Search Unity

procedural character generation

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FernandoRibeiro, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goat

goat

When released are you including the .blend file so we can rig our own meshes with your rig?

Is the rig finalized? You mind attaching it here so those that want to create original meshes can, even if they are not involved in the beta tests?

2. goat

goat

I thought UMA was Unity Mechanim Avatar

3. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey :)

Rig/skin is still open to changes based on beta feedback, so it wouldn´t be a good strategy sharing the file until it´s ok.
    Working like crazy to get the beta as fast as I can.

4. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Unity Mechanim Avatar? Could you elaborate on that please?

5. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

That's my home pc specs. My work pc has a 9500gt from nvidia. Quite old and slow. It more then likely runs fine on my home pc (which are what my signature specs are) Sorry for the confusion.

6. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Unity Multipurpose Avatar (says it on the first post... at least as one of the video titles)

7. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Ohhhh! Geez, never noticed UMA could also mean Unity Mechanim Avatar =) Sorry for the confusion =D

Thanks @Caliber

8. goat

goat

But the release will include the .blend file?

9. goat

goat

Thanks I almost was going to go back and start reading the thread from the start to find out. Should have seeing as it was mentioned in the first post.

10. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Sure :)

I´ll also make sure users from 3dmax, xsi and maya have access to the content.

11. goat

goat

Thanks. I'll practice more on meshing in the meantime.

12. primus88

primus88

I'm here just to say that this looks like a very promising project.
    I can see this only get better and better with the feedback from the community.

13. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Ok guys, time for some big news =)

I´ve just finished rewritting the atlas solution + overlay calculation and would like to share a bit of how it works with you. With this, we are very close to beta :)

As you can see on below image, we have two female avatars and their diffuse atlas. All color from skin/clothes is calculated, the same applies for normal maps, specular data and any extra textures (I still need to handle adjust per overlay).

One nice strategy that I´ve been playing with for saving texture area is using the overlay technique even on extra 3d meshes. You can identify on second female that her jeans is being overlayed, while the shirt isn´t. This is specially powerful to reduce memory usage and even to get a better transition between the content and base mesh. I´ve kept the shirt as a separated atlas section to bring a better contrast on the two possibilities.
    You can also notice the same applies for hair on both of them :)

I´m using Jukka Jylänki's algorithm http://clb.demon.fi/projects/more-rectangle-bin-packing for Texture atlasing, ported to c# by forum member @mudloop http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/130376-MaxRectsBinPack-C-port-useful-for-creating-Texture-Atlases.

Hope you guys like the update :)

14. Tesla-Coil

Tesla-Coil

Great news! We are so eager to work with this and really respect for the hard work you all doing to make UMA a fact! With some luck everyone can try it out in Project Ion very soon. :rolleyes:

15. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Ohh, won´t take long!
    Btw, Had a lot of fun watching your video testing UMA, it looked like a extreme makeover show =D Hehehe
    Cheers

16. lmgginspace

lmgginspace

This reminds me a lot about how textures are generated and managed in the Sims 3. This means your work has commercial-like quality, which is really really good.
    I'm repeating again, but so eager to test!!!

17. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

This thread is motivation for my game. I plan to be ready when this is release for ultimate madness.

18. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I didn´t played the sims for so long (maybe more than 10 years) that I didn´t took into account they have that impressive solution for avatar customization :) Great reference!

19. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

= )))

20. JamesPro

JamesPro

Each Generation of the Sims increases it's Character Customization options with the Sims 3 being the most complete to date. Hopefully the Sims 4 will continue to improve on customization!

21. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yep! The memories I had from the sims avatar customizations were from the first version, I was a bit outdated Lol

22. JamesPro

JamesPro

I bought all the expansion packs for the Sims, The Sims 2, and the Sims 3 up to Seasons. Plus I had multiple subscriptions to the Sims Online. I've been a Huge fan for a while now. When the started selling the Stuff packs I couldn't justify spending money on just a few items. Personally I think they are a rip off but hey people must buy them since they continue making them.

23. lmgginspace

lmgginspace

I'm a big fan of the sims for a long time, the only thing i do not like is the game performance. I'd bet it's nowadays the only game that runs slowly on the best affordable computer (and I have Geforce GTX 660 and intel core i7). But even so, i still play...

