Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

procedural character generation

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FernandoRibeiro, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Oh, got it!
    Sure, it would work quite well :) Skinning would be really easy =D
    You plan adding "block clothes" too?

2. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Nah - I plan using textures for those. Just to save some polys.

EDIT: I plan to swap textures out as needed based on the overall look of the character. If that makes sense.

3. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yep, this is being considered by developers at UMA Skype channel too.
    For this art style, swaping overlays might work quite well. Depending on the amount of detail you want, you might consider not even using normal maps at all.

cheers

4. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Now here goes a question that is some what related to what I am doing. Can Hit boxes be changed as the visible mesh changes?

For example -

I shrink the characters head and the hit box for the head shrinks.

Just curious.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  5. Admiral-Skye

Admiral-Skye

I am trying to create my own avatar. I already created a base mesh, imported every part separately, defined the slot, race, and overlay elements. But I'm getting a NullReferenceException error on line 31 of SkinnedMeshCombiner.cs. It's in the part where it compares the bone name to the string "Global" but that error should mean that the bone name is null. I checked all the skinned meshes and they all have bones attached to them, what else could be the problem?

6. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

For sure! They would need to be parented to the bones themselves, or updated based on bone changes, either way, it's possible.
    For the example scene, avatar prefabs have a single capsule collider for the UMACustomizer example, but you can add as many as you would like.

7. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Ohh, creating your own base mesh requires some extra steps I didn't fully documented yet. I might be able to cover it this week.
    Cheers

8. Admiral-Skye

Admiral-Skye

I wanted to test out the current mesh I made before creating more stuff. I guess I'll make more stuff so I have it ready for when your tutorial is updated.

9. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Keep in mind this week I'll have some changes on rig and skinning. I'm just waiting for next wave of beta testers before doing those changes. after that, we have the final base mesh and rig, and can start full production of content : )))

10. Admiral-Skye

Admiral-Skye

I have one more question, is it possible to use parts with children or scripts and components? Like for example I want to use a part that uses the skinned cloth component, or needs children for a script to work.

11. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

It´s not supported, but possible to be done. You would need to customize a lot of code to get it working as expected.
    Usually all slots are merged into a single mesh, so you would need to handle the process in a different way.

12. Admiral-Skye

Admiral-Skye

Yea that's what I thought, when I saw that the parts were the mesh rather than the game object I thought this would be the case. Any chance you can add that feature in the future? I know it would probably end up giving more draw calls if the mesh isn't merged, but it would be nice to have the option.

13. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I probably won't include this on final release, but maybe as a separated asset. :)

14. Ribosome

Ribosome

Come on, waiting for next released, hope there will be more example scenes(Like how to changes cloth individually in stead of just moving bones:D

15. Ribosome

Ribosome

Hi, there. I am trying to create my own prefab, and here is how I did it:
    First, I dragged the Female-Unified into my scene, and then I gave its child-object UMA_Human_Female the UMAData I copied from your prefab(using the copy component method)
    $RaceFemale.png
    and then assign the MyRenderer variable by dragging the UMA_Human_Female to it.

next, I assign this prefab to a raceElement
    $raceElement.png

When I run it, I did get a well-textured Model but , the animation is not working!
    $not.png

the female UMA I Instantiated is hovering above the grounded but not animated !
    would you tell why where I did wrong ?

PS: I checked Apply RootMotion on Animator , found that root motion and the right leg is still working, that's weird, is it ?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  16. Ribosome

Ribosome

Hi, One more question:
    How do I changed UMA clothes,

this is the function I tried,
    public void ChangeShirt()
    {
    if (umaData.umaRecipe.raceData.raceName == "HumanFemale")
    {
    shirtIndex++; //A variable I declared to keep trcack of which shirt to use
    if (shirtIndex > 1) shirtIndex = 0;

if (shirtIndex == 0)
    {
    umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList[4].overlayList[1] = new UMAData.overlayData(overlayLibrary, "FemaleTshirt01");
    //I got 4 from DefineSlots() method, and since the overlayList[0] produces the baseTexture, I change its second element overlayList[1],
    }
    else if (shirtIndex == 1)
    {
    umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList[4].overlayList[1] = new UMAData.overlayData(overlayLibrary, "FemaleTshirt02");
    // Is 4 and 1 the correct index here ?
    }

umaData.atlasResolutionScale = atlasResolutionScale;
    //umaData.isMeshDirty = true;
    umaData.isShapeDirty = true;
    umaData.isTextureDirty = true;

umaData.Dirty();
    }
    }

the problem is, it changes something on UMA( I guess it's the underwear)
    but sure enough, I misinterpreted something, little help, please

