I like to use assets that are still active and "alive". Cheers!

2. r3eckon

r3eckon

If the wall prefab is a cube it will work flawlessly and without any positioning , you could replace it in the demo scene and they will fit with the rest of my basic layout. floor and ceiling tiles are usually square tiles so they should fit without any rescaling. Usually assets that claim to be "modular" should work best, but as long as you can fit them on top of the base layout in a way you think works great , there are no requirements for adding your own objects. Any game object can be used to generate dungeons with this asset if you use them correctly.

Most objects will require a specific position and can be moved around using a Vector 3 for basic movement and Vector 4 for movement that translates towards a certain direction ( currently the north of the matched pattern ). Assuming each tile in this map is to be filled with a wall , a translation of (0,0,0) is the center of each of these walls. For torches I had to translate towards the wall by 1.52 since my model had a bit of overlap behind it.

Here is a quick video demonstrating how I use these translation parameters to place objects. This is from the previous version where coding was required to add your own objects so the list of object is limited to hard-coded objects. At the time it was more focused on the demo dungeon and its assets.

Since the basic map is a tile map when creating my own assets I had this idea in mind.And since most models on the asset store probably didnt take this into consideration , rather than directly using the assets with the generator for creating the base layout, it will be easier for you to use the default game objects to create a base dungeon layout and build onto these basic objects with decorative assets like the rounded corners and such. You will then be able to detect when and where to add each decoration on top of the layout to make it look better !

If you want a good idea about how this all works , you can have a look at the PDF and youtube tutorials posted in the OP :)

3. r3eckon

r3eckon

How do you guys like the new version so far ? If anyone had any problem with the custom objects so far please let me know , I will wait for some feedback and release a first patch for potential bugs as soon as they are found. In the mean time , I will be working on some AI path finding scripts . I might write my own pathfinding solution from scratch if there is a need to do it but I really think navmesh generation at runtime would be even better for most cases.

4. rdograndy

rdograndy

Bro your toolkit is so perfect!! It's adorable and so powerful. I plan on making a dungeon crawler, and using your toolkit for the level generation and such. It would be really cool if you did the enemy spawning for the next update. That's really the last piece I need to make it pop. I plan on it being a adventure type game. With the update that just came out I can spawn arrows for a bow and shields for the player to use it's gonna be so awesome! :) Thank you for releasing this. I'm not really good at coding so this made everything a lot easier for a one man team

5. r3eckon

r3eckon

Thank you so much for your kind words, Im happy you like the asset :) I indeed plan on making the enemy spawning and path finding next ! Navmeshes look like the right way to go since Unity will then handle the rest on its own. About your own pickupable items, I believe you will need a little bit of programming to get them to work like you intend to , especially since I assume these items will have a gameplay implication for your player.

Right now there are two ways to go about this : placing items using the Custom Object UI then adding a script to pick up these objects ( great for unique items ) , or add your own items to the item manager script then use item spawners to place and pick them ( great for common items ).

The item manager script spawns objects and handles the interaction between the player and an object. As a quick example , here are what my items did : The oil bottles simply incremented the oil bottle count of my player by 1 while the keys incremented the key count by 1. Then hitting a locked door removes a key and running out of oil lamp removes a bottle ! The script also featured a randomizer for the generation of items , so that each spawn randomly picks from my list of items.

6. rdograndy

rdograndy

Well the arrows themselves won't be special. Every time you shoot the bow the arrow number will decrease by one. Is there any way to show the amount of each item you have as of the latest update? I'm actually on break and away from my computer now. The shields will need some additional code definitely. For instance if the player's shield is damaged passing by a shield will restore it and if the player has no shield he will get one. I'll have to look that up though because I'm a noob still XD

7. r3eckon

r3eckon

@rdgorandy Of course , I have a simple UI script that can print text on the screen , I would look up some UI tutorials or some UI assets if you really dont know how this all works :) I would recommend some general tutorials on the matter but as long as you have some scripting experience you should be able to follow the many official tutorials. Youtube and Google are your friends !

