Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Probuilder not showing a Build button when click New Shape

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Draycen, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Draycen

Draycen

Edit: I found a workaround from another thread, but as far as I'm aware this is a bug so I'll leave it open.

Hi folks

Unity version 2021.3.18f1
    Probuilder version 5.0.6

When I click New Shape I have no Build button. Probuilder appears to be defaulting to a Legacy UI.

Fresh install of Unity and Probuilder. Bit baffled tbh!

upload_2023-2-18_12-24-58.png

Cheers for any guidance!
    Owen

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  2. Draycen

Draycen

I just saw someone else mention the lack of a 'Create' button in another thread, so am guessing this is my design. I also saw the following response which I'm about to try.

Edit: Yep holding shift shows the object, thanks @gabriel_unity.

If this is by design then its' not good UX folks. If it's a bug then fair enough of course.

upload_2023-2-19_21-16-43.png

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! While I get it might not seem clear, it's super duper by design because that clunky old "Build" menu had a ton of issues, edge-case bugs, confusion and even loss of work when people set tons of real specific values then accidentally closed it instead of clicking "build" ... it was bad!

With the new system, point your mouse where the object should go, and either SHIFT-Click or click-drag to interactively draw out the size you want. Then, use the overlay that appears to change the values (like the build menu before), or the inspector.

Benefits here:
    - Zero chance to lose your work, vs previous issue of "oops I clicked close!"
    - The object starts out exactly whare you want it, vs previously it would spawn at unknowable point (could even be behind you ... )
    - You can set size perfectly, relative to other shapes, with that quick interactive drawing action, vs before you'd need to guess at numbers until reaching the right values
    - You can draw or place shapes onto any-angle surfaces, vs simply not possible before
    - You can draw directly onto the grid for instant snapping, also just not not possible before

So anyway ... lots of good stuff! Maybe just needs to be more clear.

ZeroKalvin and wedgiebee like this.