Search Unity

Procedural Creatures Generation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hehex4, Mar 27, 2022.

1. hehex4

hehex4

I'm wondering if there is any tutorial about how to create random creatures (like fish, dragons, insects, birds, etc) with curved surfaces. The user just needs to enter a single random number seed in order to get several new creatures.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Search Unity forum for anything about Spore. You should soon find relevant references.

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

It is a royal pain in the arse, so it is unlikely that there's a tutorial.

Spore uses metaparticle with marching cubes (or its equivalent). That's your starting point. "Metaballs" "Marching cubes".

lmbarns likes this.
  4. koirat

koirat

If you are thinking about something like spore than - Don't even start this.

But what you can do is to swap the whole parts of mesh.
    For example:
    Few types of bodies, heads, horns, tails etc.

lmbarns and stain2319 like this.
  5. neginfinity

neginfinity

There's also UMA.

Basically - swapping parts and attachments where new ones have the same type is easy.

Swapping parts where new ones are active parts like limbs and have very different size is much harder.

Free form creature editing (metaparticle mesh with attachments on top of it) like in spore is the hardest.

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

Just to add, there is public repo available, which is close to Spore editor.

But that is quite mid to advanced topic.

eSeraphim, lmbarns and neginfinity like this.
  7. neginfinity

neginfinity

Could you provide a link? This looks interesting. Although depending on its license, it could be unusable.

8. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

9. neoshaman

neoshaman

I want to make a pcg creature editor too, but I want a smooth skin, creatures are basically "tree" (limb, tails, head) stemming from a core (body), I was trying to get 3+ junctions with convex mesh, but never been able to actually code convex mesh resolution .... animation is a lot more trivial than people think, especially since all these procedural feet placement walking system, hand wall contact and head look have tutorial.