8. r3eckon

r3eckon

2 small updates incoming, first up is a simple store page update and a couple of bug fixes and small missing features I have been asked to implement by email. Currently working on navmesh generation and a couple of AI scripts !

StevenPicard likes this.
  9. r3eckon

r3eckon

The next update has just been sent, as suggested to me by a user I have fixed the hierarchy for scene nodes by grouping them under map and enabling the use of dark skin by making labels white in the appropriate case. The most important fix is of a problem I was unaware of until trying to build a new demo where custom objects did not load.

This problem was due to the asset database being a editor only feature of unity, therefore the custom object file has been moved to "Resources/PDTFiles/Saved Data". A resources folder can be loaded in build and in the editor, but Custom Objects still cannot be archived into a single save file. A new folder located at "Resources/PDTFiles/Required Objects" will be used to save the prefabs used by custom objects.

Once you are done creating your custom objects and are ready to build, a new button with the label "Archive Custom Objects ( Prepare for Build )" is used to archive the custom object prefabs. Without archiving objects before building unity may encounter bugs during build, so make sure you click this button before building if you have added new object slots or changed the prefabs of an existing custom objects.

StevenPicard likes this.
  10. rdograndy

rdograndy

Seems as though with the last updates, the player has been removed from the demo scene. It says missing prefab(dummy)

11. r3eckon

r3eckon

Did you import the characters default package before opening the demo scene ? I did not update the readme file but the process to get the demo going is still the same : after importing the asset you must import the Characters default package in Asset > Import Package. Once that's done import the Dependencies package in the root of the Procedural Dungeon Toolkit folder to import the needed textures and models for this scene.

12. r3eckon

r3eckon

13. rdograndy

rdograndy

oh yeah lol forgot to do that

14. r3eckon

r3eckon

Im glad you fixed your problem :)

15. r3eckon

r3eckon

Here is a video I forgot to post in this thread when I uploaded it to my channel, its about how custom objects are used to re create the basic layout !

16. r3eckon

r3eckon

Spent some time earlier today making a little something to test out the object generation... looks like everything works as intended :)

Here is the model I used ! I will include round corners by default in an upcoming version.

And finally the settings to generate the corners, no need for any translation since the pivot was placed in the middle of the imaginary cube surrounding the model.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  17. rdograndy

rdograndy

I have turned this into a mboile vr app :D If only I could figure out how to get the map to follow your head movement lol looking around trying to find it is a bit of a chore but oh well

Attached Files:

18. r3eckon

r3eckon

Nice textures ! I bet you could simply parent the map object to the camera to make it follow its movement. Does the mobile vr sdk you are using give you a special type of unity camera or prefab to use when making vr apps ? If so parent the map to that and it should follow head movement, right now its only parented to player and not the camera so thats why it just follows horizontal rotation.

19. r3eckon

r3eckon

Another type of rounded corners !

20. rdograndy

rdograndy

I have a Moto X Pure Edition and that thing is a beast, but whenever I tried doing anything else to up the textures more than they already were, it kept crashing lol So made a seperate project and did a pc build. These are textures from the Decreipt Dungeon LITE btw and I purchased a auto Tilling tool to do the rest

Attached Files:

21. r3eckon

r3eckon

Are those some high res textures ? Perhaps you simply need to go into build settings and play with the available memory for the mobile builds, as high res textures require alot more ram than regular textures. If you think its related to a script you can also try a dev build and check the error logs, but immediate crashes are likely due to running out of ram or something like that.

22. r3eckon

r3eckon

I had been aware of a small yet annoying bug with the asset for a while that I cannot seem to fix by using the existing scripts : Unity does not load your custom objects until you open up the drop down containing the object slots, causing NullReferenceExceptions being thrown since objects do not contain a linked game object in their slot. To hopefully fix that problem I will be adding a special type of script to the asset which will execute a piece of code upon the project being launched, to make sure objects are loaded as soon as you enter the editor. This problem is not present on build versions of the games you create with the asset and only seems to be an editor related problem.

The current walk around is to simply open the Object Slots and Toggles drop down once before launching the game for the first time after launching the editor.

