Search Unity

ProBuilder+Polybrush vs Unity terrain - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by GazingUp, Jan 1, 2020.

1. GazingUp

GazingUp

Hello,
    Can somebody please help explain what the difference between the unity terrain system and the combo from probuilder+polybrush is exactly?
    I really like the pro combo because we can easily paint low poly terrains on the scene versus the more convoluted method of first creating a high poly terrain using Unity Terrain, exporting the object to blender, converting it into a low poly model, then re-importing it to Unity as a mesh. I lose the terrain benefits anyway!
    So please help me understand why Unity's got these two ways of doing the same thing?? With the rise of low poly style, I don't understand why Unity terrain is such a pain to work with, but it seems the pro tools have got it handled.
    Am I ok to completely just use the pro combo for my terrains? I really don't want to export and import meshes.
    Is there a performance catch? Because I can easily just create the various LOD for smaller objects and just add occlusion culling to the static meshes right?

luixodev likes this.
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! I'm no expert on the differences, but it really comes down to "it's a mesh" or "it's a terrain system". If you use ProBuilder (or blender, or max, or maya, etc) plus Polybrush, that's simply a mesh. A much simpler asset ... generally. On the other hand, if you use Unity Terrain, there's a lot more complexity ... but you also get a lot more features, it automatic LOD, texture painting, etc.

3. GazingUp

GazingUp

Thank you for the response. I thought of LOD and texture painting, but couldn't LOD easily be handled once all the prototype assets were made and set on probuilder in blender and re-imported anyway? Also for texture painting, doesn't Polybrush take care of that as well?

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Yup, you could certainly get the same results ... however you'll have to manually build + implement them yourself (model each LOD, set up the LODs, create custom shaders for layering textures with Polybrush, etc).

Personally, I prefer the mesh route for smaller scenes, or non-desktop applications. I like to be in control of everything, and using a mesh allows this. For very large scenes though, Terrain would probably be much better for performance.

yadav_unity likes this.
  5. GazingUp

GazingUp

Interesting. How would you suggest to do low-poly (triangulated faces - flat shaded )open world terrain then? Unity terrain cannot do low poly since it is a height map system - at least not with the inbuilt terrain system. I did think about first creating the heightmap and then using low poly meshes all over that terrain - but is this performant?

RSin11 likes this.
  6. jmbarker

jmbarker

I used Blender to create a mesh with my desired dimensions and mesh density, and then imported it into Unity as a .fbx file/mesh. At first I accidentally miscalculated my mesh density and it wasn’t so “low poly” lol