Search Unity

procedural character generation

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FernandoRibeiro, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

There´s something really weird going on for you :(
    For most situations I would recommend implementing a way to load assets when needed, but what is happening with you is way worse.
    Are you on unity 4.2 and UMA 1.0.0.6b?
    You´re working on a clean project?

2. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there :)
    Default values would usually give ~30mb per avatar, without texture compression. It´s not UMA fault, this is the amount of memory required for 2 2048x1024 unique textures. I would recommend using a lower atlas resolution and overlay scale and share atlas between avatars, if viable on your project.

The huge amount of ram used is consequance of the project keeping all source textures loaded, that´s why most games require a way to load only necessary assets when creating the avatars.

Manually deleting those characters does not decrease the memory usage... -> I´ll take a look on that, I was aware of a memory leak on RenderTexture I solved some time ago, but will do further tests.

3. Aria-Lliane

Aria-Lliane

Glad to help =)

4. MrMassively

MrMassively

obrigado,

will definitely give this one a try for my project,
    thanks again.

5. samuelmorais

samuelmorais

Hi Fernando,
    Congratulations for your project.
    I have already imported it and would like us the Api wa ith my own model, which is a soccer player separated in 2 Main parts: 1 for the body (already dressed with soccer kit ) and other for the head. I want also to use hairs that I have modeled. My question is:do i have to separate the meshes for it to Work? And do you have a step by step guide on how to add a new model to unity and integrate it with UMA?
    Thank you in advance and keep it up!

6. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

De nada =D
    Hope it´s useful for you

7. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there samuraibh,
    I still don´t have much documentation about creating your own base meshes, as this requires a wide knowledge of rigging/skinning and modeling. I´ll be able to record videos about this subject in the following weeks, but I highly recommend adapting content you´ve created into UMA if viable, as this will make it possible to share content with the entire community.

8. lordfirefox

lordfirefox

Dropbox errors with 404 when trying to get it. Is it in the Asset Store yet?

9. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey, Hi there!
    Thy getting it at the "official" beta test website
    http://fernandoribeirogames.wix.com/umabeta#!download/c1fg2
    Let me know if you still have problems.
    I moved it from dropbox, as it got blocked after being download too many times :(

10. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Btw, welcome to the forum =D

11. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Fast update on what I´m working right now: I´m adjusting UMA rig/skinning so we can archieve more variations and better shape deformation.
    Heres a small example, still under work

12. Teila

Teila

Uh..yeah! Love the ability to better customize our characters but that example...hmmm. I am sure the men who play our games will enjoy it. :)

13. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, all!
    I'm new to UMA and I really apprecite for such a wonderful project.
    I have one request though.
    I would like to know if there can be a generic mesh that can cover both male and female, like the one from www.makehuman.org
    The reason is that often, cloths/accessories are shared among male and female and having a generic mesh will save us duplicated efforts.
    I think the advantage is clear if you want to promote artists to create assets for base mesh and having one instead of two will save lots of time.

If you think about it, it's the chest areas that are different the most.
    Perhaps, it's already possible to use female meshes (since has more polys on chest) and use it for both male and female.
    But I'm not sure if female mesh can be morphed to male mesh easily.
    Has anyone tried?

Thank you very much!

-chris

14. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Happy you like it! Looks like you´re going to approve the next update too :)

15. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there Chris! First of all, thanks for posting here!
    I´ve worked this way for months, but having one base mesh don´t really worked so well with the technique I use for reaching the body shapes. You can take a look on my first tests, back almost 10 months ago :)
    See ya

16. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yay! So new update:
    Now the gluteus: I´m doing my homework :) first I´ve adjusted the skinning, as old one was really bad.

And also implemented volume adjust for this area.

Hope you like it!

17. Venged

Venged

Very cool!!!

18. chrisk

chrisk

Hmm.. I understand the difficulties. But I'm curious what the problem was. (sorry I give up on reading on all past posts)
    Wouldn't it be possible to create male, and female base mesh from the "generic mesh"? Unity 4.3 will support morph, thus it probably not that hard to derive base mesh from the "generic mesh" and further modification be done on top of the each base meshes.

I guess I don't have a problem as long as I create cloths once for both male and female.
    Is this a far fetched idea?
    I wonder how DAZ 3D doing with "Genesis Figure" and Make Human's generic mesh.
    I don't mean to criticize but I really hope it's built right from the begining so that it can be widedly adopted.

Cheers!

-chris

19. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there chris!
    I understand your concern :)
    The big point we are missing discussing here, and is probably the most important, is that using morph to handle body shape variation won´t handle cloth shape variation to match, and this is essential. The most efficient way I´ve identified to keep the same volume on both body and cloth, being cloth any topology, is to be able to share the deformation on skinning data itself. This also make shape variation extremely flexible both for body and clothes.

20. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

21. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Hello Fernando ! Neo Land looks really nice :)
    I have decided to create a standalone version of my UMA integration to the Deadly Kit AI, with a lot of possibilities to create and manage tones of UMA aspect like presets, races and a "universal" generation process... Hard to explain but i will post here some screenshots for you to see what i mean ^^ You will be the first one to use it, i will send it to you fast as it can be completed.
    Please continue the hard work ( i love bumping cheecks ^^ ) :)

22. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yay! Really happy to hear that!
    = DDD

23. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Here is a screenshot of the tool during the preparation process.
    $vlcsnap-2013-09-09-19h07m25s212.png

24. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

This is a very simple video to show the early results with the adjusts I´ve made on rigging and skinning. There have been improvements both on facial animation and body shapes. This is a playback on Blender, but is being previewed on real time.

25. cynel

cynel

why is this so good?

26. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Probably because it is not already done and, most of all, it offers a real advance for all Unity NPC creators ^^.

27. cynel

cynel

now i i have no choice to wait to be integrated into ORK RPG framework when it finishes beta

28. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

I do not manage any ORK RPG aspect but i hope you will accept and enjoy my tool for the UMA generation and managing. Anyway, the result of a DK UMA creation would be usable by any other project...

29. cynel

cynel

i Meant For UMA to be integrated into ORK

30. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

@ Cynel : UMA is about models, it is so powerfull that any project can takes advantage of it.

31. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

anyway, preparing the UMA Tool is an heavy task, no time count, no pie, no f..hum. An heavy task ^^
    Do you want to play with it ?

32. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

As soon you have a build, I would love to! =D That´s for sure!

33. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yay! Hi there!
    This is the second skinning/rig test, now on male avatar.

34. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, Fernado!
    Pardon me on bringing it up once again.
    You are right! The traditional morph would not work as it body and cloth needs to have the same topology.
    Deformation would be the correct term. Just like you are using deformation on skin data, couldn't you use deformation to create male and female base meshes from the generic mesh?
    Everything will work the same then, no?
    Coming up with such deformation would be difficult but I believe the benefit would be tremendous, not only user will have to create cloths once, but body shape can be much more flexible.

Many thanks.

-chris

35. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey! Hi there
    I´ve done this for the first 5 months of the project, take a look at the old videos to see the results back them ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E400OVxBjT0 ). It simply gives way better results having two separated base meshes. You still can share all body overlays between male and female avatars bodies, and it´s possible to adapt content between male and female very easily after it´s ready for one of the two.

36. goat

goat

Looking better all the time.

37. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Thanks!
    Working hard on this :)

38. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    We are about to reach UMA base meshes final Rig and skinning, please give me feedback if you find anything is wrong =)

Already identified that Male head had mandible parented to the wrong bone, sorry! =P

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  39. hugobeyts

hugobeyts

Hi there, this is probably a really dumb question more related to animating avatars than creating them but I wondered how easy would it be to add a slider to make the characters walk on tip-toes. I'm thinking of high-heeled footwear.
    I've only made it through the first 20 pages of posts so far so I'm not sure if this has been answered, also this is my first week on unity :)

This is awesome by the way!

40. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yay! Hi there! Welcome to Unity =D

Those might be the best tutorials to learn what you´re looking for: http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/stealth
    Not sure they handle "walk on tip-toes", but there´s a huge amount of examples there.

Cheers!

41. vhusso

vhusso

Hi and thank you for something very useful and amazing!

Just started looking into UMA. This is going to save us so much time and $$$.

Is there any tutorial, script or scene available where runtime color changing or clothing changing is implemented as seen in web player demo? I can go through with by trial and error, but shortcut would be nice as it is done already.

Keep up the good work!

42. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Not yet! You can change the slotDataList at umaRecipe, and call the Dirty() to actually send it to update list. You can define what need´s to be updated, shape/mesh/atlas. (Take a look at documentation for further info)
    Sorry not having this properly exposed on the demo scene, I´ve been handling a ton of things for UMA at same time, so it´s been a challenge keeping track of the demo scene in parallel.

43. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Btw, welcome to the forum =D

44. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Based on ten24 sample scanned head.
    asymmetry is accomplished back using bone deformation.

45. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Now in real time:

46. virror

virror

Looks really nice!
    Seems the nose are changing a lot though?

47. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yep! Those expressions were just for testing skinning, they are not really any close to what could be final quality animation :)
    I hope to get those results in Unity in the following week.

48. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there, do you think UMA uv´s need any change? Let me know. Working on final base meshes this weekend ;)

Original

Many tests:

49. Whippets

Whippets

I think I prefer the original for ease of drawing straight on uvs - it's the least distorted - but I'm not a real artist...

50. goat

goat

I prefer the original too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.