23. r3eckon

r3eckon

After looking through my code for a while I managed to find the cause of and fix the problem without having to use a script running at unity startup. Objects are now loaded correctly even if you do not open the custom editor beforehand. This error was due to Serialization not being able to save prefabs correctly upon exiting unity, making them become corrupted.

The DungeonGeneratorGUI editor script has a loop going through the objects looking for the name of each prefab and linking the correct game object for the GUI to use, yet the DungeonGenerator script alone did not do this on its own and tried instantiating empty objects.

This was fixed by calling a non GUI version of this same loop, going around custom objects names to apply the right prefab to each object. A new version containing this fix and rounded corners should release sometime next week :)

StevenPicard likes this.
  24. r3eckon

r3eckon

Little bit of an update, I kept working for a while before sending the previous update and managed to fix another bunch of issues as well as add an entirely new feature to make sure custom objects dont generate into each other ! Update should still be coming this week !

25. r3eckon

r3eckon

26. r3eckon

r3eckon

27. magique

magique

This looks great and I want to purchase, but I have a few questions. My biggest concern is what the end result of the procedural generation is and whether that is forever shackled to the generator. This concerns me in several ways as follows:

1. I see that you have object pooling and a custom culling system for performance so I'm wondering if this is tied to the generator. So, what if I want to tweak a level after generation and manually place additional objects? Does this work well with what was generated? Can the system spawn and cull those manually added things as well?
    2. What about lightmaps? Do I simply turn off pooling/culling and then bake the lighting that way?
    3. Same as #2 for standard Unity occlusion culling. Do I turn off pooling/culling and bake occlusion? Or does it not play well with Unity occlusion?
    4. What if I decide to change the placement of a procedurally spawned object? For example, it spawned a chest in a room, but I want to move the location. Does the generator honor this or will it place the chest back in the originally spawned location when I run the game?

Finally, can the mini-map be placed in the UI instead of being a plane in world space?

I might have further questions as I think of them, but that's all for now.

28. r3eckon

r3eckon

Thanks for your questions!

1. The culling system used by the asset is only tied to objects that are placed by the generator since it works by turning on and off nodes around the player. If you need to use the regular occlusion culling system I see no problems at all, however the generator's custom object pooling will not work for those objects as it is exclusively for generator objects.

Now the generated levels are entirely procedural and does not allow for post-generation edits. This asset is currently best used as an entirely procedural level generator where you can use small pieces to build levels. Creating entire rooms and trying to attach those to the rest of the level would require that you edit code and create a special tile type that makes sure your room has enough space to generate without clipping through other objects or rooms.

Editing levels after they have been generated is a requested feature I have yet to add to this asset because the ways unity offers to accomplish this are quite buggy with my current script. Purely running the script in editor made my editor get unbearably slow due to the sheer amount of objects in the overall dungeon. You can basically achieve the same result by pausing mid play and trying to select objects in scene mode.

2 and 3. The generator will not be affected by what you do with objects and anything unrelated to this script, therefore any pre made rooms and objects with baked lightmaps should work just as any other object would. Again I dont see a problem with using the default unity pooling if you need it, I think most prefabs are already tagged as static objects too.

4. Yes of course, any changes you make to the position of an object will be reflected in the generated levels. As seen below, every custom object you add to the generation process can be given a position relative to the center of the node it generated around. Here the W component of this Vector4 is used to translate a Drawer model towards the wall it nearby, so that it can rest "against" the wall.

Finally, the map can be drawn on a plane and attached on another object entirely but the way I did it it requires a plane game object on which you link the script and draw the map. It can be set to a non rotating map however, so you can simply parent the map plane to the player camera and it will look exactly like a UI map. If you know how to make actual unity UI you could simply look at the code I use to draw the map on a plane and use that.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask them !

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  29. magique

magique

This is unfortunate. I think this is an absolute must have feature.

I think you misunderstood this question. I meant that if the generator spawned a chest in a room and I change the chest position post-generation then would it remain. Your previous response saying that post-generation edits are not possible means that this is also not possible.

Thanks for all your answers. I will keep an eye on this for future updates that might make this more suitable for my purposes.

