Search Unity

ProBuilder object and iOS/Android build scene size ?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by MoribitoMT, Feb 13, 2019.

1. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi,

I have 20 vehicles in an additive scene, all of them probuilder object ( not exported ). I used to have build for ios and android and scene size in build report was like 20/30 mb, last one week it has gone up to 300 mb. Also massive memory consuption.

Could I have some how did something to pb_object meshes ? Any idea ? ( There is nothing else in the scene, nothing static )

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! PB meshes are stored in the scene, so you'll see the scene increase in size as you add more PB objects- especially high-poly items. If you prefer, you can export the PB items, and use the exported meshes instead, but of course you lose editing ability, and the data storage is just moved to your project folder (this will help if you are using prefabs, though).

We're looking into a method of storing PB meshes in the project instead (there is an experimental "Meshes are Assets" toggle in the PB Prefs, actually), but it's going to require major changes, so nothing short term on that.

MoribitoMT likes this.
  3. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

I also see huge “File Headers” sections in my build, is this somehow related to pb objects?

And is this Meshes are assets still experimental? Will it help to reduce size of my builf and memory consumption in game play?

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

That feature is definitely experimental, yes. I think the best option for now, if you really need to conserve space:

1) Create a "zoo" scene, basically all your PB models that are instanced often, spread out so you can build/edit there
    2) When a model is ready for use, select it and use "ProBuilder > Export > Asset"
    3) Use that Asset file (mesh) in your actual game scenes
    4) If you need to change the mesh, modify the PB version in your "zoo" scene, then re-export and override the Asset file.

I know, it's a clunky solution, sorry. PB began as a "level editor" so this wasn't an issue of course, but now it's used for vehicles/props/weapons/characters/FX/etc and that's awesome but we need to catch up! :p

hembrom and MoribitoMT like this.
  5. noethis

noethis

Any updates on the status of this experimental feature or scene file size in general? Still recommend manually converting probuilder objects to models?

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Nothing new yet, sorry!

7. Mattmarsden

Mattmarsden

Any updates on the status of this experimental feature or scene file size in general?

megame_dev and Peyot like this.