Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Probuilder Subdivide and Smooth?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by backwheelbates, Apr 30, 2020.

1. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

Hi,
    Just wanted to ask if it was possible to Subdivide and Smooth a mesh using Probuilder. When I mention "Smooth", I don't just mean surface normals, Id like to smooth the mesh shape as I subdivide it. A lot of other modeling packages have this function (maya, blender, etc), but I didn't see it in Probuilder. For example with this idea, smoothing/subdividing a cube would result in a sphere, where the more subdivisions, the more spherical it would become.

Thanks for any advice!!

2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

ProBuilder doesn't have a smoothing subdivision action yet. It is definitely something I'd like to see implemented as well.

3. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

Hi @kaarrrllll , Thanks for the reply! Is there any place I can make this request more official (github page or feature request page)? Or at least to hear back from the Probuilder team on this?

Thanks again!!

Eric

4. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Mauri likes this.
  5. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

6. krisventure

krisventure

Yes this would be appreciated. I thought bevelling edges was for smoothing but I guess it doesn't work for that. The biggest issue with Probuilder at the moment is that we don't have enough features working yet and many of the working features leave Unity hanging until you have to force quit (eg. bevelling at a higher bevel value, undoing simple actions like subdivide etc). I'm experiencing those issues even with very low poly objects (this one was a simple hemi-sphere with about 60 verts and I had to force quit twice already, after about 5 minutes hanging. One of them happened just for a simple bevel where the bevel on about 50 edges value was 0.6 (it was ok at 0.2) and the other one when I hit Undo three times because it wasn't responding so I thought it didn't detect my Undo. Again, the result was Unity hanging until I force quit.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  7. kyleyoungblom

kyleyoungblom

Wanted to throw my vote in for this feature as well; I've been wishing for it for years. In my case I think it'd completely replace the need to ever use Unity Terrain.

8. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

Hi there, is there a feature that un-subdivides and object, other than the obvious undo, it is an object I created a while back, so the undo is a no go, I would like to go back just a step, or am I doomed to start again? lol

Thank you for your time.

9. shikhrr

shikhrr

It is best to have functionality in Blender like modifiers where changes are non-destructuive.

Paul_Hughes likes this.
  10. Paul_Hughes

Paul_Hughes

I'm still trying to get better at Blender, I can do most basic stuff, still have a lot to learn on the materials/textures and painting side of things, unwrapping and then to give the object the colours where I want. I made a character, used base colors and tried to rig it, but ended up just using Mixamo instead, as my animations were terrible lol. I also like the concept of making objects breakable in Blender, so hitting them in Unity or Unreal gives a more realistic look of breaking apart or an explosion etc.
    I still have to create things using sculpting mode as well. 5+ years of Blender, but I only use it now and again, same goes for GIMP, Inkscape, Krita, Audacity etc all the tools needed for game development. I moved away from 2D a few years ago, so things like the new tile maps I only ever used once but was a great inclusion to Unity around 2017/18, as were a lot of new 2D stuff.

I just think somewhere around 2019.3 things started to go a bit wrong and releasing the new UI Input systems etc and add-ons, they just never sync'd properly with developer use. I always just stayed on the normal 3D pipeline, but then started to miss shader graph and vfx graph etc and sat trying to code it in Cg and Shaderlab instead, which can be frustrating at times. It would be nice to have one 3D template that just works with everything, and I get the HD pipeline is for high end graphics games and most likely trying to catch up with UE5 now, but to me Unity was never really about high-end graphics, just ease of use, cross platform, VR/AR and good 2D/3D mobile integration that just works. Sadly, though the mobile VR like google daydream (yes, I lost a year with that too once google shut down the server! grrr...) and the Oculus powered Samsung GearVR and Oculus Go, seemed to disappear as mobile specs got better? It was a good alternative to Oculus Rift/Quest/HTC Vive/PSVR that people could afford and an entry into the VR world, so I think the mobile VR was lost far too soon before people could afford a half decent phone for VR.
    I think WebXR will most likely make an impact eventually and am thinking Google was betting on that after their Lenovo Mirage failed (which no one knew about, bad marketing on the mobile VR front from Google tbh)

I am now at a cross-roads with Unity and using UE for future games, as Unity I waited almost 2 years to use the remote 5 with the new Input system with my latest game, that should have been finished well over a year ago and am still trying to finish it now, so I feel let down still and more people coming forward time and time again saying this doesn't work or that doesn't work, so it knocks my confidence moving forward starting new unity projects, I can NOT lose 2 years again, no way! I may go back to doing a simple short 2D game but nothing major, I think UE has the larger 3D game covered, albeit if the coding is a bit more difficult and Blueprints can get a bit messy fast, so we will have to wait and see, if unity catches up with UE5 graphics wise, I might pop back over to create a 3D game in the future, but yeah for now it seems Unity has some problems, sad really it was a really good engine pre 2019.3. Hopefully they get their shine back as I prefer C# to script the gameplay rather than C++/Blueprints.

Happy coding let's hope Unity turns it around and fast!