Search Unity

Probuilder prefabs issue

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Zaz1996, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Zaz1996

Zaz1996

Hi, hope someone can help me with this...

When I edit Probuilder meshes that have been converted to prefabs, the performance of Unity rapidly declines, to the point where the editor becomes completely unusable.

If I create a Probuilder Cube Shape and subdivide it 4 times and don't convert it to a prefab, I seem to be able to select faces and shift drag to extrude the small faces without issue at all.

If i create a Probuilder Cube shape, subdivide it 4 times, then convert this shape to a prefab,then try to extrude the smaller faces the performance of the editor declines quickly, to a point where it very quickly becomes unusable. Basically any type of editing (vert/faces/edges) on any probuilder asset prefab has the same result.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I would like to use Probuilder for our next project and this prefab issue is the only thing stopping me from doing this right now.

Unity versions - 2019.3.4f1 and 2019.3.8f1

Probuilder version - 4.2.3

Prefab_Issues_01.jpg

Cheers

2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the bug report. We have a case open for prefab incompatibilities already, and I will add this to the notes.

3. Shizola

Shizola

I'm guessing this issue was never solved? My probuilder mesh prefabs really lag the editor in 2020.3. To get around it I have to export the mesh to an obj, but that takes away half the reason for using Probuilder.

4. Alien_J

Alien_J

This is always been the case as far back as I can remember. Freaking out when I think my machine just froze up. The only thing I can think of (Kaarrrllll, correct me if I'm wrong) is when you create a prefab it's kind of set in stone. As in the mathematical relation to each of the vertices. You can undo 100 times in the editor after you create the prefab, and it will revert back to an un-prefabbed object, but the prefabbed obj still remains in the project folder.

What I do is just "unpack the prefab completely". Make changes. Name that revised obj ... _002. Drag that edited obj into the original prefabs folder, and continue. Gives me peace of mind.

I'm always creating new obj prefabs as I'm building. Since i may screw up the obj beyond recognition, which is a pain to have to undo and remember what i did last before things went haywire, i know the latest/correct version of that object will still be prefabbed in my project folder.

Shizola likes this.