Search Unity

procedural character generation

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FernandoRibeiro, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yay! This is probably the last one =D , I´m trying to provide as many choices as possible

2. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Have I said anything about "last one"?

3. goat

goat

I still prefer the original.

4. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Uv distortion of last one:

5. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

6. Whippets

Whippets

Thanks for all the choices, Fernando - I think I would vote for either the original or the one below, from personal preference (and liking things that look neat and tidy) :)

7. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

@Florian comment:
    "
    I'm totally into islands. Best way to have less distortion as possible + you can weight some of the elements. Like less priority for arms, legs but higher detail for hands.
    I think most of the content providers use tools like ZBrush, Mudbox, 3Dcoat for texturing anyway so islands wouldn't be as much of a problem than distortion.
    "

8. ecurtz

ecurtz

I slightly prefer the last one because it's so "clever", but most of the actual artists seem to be leaning toward the original...

9. Kemp-Sparky

Kemp-Sparky

Have you tried unwrapping the mesh in ZBrush after assigning the seams in blender? I usually find that ZBrush generates cleaner maps with less distortion than Blender.

10. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Never considered that :) I´ll give it a try!

11. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Btw, which one you´ve prefered?

12. vhusso

vhusso

Thanks for pointers! Actually I've been here when Unity 2.0 was just released. Great to be back working with Unity.

13. adamnorton

adamnorton

Hello,

This package looks amazing!

I was thinking of using this in very large open-world RPGs. I have a few questions.

Has anyone else used this?
    Has anyone used this large scale?
    Has anyone used this for player generation?
    Is it possible to have LOD. i.e everyone in 50 feet at complexity x, those farther away at less?

I am thinking large numbers here. Everyone in a village, farmers. humanoid mobs (orcs, elves, trolls, giants etc etc)
    An entire world of people. Not the whole world at one time mind you. but a zone at a time. But a great deal of the NPCs. randomly generated and stored at game start.

Is it possible to batch this? Generate several variations for each generic type, i.e farmer, guard, bandit etc.

Also is it possible to have fat people too. I mean it looks like you have plenty of variation in all other directions. But a fat innkeeper or generic noble seems like it would spice up the models.

Do you have any examples of things other than human, elf, orc, zombies etc. In fact would it be possible to add other kinds of models to this process? Non-Humanoid? Centaurs for starters.

Sorry, this looks really impressive and it is spawning a million ideas. :p

Thanks

14. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there! =D
    Take a look here:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neojac/neos-land-a-new-beginning

Don´t need to be sorry, in fact, that´s the kind of enthusiasm that makes me super happy =)
    I think documentation covers all other questions, but I´ll take a look to be sure if I´m missing something: http://www.huika.com.br/UMA/UMA_Manual_v4.pdf

15. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)

16. Ribosome

Ribosome

Please make the next release sooner,nice stuff:D

17. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

There´s a huge amount of improvements on this next update ;)

18. jzela

jzela

First, thank you for creating such a great system!

Second, I'm trying to get my head around how the slot system works in the case where you have short pants or something similar that's mesh-based. How would you achieve the visible portion of the leg below the pants, but above the feet? Would you need to actually add the leg portion to the pants mesh in Blender before exporting and defining the slot? Or is there a way to tell UMA that you want the pants over the existing leg slot right in Unity?

Thanks again!

19. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey! Thanks :)
    If I understood correctly, I think this would be better handled using an overlay (Textures) instead of a mesh.
    Overlays are perfect for any content that should be visible very close to the body, and work really well with strategic transparency for "lace" (Not sure if it´s the right word)
    Please take a look at documentation to better understand how it works: http://www.huika.com.br/UMA/UMA_Manual_v4.pdf
    Cheers

20. jzela

jzela

See the below attachment as an example of what I mean. Basically, given the style of pants it really needs to be geometry based vs. just a texture. Is that achievable? Thanks!

$sample.png

21. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Oh sorry! I understood panties :p
    Sure, this is very easy to archive :) Have you managed to watch the video tutorials at the website? I have a step by step for this kind of cloth.
    You can use both Pants and legs, there's no need to swap them. Take as example the female tshirt on demo scene.
    If you need more help, feel free to contact me here, or at the skype beta test channel.

22. virror

virror

Awesome tool, no doubt about it!
    You have any ETA when critical stuff will stop changing so this can start to being used without the fear of having to redo stuff? : p

23. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    I´m working on this on all my free time. I take this night I´ll have both male and female final meshes/rig/skin data integrated with all their proper example content.
    We are very close to 1.0.0.7 ;)

24. virror

virror

No stress!
    I know you are working hard and i think its an awesome product so far, i wont be ready to integrate this atm anyways.
    Just curious . D

25. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey! =)
    Fast update, I´m working to get the 1.0.0.7 uploaded this weekend, let´s see how it goes :)
    Plus: Extra modular ponytail hair ;)

26. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Ohh, btw, Lips overlay too

27. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Head shape is now also possible to adjust
    Sorry for the amount of updates in a row :(

28. goat

goat

Cool! Wish I didn't have so much to avoid but I'll eventually contribute something to the asset store. I'm still trying to move and now lawyers are involved :-(

29. virror

virror

Looks very nice!
    If i would like to hide the head, would that be possible to solve? I guess it would include making the head into a separate mesh?

30. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Head is a separated mesh ;)
    You choose adding it to the final baked mesh or not.

31. virror

virror

Yay, hurray for Fernando : D

32. jzela

jzela

Those changes looks great! Excited for the next update!

33. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Hello Fernando ! I am back to you after a little time to tell you that the DK UMA editor is progressing constently, it is now on v0.58, using the complete customizable system i have created for the UMA users.
    It allows them to avoid any coding, using the DK UMA Editor user interface to setup all the aspects of a generation process !!
    The creation of one model or of a crowd is now ready, with the post creation's morphology options to change the model's look.
    A total control over the races and gender is also finished, fully used by my new slot generation, supported by the autodetection tool, usable to sort any of the old an new slot elements and overlays.
    And so much more !!
    I hope to send it to you in a little time, few weeks, after the custom model's creation to be finished ( it will allow the user to setup anything before the generation of the model).
    Continue the hard work !!

See you soon
    Vyemm

34. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Wow! Great news from both sides =D
    I´ve sent you an PM. I´m really looking forward testing your amazing tool!

Cheers

35. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Hey Fernando :)
    I will be pleased to show it to you in the .7 version; you made a so good module that i can't purpose to you a middle way tool ;)

36. GameKitten

GameKitten

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for making this character system.

I put some videos of what can be done to get a product of the same level as the most popular games.
    There is a lot more games than this litle list, that have a good character system, and a lot are free to play this means you can download and test it, make some screenshots for reference.

A look at eve online's character creation system :

A page describing eve online's system a little more : http://www.wtfpwnbbq.com/Incursion/

It would be great to have some packs to buy as soon as possible !!

- Base characters (male / female)
    - Skin textures
    - Hair
    - Accessories
    - Clothes

This can have a big marketplace like daz studio, poser or second life.

For example they release new versions of characters Mickael, Victoria, genesis, and then community artists can create clothes, skin, hairs and accessories, for each specific character mesh version.

In unity, if a lot of people use uma, having the same base mesh in every game would look like the nintendo wii's mii system, kind of weird.
    Wouldnt bother me to share the same system if the character base mesh is really good.

But today if you look at different mmos, you can find the same hairstyles everywhere. Would be cool to at least get this in the asset store lol !

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  37. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there everyone!
    Tomorrow 10-5-2013, UMA will have it´s first birthday! So proud of how this baby is growing up =D

38. virror

virror

Wow, a year already, time just fly by. Looking at the old screens it surely has progressed far the past year : )
    Maybe we can expect some update to celebrate : p

39. AndyLL

AndyLL

renaud974,

Thanks for taking the time to find/post those links.

I had created my own customization screen for UMA but dumped it because it just wasn't quite right. When the next update comes out I'm gonna give it a go again and I'll go though your videos again for ideas of the best why to do it.

I agree with you that the Content Creation market for this could be huge. I know I'm not talented enough to do much more then simple overlays and will be in the market for more.

Since Unity is supporting/funding UMA I hope they are also looking forward to how to move it forward once its released.

At a minimum it needs its own categoy/subcategories in the Asset Store.

It would be nice if Unity sponsored some content creators like they did Fernando and get a large selection of overlays out on the Asset Store for the base races.

Fernando... it would be nice that if people create some common race meshes such as fairies and other fantasy characters ( hint hint ) and want to donate them to the community that there is a way to include them in the base UMA project so content creators can support them also.

40. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey! Hi there =)
    Apb and Eve online have the best character creation solutions I´ve ever seen, they have inspired me for the entire year of UMA development : ))) The Sims latest version looks to be improving their solution a lot.

As far I know, there will be an specific section at Asset Store for UMA content. I believe in little time we will have plenty of content to choose from.

41. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yep! =D I´ve found myself looking back at the old pages here and having a lot of fun and good memories =)

42. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yep! This is already on the plan, and the beta testers from Skype channel already started something concerning this ;)

43. virror

virror

Happy birthday! : D

44. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hahahah =D
    In the name of hundreds of UMA avatars, I say Thank you =D

45. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

just a sneak peek =)

46. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Just to show how flexible (and crazy) UMA can be =)

47. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Do you guys need some elven ears?

Or maybe you´re looking for elven pigs?

It´s all possible ;)

=D

48. mikezenox

mikezenox

That's great stuff. I'm very excited to implement this into my project..

49. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there! =)
    I've been working on a solution to project Second Life textures to UMA. I'm uploading an video tutorial, the process won't take more than a few minutes using the blender file I'm working on =D
    Left is SL, right is UMA

50. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.