Search Unity

procedural character generation

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by FernandoRibeiro, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breyer

Breyer

i made two screenshots: with correct situation and with disappear model

correct:

$femalecorrect.PNG

i didn't change position with female model so she is visible, but when i run some times with male model then change to female and, finally, back to male i see only this...

$disappmale.PNG

red circle show where should be male model (approximately) i dont know its bug with UMA or its only bug with GUI so i reported it....

2. UnLogick

UnLogick

I guess the real problem is that you some how managed to move your character in the first place. I guess I forgot to disable some script somewhere. That was unintended, and there is some code that apparently incorrectly reads the transform when rebaking the model. Stay in place and this problem shouldn't occur!

Edit: Yeah it seems Fernando's old run script was still in place directly on the prefab. I disabled the script so this shouldn't happen anymore. I'm pretty sure that line where it looks at the character's position should just be taking Vector3.zero and Quaternion.identity instead. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  3. Breyer

Breyer

i knew but i like testing ALL situation and action :p

4. goat

goat

Cool, this will be a nice tool for all of us.

Facially the females look fine but as far as the ugliness of the rest of the models goes what you are noticing is that oily bodybuilder 0% fat and fake suntan painted on look but I think that is mostly textures. Replace the textures and you'll have pretty characters.

Also I saw no age sliders.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  5. Whippets

Whippets

$Image24.jpg

Nice polish, Unlogick :)
    Specular level on cloth and hair is way too high, but overall it's a big improvement. We could still use the eye size/angle/colour. The white part of the eye is too bright. It's brownish in darker skinned people, and blueish in pale/white skinned people.

How's "Elf" coming along?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  6. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

Her neck looks perfect. something looks really wrong with her face lol.. Missing Ambient Occlusion?

7. Whippets

Whippets

It's from the webplayer, so I've no idea what global graphics options like AO, AA, Aniso, etc are being used (I'm no artist, nor really on top of some of these terms). Certainly from what I can tell, the shaders are being pushed to the limits to get the diffuse, normal, specular, and all of the single bit masks into a single drawcall.

Looking forward to the next demo from UnLogick, see how things are progressing :)

8. janpec

janpec

Yeh indeed way too much specularity on cloths. Shader from Chickenlord (silk shader) would do awesome job there though.

9. CVgames

CVgames

brilliant mate

10. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

11. UnLogick

UnLogick

Well I'm no artist I took the materials from Fernando, and then I changed the shaders! So its merely lack of calibration. Next version of the shaders will support scaling specular up and down on a per overlay level. That means you can adjust the specular of the hair only!

Well I started out with the shadowgun mobile skin shader, and then I added realistic lighting. (The mobile shader was optimized to only work with baked lightmaps only) and then I shuffled the channels around and added specular and gloss. I'll be doing some more work on the shader. About shader complexity, I decided to push the limits as far as I can within reason. It should still be cheaper than parallax and other really expensive shaders, but more expensive than regular bump mapped.

Today the shader uses its two free channels in the normal map to do specular and gloss. But I'll make a new one that does:
    * half precision specular, +1 bit toggling organic vs metallic specular color.
    * 8 intensities of sub surface scattering, 8 shades of gloss vs specular intensity.
    Or something along those lines. To use this new overkill shader you'll need to use 32 bit textures!

The advantages is that you get SSS on skin. You get metallic specular vs organic specular. That means you'll be able to do piercings, robotic arms and armor in the same draw call as skin.

More power to tweak the eyes, I hear you loud and clear. About the white part of the eye I never noticed that, but its simply making the eye into two overlays, one for the iris and one for the white area, then you can blend in colors on those seperately. And write code logic to set a proper white color.

The elf is added as a teaser. As you may know I have a hobby mmo project on the side and I need an elf for that. The UMA framework itself will only contain sample humans. If you want elves, dragons and other races you'll have to make those yourself. Though I suppose the classic elf mesh would be taking the human and changing a few areas around the ears. And finally set the slider ranges that will enforce an elvish look.

The data values are sorted into classes called DNA, and the human uses a HumanoidDNA. A character can have multiple dna classes, so its possible to define a WingedDNA and use that together with HumanoidDNA to create winged humanoids like mythical pixies and angels.

