Search Unity

ProBuilder Issue - Black faces after subdivide

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Kris91, May 21, 2019.

1. Kris91

Kris91

Hi,

Unity ver: 2019.1.3f1
    ProBuilder: 4.0.5

I have a problem with using a ProBuilder tool. After creating more geometry via subdivide, the faces of the mesh turn black:
    upload_2019-5-21_21-36-54.png

If I increase the subdivides more, whole object goes black.
    It seems like the ProBuilder have some issues with subdivide modifier.

I found similar issues to this and tried the following:
    - Removed double verticles
    - Disabled automatic lightmap

Selecting a reference unit as the shader fixes out this issue, but I need to use Vertex color.

Any hints?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. The_Nerd_Sherpa

The_Nerd_Sherpa

A couple of possibilities:
    1. The subdivisions are creating overlapping UVs
    2. Your normals are inverting

You might try exporting the object to Blender and create the additional geometry there.

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Silly question, but could you double check that this isn't just lightmapping occuring? After subdivision, all those faces will need to be re-lightmapped, and they might turn black temporarily (or have other visual glitches).

EDIT: oops, you already tried that!

Could you post the scene so I can take a look? Thanks! (only scene is needed, PB stores mesh data there, by default)

4. renman3000

renman3000

SOLVED:
    Can you try "Tools > ProBuilder > Repair > Remove Degen Tris" ? Sounds like the mesh has some errors. Or, delete the right top face, then select any edge/vert and click "Fill Hole".

http://www.procore3d.com/forum/topic/2075-connect-edges-object-reference-not-set/

Same thing, also running into the issue of an object not being able to subdivide. The object is an Arch, at 25 degrees, and expanded to 40 units depth, radius and thickness. The object turns black and does not subdivide as asked. Other simpler shapes are subdividing. I can not elect a face of the object, and subdivide it.

See pics.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019