30. r3eckon

r3eckon

You are welcome :) I feel like you are looking for more of a way to create your own rooms and corridors that will then be used to populate a dungeon ? I believe other assets with similar names as mine might offer exactly what you are looking for, sadly this asset is best used for creating entirely procedural dungeons even though in theory you could use it to add entire premade rooms to the generation process, just post-generation edits are currently impossible due to the way levels are generated and the amount of active objects resulting from the generation.

Perhaps I did not explain well what this asset is best used for. The main idea with this asset is that anything you might want to place somewhere within a level can be placed there entirely procedurally. If you must create entire rooms by yourself then there is little point in having an entirely procedural level generator, since the procedural generation part wont be experienced by the player if you need to be there to create the level. This generator was created with the idea in mind that most level design can be accomplished by a script if you know why and where each object is placed where it is : Drawers and paintings only generate in rooms against walls, round corners and tables only generate if there is enough space around them, torches only generate towards open areas to avoid placing them outside the map, etc. Again sadly this is definitely not be the best asset to use if you want to create rooms in the unity editor.

If you want to know a little more about how this is used to create coherent levels there are pieces of documentation you can find the OP of this thread detailing how I go create models and then add them to the generation process.

31. magique

magique

Not exactly. I've looked at DunGen, which is more like what you are suggesting I need, but I really don't want to build entire rooms from scratch as that asset requires. I was hoping for something to quickly give me the entire dungeon layout and all the basic features such as doors, torches, etc., but then be able to take the generated result and embellish it with additional details. After all, no random dungeon is ever going to be exactly what I need. But perhaps DunGen, with a bit of extra upfront work, might be a better choice after all.

Thanks for your help.

32. r3eckon

r3eckon

Yeah I see what you mean now. Since you just want the layout, instead of an asset I suggest you look at this open source generator ( which is still an asset, just not a paid one ), perhaps it could interest you since I believe it only generates the layout seen in screenshots. Again you are welcome !

33. r3eckon

r3eckon

Quick update, I just noticed that version 1.9 has been released !

34. rdograndy

rdograndy

How is the enemy spawning system coming along? I have the sword and shield added to my character and am patiently awaiting this feature so I can be done with my project and beat up some badies lol

35. r3eckon

r3eckon

Im currently testing out the asset on Unity 5.6 beta and will soon begin working on implementing the new runtime navmesh generation!

I was going to write my own navigation scripts but this new version of unity contains an API for navmesh generation, so I will be using that instead which should make things easier for you guys afterward since navmeshes are a native unity feature. Its most likely used by other AI assets as well so this should make things more compatible.

However I dont think Im going to be able to release this feature on the asset until the official release hits this version, since I dont think unity allows assets to be released with a beta version of the editor.

36. r3eckon

r3eckon

While waiting for the navigation system I have been greatly reworking and improving the tile map generation of the asset, the room and level generation are now cleaner, missing walls at the edge of small levels have been fixed and I am currently working on a map editor system to edit a generated map through the editor, saving and loading layouts to and from files as well as an entirely new way to control the map generation system !

Using this new level editor, You will be able to add and customize your own tiles types and room types to the generation process, as well as being able to control the flow of the dungeon levels by choosing between middle point or linear generation and then choosing the order in which each tile types can appear. Being able to make sure the level starts with a certain tile type and ends with another in a linear manner allows for item progression while middle point growth makes for entirely random dungeons, therefore the flow of the dungeon will make sure certain tile types must generate before others to control where the spawn and ending rooms are located.

Next update will be coming some time next week with a bunch of extra prefabs such as pillars, small tables, chandeliers, fancy doors and more ! Since this update comes with a new major feature, the price of the asset will be set to $20 USD after it comes out, so make sure you grab it at its current price before the new update releases !

