Search Unity

ProBuilder: Probuilderize causes objects to go black, materials not to work

Discussion in 'World Building' started by poke50uk, May 3, 2019.

1. poke50uk

poke50uk

Unity 2018.2.7f1
    ProBuilder 3.0.9 (latest according to package manager on the version of Unity we're on)
    Attached is the actual model.

When I try and probuilderize the object on the right, the result is the object on the left.
    No errors are seen in the console.
    When a poly is black, I can't change it's material. It stays black.

I have tried:
    • Rexporting as DAE, 3ds, obj from various applications (Blender, Sketchup, 3DS Max)
    • Rexporting so that the object is made of multiple smaller objects rather than one larger poly mesh (also included, even the simple 20 poly box still is an issue)
    • Selecting the UVs once probuildered and setting to Manual and Box projection
    • Once probuildered, flipping the UVs
    • Switched between Static and not
    • Turned off/on Realitime and Baked Lighting in the scene

BlackCapture.PNG

Doing the same in Unity 2019.1, PB ver 4.0.4 gives me some actual errors, and still doesn't work;
    image (20).png

Attached Files:

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Took some digging, but I figured it out - looks like many (all?) of the faces are doubled up and reversed. I'm not sure if this was on purpose, to create a "double sided visible" effect, or perhaps something caused by import/export? I would suggest checking the source model, and removing those doubled faces - they'll hurt performance (double rendering) and create issues like this.

Image attached: "peeling" apart the two sides:
    upload_2019-5-6_13-40-26.png

3. poke50uk

poke50uk

That's Sketchup, which is all it can do. Object is fine until it's been probuildered.
    So Probuilder doesn't support double faces is what you're saying?

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hmm, hopefully Sketchup has a setting to disable those doubled faces (if that is the reason, not sure on that), those will be a major performance drag (that may or may not matter for your project).

ProBuilder is just an interface to modify existing meshes ... so "supports x/y/z" isn't really a thing. However, it appears that the "ProBuilderize" action is not converting those doubled faces correctly. No worries, we'll look into it and find a solution :)

5. RLord321

RLord321

Any update here?

unityunity