17. goat

goat

Hey Fernanado,

I saw you video on Fabulous Designer and was thinking maybe to buy it after I work through all you tutorials and to properly modify the UMA Avatars.

I see now there are 'Basic' and an 'Advanced'. It looks like for the purposes of the UMA Kit that we'd only need the features of 'Basic'. Would you recommend 'Basic' or 'Advanced'? As far as creating clothes Advanced seems to offer 'pressure, inflating' which I guess is useful to alter the painted on look but otherwise all the extra features in Advanced seems related to interoperability (point cloud) or in program display.

18. UnLogick

UnLogick

Actually the reference to "Global" was a quick and dirty hack to solve a problem. I needed to know how deep to copy the bone tree. All Fernando's models had a root named "Global" so I hard coded that. This essentially means that right now you need a top node called Global in your base mesh. This is currently undocumented, but if you rename your top node everything should work(tm).

19. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    First you need to be sure what slots and overlays you´re exchanging. Keep an eye on UMACrowd code to see what goes on each slot. For exchanging clothes and overlays, I highly recommend changing female list to an array, this way you can define your own standards of what each slot should keep.

20. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Having it hovering above the ground was intentional?
    While we don´t have advanced tutorials explaining how to create a base mesh / prefab from scratch, I would recommend duplicating the existing female prefab and including any extra changes to the duplicated one, this way you keep all the original setup.

21. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

It would be a good idea trying the trial to be sure what you´re going to need. Usually animation features would have no use when creating cloth content for games. 'pressure and inflating' -> inflating is specially good for creating pillows and this kind of thing.

22. Admiral-Skye

Admiral-Skye

I added a Global joint on my file and it fixed this problem, then I got another problem with a line that does something with the mesh's uv2 but I fixed it quickly but turning on generate lightmap uv on the import settings. But I got yet another problem with the bones in 2 different lines. Line 522 and 799 of UMAData.cs. From what I see, it makes a boneList with the temp Bone Data list. Do I have to include every single bone in that list? The UMA version seemed to have every bone in there, but I left it empty since it said temp and I assumed it would generate a list in script.

23. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Do I have to include every single bone in that list? -> Not really, I´ve provided the script "UMAProcessBones" to handle that. Just drag it to your prefab, set the UMAData and BoneStructure should be "Global". Then click "Run Script" checkbox.

I´m missing something though. You´ve told you´re using your own base mesh, but from the images you´ve posted, it´s still UMA female basemesh, right?

24. Admiral-Skye

Admiral-Skye

I haven't posted any images, that's someone else.

I tried using that script, but it says 0 bones have been added. If the bone structure is a prefab it adds no bones, if it's in the scene, it add the bones, but they get deleted when saving the prefab. Is there anything I might be doing wrong?

EDIT: I fixed it now, after looking the the UMA race prefab, I realized I was supposed to use the bones in the race prefab instead of the imported mesh. Here's an image. The skin is gray because that's the color of the texture, I can fix it by assigning the color. Thanks a lot for the help.

$test.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  25. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Sorry! Mixed yours and @Ribosome posts! =D
    Happy it´s working! : ))

26. goat

goat

Thanks, I have very simple ideal first and I'll make clothes in Blender as add-ons to your base meshes. I'm excited because watching your videos the base meshes are more flexible than I thought just watching the sliders. Maybe I'll try the Fabulous Designer trial later.

27. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I'm excited because watching your videos the base meshes are more flexible than I thought -> It´s possible to have a huge amount of sliders, you can include as many changes as you want to, and the amazing part, content will keep following those changes : )))

28. Ribosome

Ribosome

Thanks, but I am wondering when are you gonna make advanced tutorioals explaining how to create base mesh/prefab from scratch?

29. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Probably on the following week. As most developers will work with UMA base meshes to be able to share content, I need to give priority providing all information about "basic" features. Keep in mind I´m also working on code, so there are still some changes being made :)

30. goat

goat

Yes, I thought to get a 'toon' look I would have to create new meshes but it looks like choosing the right sliders will do the job and then I just have to make appropriate clothes. :)

31. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Hello Fernando, your tool is amazing and i am actually adding it to my NPC generator ! I would like to know how is it possible to generate the character in editor mode without launching the RunTime mode ?

32. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there Vyemm!
    I can´t guarantee yet. We are launching a "call for beta testers" in the following days, so based on public feedback I´ll see what to do next.

33. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

All 3dMax users (probably C4D and Maya also)

I´ll include on manual the steps to integrate content created on those software and UMA.
    Because of differences on coordinate system, we need to include some small adjusts on export process. With time I´ll also provide extra video tutorials ;)
    See ya!

34. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Hi Fernando, I have implemented your UMA to my DK AI (my tool), it is really easy to do for a runtime generation, all the available parameters that you gave us in the beta 6 are in place, using an editor window, with save and load. You made it powerfull and easy to use, great work, one of the best about the assets for unity !
    I am very busy at the moment to finish my tool (planed to release in late september), so i can't garanty you to participe activly to the Beta you spoke about, but i will probably write some comments on this current thread. Carry on !

35. goat

goat

This is good to hear it is working so well as those are my plans as well.

36. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there :)
    I´m super happy with the news @Vyemm-Boopi and @goat !
    I´ve updated the manual with extra information on importing and exporting content, this is specially useful for 3ds max users.
    With time, I´ll test the integration on Maya, xsi and C4D, to be sure there are settings available for most used 3d software out there.
    Manual -> http://www.huika.com.br/UMA/UMA_Manual_v4.pdf

37. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Hello Goat ;)
    It takes me around 4 hours to figure out how the generation and customization works and to create a tab in my tool to link with the UMA possibilities. If i can make it, anyone could do the same ;) About the editor mode (no runtime), i am stuck just after the creation of the model, no random setting applied and no texture generated, the character has a bieutifull pink head and a white body, i will dig in it in fiew days.

38. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

$vlcsnap-2013-08-22-20h30m31s209.png

It is a snapshot of what can be made in a little time.

39. goat

goat

Very nice, she looks like one of my cousins! I am in the process of beginning to move this weekend :-( ; but I will post my progress here next weekend (end of August / beginning of September).

40. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Wow! =O Really nice!
    You´re planning on selling this on asset store?
    Btw, do you have a thread of the development of your DK AI?
    Congrats!!!

41. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hehehe I know what you mean! I´ve moved ~two months ago, most of my stuff is still inside boxes :p

42. cynel

cynel

this must be intergrated into UMA

43. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Thanks Fernando :) it is a huge stuff for me, actually i am coding it, without any forum or more, but you already are in it ;) I would like to offer it freely, but i need money, so it will be a purchase, for some months. And so go on ;)

44. cynel

cynel

great i have no choice to pay then

45. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I would like to offer it freely, but i need money, so it will be a purchase, for some months -> It´s more than fair :) I can see a lot of people using this tool.

46. cynel

cynel

there must be a editor in UMA but some see this as a expatiation pack

47. Vyemm-Boopi

Vyemm-Boopi

Hi Cynel, actually, i simply can't understand why Fernando is offering us that wonderfull tool ! But i can tell you why my tool is a purchase, just figure that the models are just a part of it. To calm all those kind of things, i will do my best to share my beloving of the thread project on any of my projects.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  48. temo_koki

temo_koki

Just for fun, myself in cartoonish style :)
    It's a great system

$TK uma1.jpg

$TK uma2.jpg

49. Ribosome

Ribosome

50. cynel

cynel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.