Search Unity

ProBuilder lightweight render pipeline material error

Discussion in 'World Building' started by DebugLogError, Jun 9, 2019.

1. DebugLogError

DebugLogError

I am trying to create a polyshape at runtime while using the lightweight render pipeline. This throws an error in probuilder when it tries to get the default material. I don't have access to the logs right now, but I can reliably reproduce it and it goes away when I disable the lightweight render pipeline.

I am using Unity 2019.1.5f1 and ProBuilder 4.0.5.

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, sorry for the wait - I'll give this a try but meanwhile could you (if not already) log a bug for this? (via Help > Report a Bug). Thanks!

3. DebugLogError

DebugLogError

I cannot reproduce it in the Unity Editor, only in builds (Android, Oculus Quest).
    It's hard to pull the full logs from the device, but here's the relevant log lines:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an Object
    UnityEngine.ProBuilder.BuiltinMaterials.Init () (at)
    UnityEngine.ProBuilder.BuiltinMaterials.get_defaultMaterial ()
    UnityEngine.ProBuilder.MeshOperations.AppendElements.CreateShapeFromPolygon ()

4. ShaneChristopher

ShaneChristopher

I am also seeing this when building a Polyshap, it happens in WebGL, it seems to only happen once and there isn't anything visually wrong afterwards

DebugLogError likes this.
  5. Florian_Amthor

Florian_Amthor

If anyone still sees this error i found a workaround.

When you call mesh.CreateShapeFromPolygon(...) surround it with a try catch block.

It's dirty but it's working for the moment until that matter gets clarified.

There is also the problem - and maybe the source - that the materials from ProBuilder package(v4.1.0 and older 4.x.x versions) won't be converted properly to be usable with the HDRP.

Materials are found in Packages/com.unity.probuilder(ProBuilder)/Content/Resources/Materials

upload_2019-11-1_18-30-44.png upload_2019-11-1_18-30-56.png

pdinklag and DebugLogError like this.
  6. pdinklag

pdinklag

I can confirm this for builds also on Windows. It doesn't happen in the editor at all.
    Since it appears that absolutely nothing is going to happen otherwise, I filed a bug report for it and will link it here once it's been reviewed.

For me, the mesh isn't being generated at all, so this means missing meshes in my builds. Still better than a crash, though, I guess.

I agree it's probably connected to materials being mapped to the error shader and mentioned that in the report, too. For these kinds of "emergencies", package assets should be editable really.

EDIT: Apparently it was reported in December and is already fixed in a preview build. Yay!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020