Search Unity

ProBuilder: Moving project from Unity 2017 to 2018

Discussion in 'World Building' started by SentientSkull, Jun 15, 2018.

1. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

What's the proper way to do this? If I make a copy of the project from Unity 2017, then open it in Unity 2018, the project has ProBuilder Advanced 2.9.8f3 still installed. Deleting the ProCore folder breaks all the ProBuilder objects in the scene. I assumed you'd have to uninstall the old version before installing version 3.0.9 from the Package Manager. Or does the new version take care of uninstalling the older version/keep the PB objects intact? How are you supposed to update ProBuilder in general?

2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

You do not need to delete the old folder prior to installing 3.0.9. Instructions for updating from 2.9.8 are here:

http://procore3d.github.io/probuilder2/upgrading/overview/

Note that you no longer need to edit the manifest, you can just open the Package Manager and install through the interface.

3. Gua

Gua

Link leads to 404. I'm using Unity 5.6.6 with old version of probuilder and planning to upgrade my projects to 2018.3, so I also wondering how to properly upgrade probuilder.

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Oof, definitely make a backup (using Git/similar I hope?) before that upgrade, lots could go bad :D

Here's the updated link for that upgrade process:
    http://www.procore3d.com/docs/probuilder/upgrading/overview/

As kaarrrrlllllllll noted, you no longer need to edit the manifest file, just open up the Package Manager (Window > Package Manager), choose ProBuilder, and click "Install" :)

5. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Note: it'll probably help if you update to the very latest Asset Store version first.

6. Gua

Gua

Package Manager refused to install ProBuilder until I switch serialization to ForcedText? Is that normal? Is it safe to switch to ForcedText from Mixed for a huge project? Will SVN be able to detect difference after I switch or do a need to make new repository after switch?

7. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Odd, I just created a new 18.3.0f2 project, swapped to "Mixed", then installed PB 309 - worked fine for me. What happened when you tried?

8. Gua

Gua

I do it to big project that has old version of Probuilder installed. Here's what happens.

9. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Switching to `Force Text` is what allows the conversion utility to find and update the ProBuilder components in your project to the new version. Once that process is complete, you may switch back to `Mixed` or `Binary` if you'd prefer.

If you have a project in version control and switch the formatting, your VCS will still track those files. The difference is that you'll be going from a binary blob to a text based format, which will look like a lot of noise in your diff. So in short, no, you do not to create a new repository. In fact, you could even switch back to "Mixed" or "Binary" after running the conversion utility.

10. Gua

Gua

If I switch back to Mixed or Binary after successful update of Probuilder. Will I be forced to switch to Force Text every time I will need/want to upgrade to new Probuilder version?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  11. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

This is only required when upgrading from major version 2 to 3, or 3 to 4. After 4.0.0 there will not be another update that requires modifying the serialization mode of your project.

The explanation is that we're moving from distributing ProBuilder in pre-compiled DLLs to source code with assembly definition files in this update. Version 2 was distributed on the Asset Store and lived in the Assets folder. Version 3 was still pre-compiled DLLs, but distributed as Package Manager package. Version 4 is entirely source code, and also a package. Once we've rid ourselves of the DLL blobs it becomes no longer necessary to perform the GUID fiddling in text serialized assets.

12. Gua

Gua

It didn't go well. I've converted project to use Force Text and allowed new ProBuilder to make transition. It took a while and this is the last screen that I saw. https://i.gyazo.com/6e4633e933e9870f6b185fd6fbf8726f.png

Now I cannot open project in Unity a see this
    https://i.gyazo.com/edd8f64de029b01f0b6096ed613d7ba9.png
    https://i.gyazo.com/5500beb7bad26c2d34a011f1234a524e.png

update: deleting library folder, to force Unity reimport all assets didn't helped with issie. But now I just get this https://i.gyazo.com/df5eff67376f340f4035e0692bd2d27e.png

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  13. Gua

Gua

I've reverted to previous version of the project. Updated ProBuilder to latest Asset Store version, removed some scene that have probuilder scripts in it that I no longer need in my project. But it didn't helped. Same issue.

Update: If I try to just delete Asset Store version of ProBuilder and install Package Manager version a lose PB models in my prefabs.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  14. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Can you please file a bug report and PM it to me?

15. Gua

Gua

So I managed to find a workaround.

I've noticed that if I just try delete old version of ProBuilder, PB_meshes in scenes are still there and I can probuilderize them to edit them. So the only thing I lose is pb_meshes in prefabs. I also noticed that when I run update to Package Manager tool it touches every prefab that has PB_scripts in it. SVN marks them as prefabs with changes so this basically gave me a list of prefabs that have pb_scripts in them.

https://i.gyazo.com/47b70904c036d8265366514e80f6c91a.png

So I created new scene in put all of those prefabs in it. Removed old version of ProBuilder. Now I have new version of ProBuilder. Then I opened that scene and started removing missing pb_scripts from those objects, probuilderizing them and overwriting original prefabs by dragging modified versions over old version of prefab in project window. (for some reason apply changes wasn't available for those kind of modifications.)

It took me a while to find this method and execute it for all prefabs, but now I'm on latest version of ProBuilder. Hope future updates will go more smooth.