Search Unity

ProBuilder package upgrade - failed remapping files

Discussion in 'World Building' started by pscho, Jun 4, 2019.

1. pscho

pscho

So, I have a fairly large project, where we've used ProBuilder for both level building and for quick vertex coloring of a bunch of our own models. We ran into some troubles recently and it looks like getting ProBuilder up to date (from 3.0.9 to 4.0.5) might help. Plus it seems like there's decent amount of fixes anyway.

However during the upgrade it pops up a window about updating a bunch of assets files (sounds fine to me), but in the end I get a window saying it failed remapping 29 files (bunch or fairly random stuff, some prefabs, some scenes, but also some asset files starring some color presets etc). For each of the failed file it creates a ".remap" file, which seems to be exact duplicate of the original file, just with some GUIDs etc changed (seems to be there should have been no issues just updating the GUIDs in the original files).

Has anybody ran into same issue? What are the remap files, and what's the best way to get this stuff cleaned up and running properly again?

2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

This can happen when file permissions are locked, either by a VCS or another software. The ".remap" files can be safely deleted. The process is basically:

1. Copy text serialized assets with old ProBuilder GUIDs to "WhateverAsset.asset.remap"
    2. Replace old GUIDs with new GUIDs
    3. Move "WhateverAsset.asset.remap" to "WhateverAsset.asset"

If the 3rd step fails, the remap files are left behind.

You can try running the remap process again, as it will not affect already updated assets.

3. pscho

pscho

Ah, ok, I did suspect version control issues since we are using Perforce so the files are locked by default, but it did check out a bunch of files automatically for the update so I assumed that was fine (plus I made sure none of the files were checked out by anyone else). But either way this is a great explanation, sounds like it'll be easy fix tomorrow! Thank you very much!

4. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Glad I could help :)