Here is a quick list of future updates currently being worked on that will increase the price of the asset :
    • Level Layout Editor and Custom Tile Types ( next week )
    • Navigation System and Enemy Spawning ( once Unity 5.6 comes out )
    • Decorative prefab and texture pack
    • Interactive prefab and texture pack ( animated doors, cells, levers, good looking map )
    • Generating Dungeon in Editor Mode

37. r3eckon

r3eckon

Sorry about the delay for the next update, I actually ran into a couple unexpected issues with the layout editor. I will send the update once im sure I solved everything but to put it shortly some tile types are being ignored or somehow deleted by the generation process, so a tile type that should always generate at a certain location isn't present anymore. This possibly is what causes the many impossible to access rooms, so I will be spending some extra time to try figure it all out.

38. rdograndy

rdograndy

Status update?

r3eckon likes this.
  39. r3eckon

r3eckon

Currently fixing and fine tuning features of the next update, I may have spoken too soon on the release date since I did not expect that I would have to create an entirely new type of UI to enable map edition, which turns out to be quite laggy and as you can see below looks extremely cluttered.

Sorry again for the delay, I believe the current released version is stable and no urgent bugs need to be addressed so I will keep working on the new version for a little longer before releasing a new update.

40. r3eckon

r3eckon

Hello everyone, Im here with a little progress report for the next update. As you can see from the previous post I have been working on a visual map editor for the toolkit, this UI has been updated a little bit and the map editor is coming along quite nicely and is already a working feature for the generator.

Here you can see the current map editor. A brush selector along with custom colors have been added to make sure you can edit the map with ease. The navigation helper has been cleaned up a little bit as well.

The map editor saves map to a file which the toolkit uses as data to generate the level. As you can see below, this feature works perfectly to load custom level tile maps :)

What remains to be done before this update can finally release is enable custom tile types without having to edit code and fix the level generation a little bit so that it can be integrated inside the map editor.

41. r3eckon

r3eckon

Here is a quick youtube video quickly showing off the new map editor, since my latest post I have been working on getting the custom maps to work with built versions of the games. A new button has been added to archive the current map inside the Resources/PDTFiles/Saved Data folder so that the unity player can reach it.

Also, I have released a new demo build for the custom map seen in the video. Here is the download link !

If everything keeps going well I should be able to release this update by the end of next week.

42. r3eckon

r3eckon

I just sent the next update for validation and it should be live some time next week ! I omitted the custom tile type feature for this fist update for two main reasons : First of all this is a much bigger task than anticipated especially when trying to figure out how I want to represent the various choices each tile has upon generation. If you can program, adding and editing tile types is very much possible although it implies lots of mostly copy/paste code additions throughout a couple different scripts.

Secondly, since I believe the current state of the map editor is absolutely usable for most needs, even if it lacks some features like I explained above, I think it would be a shame not to release it right now for everyone to start using it. After all I cant think of everything without user feedback, so releasing it right now will help me make it better faster.

One small feature I think I missed in the Map Editor tutorial is the new button present if you want to save a procedurally generated map.

Just hit pause after the map is generated and you can save this map to a file that you can then load in the map editor to customize.

Once again I'm sorry about the delay for this new update and I hope you all like the new map editor :)

43. r3eckon

r3eckon

44. r3eckon

r3eckon

Great news, the new version has released about an hour ago !

45. r3eckon

r3eckon

I just sent a quick update for the map editor, added the ability to directly generate a procedural map inside the editor instead of having to save a map while playing it in order to achieve this result. Also fixed a bug with the generation process concerning multi-floor dungeons.

StevenPicard likes this.
  46. r3eckon

r3eckon

New update has just released !

StevenPicard likes this.
  47. r3eckon

r3eckon

I just sent another small update, added 3 new models and most importantly I fixed a small problem with object that had rotations prior to being generated. Prefabs now keep their rotation relative to the north of the detection pattern after being generated.

StevenPicard likes this.
  48. r3eckon

r3eckon

Here is a screenshots featuring one of the new models. The idea behind this "Broken Chains" model is that it's eventually going to be used as a mob spawn point :)

Sadly I still have no idea when unity 5.6 with the runtime navmesh generation features will exit beta.

StevenPicard likes this.
  49. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Looks really good! Unfortunately, so much AI relies on Navmesh. I can't want until that exits beta.

r3eckon likes this.
  50. r3eckon

r3eckon

Here is another screenshot from the next version, this one is a small round table placed in corners, another simple example of item spawning.