I was even thinking for sometime about making a Sims-like game by myself with Unity and UMA, which should be possible; and make the game free, open-source, and easily customizable. But such a huge project should be very difficult. I do not know by now where should I be searching for help, support, hosting, and the usual stuff :-?, but i'd like a lot to team with some people and make it, i have a lot of ideas i'd like to do...

24. Whippets

Whippets

Thread derail XD

25. Whippets

Whippets

Back to the task in hand...

How many points/zones of deformation are there in the current UMA, and can new points/zones be added easily, or is that a complex task?

26. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

27. Whippets

Whippets

They're pretty good for customisation, and very high poly models. I wonder if the level of detail used is purely for cinematics and portraits, with lower levels for in-game? Certainly the poly count might be a bit high for an MMORPG style game, where you might have a dozen or more people come into view at once, and need large datablocks from the server, not only for facial data, but for body data, clothing/armour, weaponry, etc, as well as having a much more detailed terrain.

The limitations for poly and datablocks are noticeable even in games like GuildWars2 World v World, where a large number of players pushes things as far as they can go, and still server lag and graphics lag cause issues.

28. lmgginspace

lmgginspace

In other words, could we oversize only one of the boobs? :D

29. Whippets

Whippets

I've been doing boring, serious stuff all day. Thank you for the reprise XD XD Made my day.

30. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

31. dtg108

dtg108

No words for the greatness of that post.

32. Whippets

Whippets

No words needed, the greatness speaks for itself :)

@dtg108 Damn, I love your logo, that is greatness too, easily logo of the year.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  33. TestBuilt

TestBuilt

Had a feeling today would bring good news. Standing by with cold brewskis... :cool:

34. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

Why are you thinking about MMOs alone? There are many other genre's out there. I did not even consider this for MMOs most Korean MMO's look better than the games in those videos too. I certainly hope the quality gets as high as those videos. Also i hope those allegorithmic textures could come in handy

35. JamesPro

JamesPro

Well SinisterMephisto, there are atleast 2 MMOs that I know of that will be in the Beta alone. and I'm sure others will follow suit once UMA is officially released. Our Community is thrilled with what they have seen of UMA so far. We released the latest demo on our site for our Community to play around with it and they have made some cool creations with it. - http://www.greedmonger.com/forum/sh...ands-So-in-the-mean-time%85&p=25695#post25695

36. Apshai-Arts

Apshai-Arts

Beta, that is awesome :) Can't wait!

37. Whippets

Whippets

Didn't mean to imply that it's for MMOs alone. My bad :) Just my standpoint, from what I'm writing. I hope everyone else will jump in with pros/cons/info from other genres too.

Personally, I can't wait to see what new base models and attachments people come up with. I'm sure it'll be a winner in the asset store XD

38. cynel

cynel

maybie there could be seprate body shapes like photorealism or Stylization

39. lmgginspace

lmgginspace

As long as it isn't sarcasm, you're welcome.

40. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there Guys! I didn't forgot the beta :)
    Recording some videos to explain how UMA works.
    As soon it's done, I'll publish them on youtube and post the link for the Pack : )))

41. ecurtz

ecurtz

Aren't you doing those in the wrong order? Since when did not knowing how something works stop any of us? ;)

$tumblr_lrf7uwXSox1qk2t5co1_r1_500.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  42. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

That was a good one = ))) Btw, I neek to get back watching Game of Thrones =D
    I'll cover the basics and post the files. I'll keep posting more videos covering complex stuff in the following days.

43. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Rendering the video and uploading!
    It would be great if render was 60fps : PP

44. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

Been refreshing your page every 10 minutes :p

45. JamesPro

JamesPro

So is this going right to a Public Beta instead of having the private Beta or will it still only be available to those selected for the beta?

46. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hehehe Yep ;)
    95% on first video.

47. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Public beta =)
    I´ll provide the project link soon. This will be a long night for me :)

48. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey =)
    Is Avok23 from youtube here in the forum? That guy deserves an prize =)) He managed to post like 10 seconds after the upload, really amazing :)

49. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Uploading the pack file and rendering second video.
    I´ll post download link here until I center all beta content on webpage.

50. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

LOL. I told you i was refreshing the page every 10 minutes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.