Search Unity

Probuilder is very limited

Discussion in 'World Building' started by psomgeorg, Apr 3, 2019.

1. psomgeorg

psomgeorg

Hello guys, i just wanted to point out this topic in case unity or the creators see it and want to do something about it. Before Probuilder i was working some basic stuff with blender(not complicated just in a beginner concept), however i found it time consuming and more complicated to build single rooms in Blender and then export and compose them together to a whole level( and i am just talking only for the geometry not objects in scene). That's why i said to myself lets give ProBuilder a try. I have to admit it has basic features and can speed up the process, since you can make your whole level in Unity. However it lacks some other really basic stuff and doesn't give you enough control. For instance i was not able and haven't figured out how to delete edges. Sometimes when i weld vertices it keeps some edges and i cant delete them manually. Not having the freedom and control to delete any element, vertex,edge,face is something very crucial when you have to deal with geometry, models etc. Apart from that not only it doesn't give you freedom to delete anything you want, it has some tools,features i personally haven't find use of,split for example. So to sum up, i hope in the future they will add the delete button of single elements

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Yep, ProBuilder is a very simple tool compared to Blender- the idea being, you build the quick, rough layout/shapes with PB, do your rapid prototyping, then move to Blender for final art with full 3D modeling tools.

Regarding the delete edges/verts, yes, we know this is a very important feature and hope to add it in the not-too-distant future, but can't promise anything - it creates lots and lots of edge cases/potential bugs, and we want to make sure we handle it 100% correctly.

As a workaround, you can use "Collapse Verts", especially with "Collapse to First" enabled, to remove unwanted verts and edges. It's clunky, sorry, but will do what you need :)

Faces though - you should be able to select any face(s) and hit "backspace" (or click the Delete Faces button in the toolbar) to delete the selected face(s).

Hope that helps!

Mauri, psomgeorg and JoeStrout like this.
  3. psomgeorg

psomgeorg

I can understand that deleting single vertices and edges is not simple as it may look. I look forward for that in the future. Well yeah i was using weld tool, thats maybe the reason it doesnt remove any connected edges. I will use collapse vertices to see if is better, thank you

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the understanding! I'm a long-time 3DS Max user (6 yrs professional at archviz ...) so I feel your pain, really! :D There's a lot we want to add, and definitely will. Always good to hear what you feel is missing/painful/etc, helps us ensure we are moving in the right directions!

Let me know how the Collapse works, happy to help!

5. markjanzen88

markjanzen88

i agree its pretty limited but im using it for small fixes after i export from 3ds max and its working very good and super useful to not have to go back to 3ds max for small fixes. i mean things like fixing uv's, assigning diff materials, small model glitches like flipped normals, etc.

would love to see more robust modeling similar to 3ds max but the way its working now is still really good. also, i believe this is better than the built in similar features in unreal engine (at least the last time i checked it was).

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  6. psomgeorg

psomgeorg

It worked nice, one more issue i find is the polygon shape. I made the shape of a huge floor with many rooms and halls, and then i extruded it and flipped the normals to use it as an interior. The problem is that the floor and ceiling are a big ngon. And basically ngons are a nightmare in any modelling software since u can't use most of the tools. The same applies to PB. I discovered after 2 days of work that the ngon limit so much my editing and modelling capabilities,that i had to redone everything using planes. What i am trying to say is that poly shape is a bit dangerous(unless you make sure to shape in quads, i guess) for the user and because of that i believe you should add a knife tool in the future, to reshape it into quads.
    I dont think triangulate woks really well in that case

7. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Yep, agreed- we have an open ticket for quadrifying that Ngon :)

However, you can do something similar to the "knife" tool, by selecting verts on the Ngon and using "Connect Vertices" (or "ALT E"). Doing this, you can customize the Ngon into quads/tris/etc, exactly as you need. Hope that helps! :)

syscrusher likes this.