Search Unity

Bug Probuilder meshes explodes when vertex painting

Discussion in 'World Building' started by RevC2, Apr 15, 2023.

1. RevC2

RevC2

Hi,
    I was using Polybrush to vertex paint HDRP layeredlit materials and everything worked ok, the only issue was that right mouse click painted on the mesh (annoying, 'cause you want to rotate the view to paint somewhere else, but it kept painting unwanted strokes). So, I've noticed Polybrush and Probuilder had updates and as soon as I installed them, modified probuilder meshes started exploding as soon as I move the cursor on them to try vertex paint.

On the test project:

https://i.gyazo.com/3395888386e72e11febcfd279939223b.gif

On a brand new project:

https://i.gyazo.com/9f41cc1943de98481ec9ee094cb4c9ee.gif

Console gives those errors back:

upload_2023-4-15_18-47-6.png

Repro:
    - Create brand new 2022.2.15 HDRP project
    - Install Polybrush 1.1.4 and Probuilder 5.0.7
    - Create a Probuilder Cube and perform a "Insert Edge loop" command to add a subdivision
    - Try to vertex paint it with Polybrush causes it to explode

It seems it only happens when edge loops are inserted, if geometry is left untouched vertex painting works as expected.

EDIT: Also, as the errors reported uv problems, I've tried to modify the uvs of the new geometry by hand in Probuilder UV editor and THEN the exploding mesh problem seems to go away

EDIT2: nope, it temporarely fixes it but if paint some other object and then paint the original object again it explodes anyway

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
  2. Mantra-Games

Mantra-Games

Bumping this up as im running into the same issue with the latest update to Probuilder and Polybrush.

in a new project it works fine but in my project the mesh explodes when you try to sculpt or paint after creating a new mesh with Probuilder. It's fine if I dont subdivide it.

I've tried completely removing all references to poly and probuilder in the project, rebuilding library, restarting and reinstalling but it still explodes the mesh.

As a side-related note, PLEASE have some more variety with the Polybrush URP shader. It would be nice to have more than 4 textures slots with normal maps, tiling and the typical settings with the default URP shader.

3. Destrucity

Destrucity

In a Unity 2022.2.9 URP project with Probuilder 5.0.7 and Polybrush 1.1.4. I was able to work around the issue by checking the "Use Additional Vertex Streams" option in Preferences > Polybrush. It still acts like it's going to break momentarily but then snaps into working when I start painting.

4. Mantra-Games

Mantra-Games

That worked! Thanks so much. <3

5. RevC2

RevC2

Thank you! That does the trick. I'm still totally buffled by how devs missed out such a huge problem with a basic tool needed to work on basic level editing.