Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ProBuilder: Setting the width of steps independent of the overall object dimensions

Discussion in 'World Building' started by rbarbosa, Feb 25, 2022.

1. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

Hello community! I've been trying to learn ProBuilder for whiteboxing and it didn't take long before I ran into this problem. The circular staircase shown in this picture does not seem possible with the latest version of PB.

upload_2022-2-25_14-1-13.png

This picture is from the Unity docs, found here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.probuilder@5.0/manual/Stair.html

Basically, I want to make a quarter-circular staircase (90 degrees) in a room that is a 20m by 20m circle. When I create the staircase, I can set the dimensions, step height, etc. But what I can't set is the size of the "donut hole" in the middle. It always seems like the hole is 50% of the width of the staircase. So when I look at my stairs from the top down, I see this:

upload_2022-2-25_14-8-51.png

I changed the width to 24x24 to align it with the grid, but my point remains. Notice the width of the step in the bottom left corner (or top right corner) is the same as the width of the empty space towards the center of the "circle." Basically, my step is 12m wide, because my circular radius is 24m wide. This is not what I want. A 12m wide staircase is ridiculous. What I want is a narrower step but for the whole "circle" to still maintain its 24m radius. In other words, I want a bigger donut hole.

The picture above seems to show just that, but I can't seem to find the in-editor option to make that happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

2. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

An update to my previous post. In PB4, this feature used to be called "Stair Width" and "Inner Radius"

Another user reported the same issue here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/pro...ner-radius-but-the-older-version-can.1182289/

This feels like a pretty substantial omission from PB4 to PB5. The current implementation is pretty much unusable. I even tried to use the experimental CSG feature to cut a large cylinder out of my staircase to suit the width I want, but the CSG feature is not ready yet. It crashes when I try this.

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Note: this was fixed in 5.0.6