The ui in the webplayer is made using a free 3rd party UI component called SkillUI. I grabbed the new version directly from his website and still had to do a lot of hacking to make it run on 4.x. I even had to add a few controls of my own to give me the controls I wanted. But I like that it gives object controls that render like regular Unity UI. Allowing me to create all the different input controls as one liners.

12. Whippets

Whippets

Thanks for the detailed insight into how the UMA works, and what areas are progressing...

I'm particularly interested in the DNA classes and structure, as I intend to create pretty much everything via scripting. I'm still at a loss as to understand how the meshed clothing is incorporated, particularly for materials. Can we have separate materials governing meshed clothing (ie texture and shader combo), or are they fully integrated into the UMA and therefore can only use the UMA material system?

Keep up the great work XD

Heh, I like the Elf teaser - and rock on with your MMO. Act deaf when people say one person can not make an MMO alone - yes they can. I'm doing it too :)

13. UnLogick

UnLogick

We bake them into atlasses based on shaders. If your slots/overlays use multiple shaders each of those will become a draw call on their own. All UMAData (avatars) have a reference to a UMAGenerator that handles any updates changes to it. This includes queuing changes for processing over time. You can specify a number of meshes its allowed to bake per frame. So in case of a teleport stuff will become available over time rather than everything freezing up as it tries to build 50 characters at once.

The UMAGenerator also holds the reference to the atlas baking shaders/scripts. So in case you make your own shader for emissive runes on player characters that requires 3 textures per material you can still use the default UMA shader on npcs using a different UMAGenerator for those.

14. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

Wait did unity buy the rights to UMA?

15. JamesPro

JamesPro

No they are working with Fernando to help get it released.

16. Whippets

Whippets

Hmm, that's quite a lot to take in all at once,

How are the meshed clothes applied to the model, so that they animate/deform with the model, yet can still have separate materials? Swords, hair, and other attachments move with the node they're attached to, but are separate models; clothing/armour is different, as it needs to animate/deform, so I would imagine, is applied to the model in a different manner.

I did look at Daz3D a few years back, and it's avatar clothing was jointed and applied to the avatar skeleton. It was reasonable for animations, and on scaling, but on deforming the avatar model, suffered with poke-through to a horrible extent. We've seen already that the UMA system doesn't suffer in the same way, and scales, animates, and deforms it's clothing perfectly.

17. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

18. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Yes, textures were made for a different shader, and as I´ve been working on code for the last weeks, I didn´t managed to get time to adjust those to @UnLogick shader.

As @UnLogick already announced, it will be possible to have control over many adjusts, for each cloth element/overlay, this applies to specular.

Age sliders are definitely already viable :) It´s up to you guys to take UMA potential and mix with your creativity to reach amazing results! =D

19. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

That´s exactly the kind of thing that help us a LOT =D Thank you : )))

20. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yay =)
    Eye adjusts are already possible. I just didn´t exposed the variables the way all other are already there.
    Right not we have ~37 sliders for adjusting body/head shape.
    There can be hundred of those, it´s up to your needs and creativity.

21. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Yep, As I´ve been working on code for the last weeks, I didn´t had the chance to get involved on webplayer lighting adjusts. With some small adjusts we can reach a better perception of volume and composition.

But my focus right now is getting UMA code ready for beta, so you guys can finally have fun with it =) The same applies to texture and other content. After code is ready, and I start beta first wave, i´ll be able to get back to content and give it some deserved attention.

22. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

In fact, they do have the rights for UMA.
    UMA wouldn´t be possible without Unity, and as this is an open project, I´m more than happy with the way this is happening. =)

23. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey!

Even hair is integrated with UMA, so it´s possible to have a considerable amount of shape adjust for hair too.
    Swords and other attachments can be handled using UMA or included following the traditional ways. It´s a matter of deciding what is better for your project. On documentation I´ll be able to compare the options and give some insights of the benefits.

Right now, as the Female cloth is not fully adjusted, I´m quite sure you can notice some poke-through in some small areas :) This won´t happen on final faceplates I´ll deliver for you guys.
    For final version, I´ll provide standards for cloth combination. Following those standards, content providers will be able to deliver content that can be combined and work together.

24. JamesPro

JamesPro

Do you guys have any agreement or anything in place so Unity could never turn around and force us to pay for UMA? I don't think they would do that and UMA so far seems like it would be well worth a couple hundred or more dollars if you guys did decide to sell it but I was just wondering.

