Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Probuilder is annoying with source control (random changes in serialization)

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Thex_PiedDroit, May 4, 2018.

1. Thex_PiedDroit

Thex_PiedDroit

Hi,

I've had this issue since before unity 2018 but hoped it would get fixed, and apparently it hasn't been, but probuilder seems determined to change lots and lots of things in the scene files every time we change something, which makes using source control very tedious on scenes.

Here's an illustration:
    capture.gif

Now if from there i would be to move something else in the scene, it would do the same kind of changes again (or sometimes only a mesh's m_Name, like this):
    Capture.JPG

I don't really understand why all of this happens, especially since it appears to be kind of random (sometimes, if i have only a few pb_meshes in a scene, i can make lots of changes without any issue but then all of a sudden it will decide to change one's name for no reason).

I hope this is something that can be fixed, because so far it has been a major annoyance in using probuilder. As you can imagine, it's pretty unthinkable to handle conflicts with those sorts of changes.

Thanks for you time, have a good one!

reinfeldx and Fira-Soft like this.
  2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

That doesn't seem right to me. Is there a bug report open for this that you could PM me?

3. Thex_PiedDroit

Thex_PiedDroit

Yes i just opened one and sent it to you, thanks!

Fira-Soft and kaarrrllll like this.
  4. rhys_vdw

rhys_vdw

We have this issue presently. What was the solution?

5. Thex_PiedDroit

Thex_PiedDroit

Hello there!
    Unfortunately there was no solution that i am aware of. The bug report is still open and no answer has been given to it.

I hope some solution may be found for you!

6. rhys_vdw

rhys_vdw

The best solution I've come up with for this is to put all your ProBuilder objects in prefabs, that way they only thrash when you edit the individual prefab, not the scene. Or you can just avoid using probuilder entirely. This latter option is by far my favourite.

BennyKokMusic likes this.
  7. itadakiass

itadakiass

Still a problem. @kaarrrllll Can you please give us an update? It has been long 3 years and I think we deserve atleast "Won't Fix/By design".

8. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

The original ticket was closed as by design. However, we kept tracking this as a feature because even beyond the VCS annoyances there are fundamental problems with the way that mesh data is serialized. It's tentatively scheduled for work this year, but I can't make any promises as to when it will land.

itadakiass likes this.
  9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

We have this problem as well, where the
    m_Name
    property of a
    Mesh
    randomly changes between builds.

This is especially bad for us, because it's a live game where content is provided via CDN and we have to pay for the download bandwidth.

Since Pro Builder assigns random Mesh names sometimes during a build, we have to pay for it. I mean we literally pay money for it, because Pro Builder changes scenes that actually have no changes, thus more data must be downloaded, thus more traffic is generated, thus more costs.

This is not really something you should postpone. We use Unity Cloud Content Delivery and due to this bug Unity Technologies earns money, so I can see why it's in Unity Technologies interest to postpone or not fix it at all ;)

reinfeldx likes this.
  10. Adrian

Adrian

We also have this issue. Previously I was able to rely on UnityYAMLMerge to merge changes on different parts of the same scene but now that we're using ProBuilder there are always superfluous conflicts, making collaborating on scenes much more tedious.

There also hasn't been much progress on ProBuilder, will this be fixed with the "Native Level Design tools" that are "In Progress" on the Unity roadmap? Has there been some progress port on that?

11. okoUser1

okoUser1

We also have this issue since we started using probuilder. It's really annoying to always having to revert the scenes just because probuilder rebuilds/renames those meshes. Is there any update on this issue?

12. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

13. Adrian

Adrian

@kaarrrllll Great news!

Didn't know about ObjectChangeEvents, even if it has been around for a while. Might also come back to reference this the next time I'm struggling with generated data and game object duplication.

kaarrrllll likes this.