Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Procedural animation Unity version?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by mafiaguy07, Jan 11, 2021.

1. mafiaguy07

mafiaguy07

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post, total newbie here, so I apologize if posted on the wrong section or something.
    I have almost zero knowledge of Unity and I'm just starting to learn it.
    I have a very old computer, like a 2006 release, so I wasn't sure if it can run the latest version of Unity, so I installed an older version, specifically 2.6.1.
    Thinking to myself, 3D games were made way before my computer was released so it's quite possible to develop maybe a retro-style game on my computer, only for learning purposes. Maybe in the future, I could buy a much modern unit.
    Problem is, I'm quite interested in the procedural animation function I see on some Unity tutorials I see recently. So my question is if procedural animation is recent feature Unity just added or if it's in the version I have?

deus0 likes this.
  2. deus0

deus0

Hey, I just wanted to ask what is 'procedural animation function' referring to? I believe in the older unity times, you could set the transform positions in the script that you have attached to a game object. That in a sense is 'procedural animation'! But I'm sure that doesn't answer your question!
    If you wanted to generate meshes/models from the code, you could do that at least in version 4/5 when i started using unity. I'm not sure precisely, but you should refer to the API documentation for what you can do with the code.
    If you wish to make a 3D retro game, I recommend doing some Blender Tutorials on basic modeling and importing into unity. You could also check out the asset store for some retroy models or post processing effects, to give it a more retro vibe.

unityunity