25. ecurtz

ecurtz

Not to distract Fernando and UnLogick who are busy doing great work, but I wonder who else has ideas for UMA/Mecanim add-ons that could be either asset store packages or community projects. I know I have a bunch of stuff I'd love to see...

Better clothing simulation. The current state of the built-in stuff is a complete mess, and Shroud is still incomplete (although they claim to have an update coming soon.)

Wrinkle synthesis for clothing and faces

Generic facial rigging and animation (I've been working on this some and might try to offer something.)

More advanced skinning techniques and dynamic animation.

26. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

27. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Cant wait to play with this!!

28. Tesla-Coil

Tesla-Coil

Quote on youtube from MindChamber :

When someone pops their collar like that, you immediately listen...

29. SinisterMephisto

SinisterMephisto

I tried to like your post

30. Breyer

Breyer

i suggest update first post because this webplayer very easy be lost after some times (spam, lovely spam xD)

31. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Great idea, thanks =)

32. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Ha, are these young men with women size tits?

Impressive. Good to know this is what 4.2 is waiting on.

33. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there SubZeroGaming,
    Sorry, didn't understood your post.

34. ChadH

ChadH

LOL
    Great idea and concept, but the webplayer link does not work :(
    All Browsers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  35. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

nope. Still works for me. Still looks fantastic !

Trust me ChadH! It's awesome :D

36. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    I think it should work for you now.
    Thanks for the reply :)

37. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey!
    Super happy with your feedback :)

38. Whippets

Whippets

Can the base human model be changed, and the system still work? Not that I've got anything against the model; more I'm wondering about designers for asset-store content for the UMA.

Also, are we still ok with Mixamo off-the-shelf animations with the UMA?

39. UnLogick

UnLogick

Yes you can make your own models, the requirement is mostly in how you rig the model to get the deformation benefits. As such it only work for UMA rigged models.

Yes!

40. Whippets

Whippets

Nice one UnLogick, two simple yeses (spell checker says that's not a real word) is brilliant. Here's another tricky question :)
    How are we managing facial animations? I'm guessing that there are no facial bones, so animations may be tricky. Also, as a second part to the question; what about mouth shapes for lip-syncing to spoken audio?

Sorry if I'm asking all the difficult questions :)

41. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

It´s also important to keep in mind that if you conserve the volume of the base mesh, even changing the topology completely, you can keep using UMA clothes.

42. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Your questions are more than welcome!

About facial bones, in fact, it´s the oposite :)
    Face have enough bones to have very complex facial animations, we can have animation even on tongue.
    Facial animations based on morph would probably require you keeping the head a separated mesh, to reduce performance cost, and won´t be available out of the box.

43. ecurtz

ecurtz

Will the facial bones be present in the beta version so we can check out the rig?

44. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Sure!

I´ll also provide the original files.
    Right now most of the base content has been done with Blender. As Blender is open source, it combines really well with UMA, but the same can be done on Xsi, Maya and 3dMax.

45. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Worked for me, Extremely slow on my work system (not very powerful though, so it's expected) Looked good from what I could actually do. Can't wait to get it in game when it comes out.

46. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    Even this one is slow for you? http://glscene.com/unity/CharacterCustomization/UMAWebPlayer.html

Based on the data you provided, it shouldn´t be...
    Dev PC:
    4.2GHz AMD Quad Core
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz
    3 1TB 6Gb/s 7200RPM WD Black HDD
    nVidia 660ti 2GB

47. Whippets

Whippets

Oh boy, that's pretty much everything I can think of covered, and answered with yeses XD

I'd be really interested in seeing some facial animations, and lipsyncing mouth shapes

48. JamesPro

JamesPro

Yeah I have a little under those stats and it runs fine for me. I've got a 3 GHz Quad Core with 8 gigs of Ram, a 1 gig Dedicated Graphics Card 2 TB hard drive and a very crappy internet connection.

49. ChadH

ChadH

It works now :D

BTW
    I meant no disrespect by my earlier comment
    I was just frustrated that when I wanted to see the demo it was offline

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but when can we expect a release date?

Thanks for all your hard work

50. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hey :)

Didn´t considered disrespect at all, again thanks for pointing me out it was not working.
    I´m planning on starting a first wave of closed beta this week. The closed beta was planned for 3 weeks ago, but I´ve rewritten most of the code since then, this will make any future changes much more easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.