Search Unity

ProBuilder Integration

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by Jacob_Unity, Feb 15, 2018.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

@kaarrrllll the folder "ProBuilder Data" appears in my root assets folder. I very much object to this as it's the only asset I have that behaves quite that obnoxious, as if it is more important than my project and structure. Please make it definable or local to the asset itself, or allow it to live in an Assets/Settings/ folder like HD pipeline assets :)

Basically probuilder is the odd man out.

2. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

You can already instantly setup a four scene view in Unity without Pro Builder by selecting "4 split" from the layouts popup or by creating your own layout and saving it for future use.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    kaarrrllll likes this.
  3. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

You can move that folder where-ever you want to. You can even delete it and move the individual parts different places. ProBuilder will handle finding it's project-local resources as long as they're in the Assets directory somewhere.

To provide a bit more context, Package Manager modules are stored in a write-protected directory, so when there are resources that need to be modified by the user (material palettes, preferences, etc) they will be copied to the Assets directory.

theANMATOR2b and hippocoder like this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I see - phew. I was like "what the hell! my beautiful project is being invaded!" :)

TeagansDad and kaarrrllll like this.
  5. Alverik

Alverik

Is the decal system going to be integrated too? Unity really needs a native decal system which handles irregular meshes and stuff.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Unity has a decal system built into the HD pipeline already and it works fine. Do you mean meshes ?

7. Flavelius

Flavelius

Quite often i find that the Polybrush asset randomly attaches the z_additionalVertexStreams component to objects it touches (even if it's only used to place prefabs).

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

We still can't see probuilder in the package manager (beta 9)

9. Epiplon

Epiplon

Yeah, you're right. This is good news anyway, I'll keep an eye for what comes now. ;)

10. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

Not only are we supporting FBX, but our goal is to provide a simple and efficient workflow for artists and designers trough Probuilder and FBX roundtrips with other DCC tools. We are still improving the FBX Exporter and, soon enough, it will be available through the Package Manager like Probuilder.

Flavelius and andyz like this.
  11. Ellye

Ellye

I have a question:

I've been using ProCore on my project for a year or so. My Unity version is currently 2017.1 if I'm not mistaken (not at home right now to check it).

Will I have to do anything different if I want to update my Unity version in the future? Anything to ensure compatibility with what I've been using from ProCore with the new prepackaged ProBuild or such?

Also, will the rest of the ProCore bundle keep working?

12. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Projects built using the Asset Store will need to be upgraded to the 2018.1 version of ProBuilder using a built in utility. So no, you don't need to do anything special, but once a project is upgraded to 2018.1 it is not reversible.

ProBuilder, ProGrids, and Polybrush are the only supported tools from 2018.1 and up. That said, I don't see anything on the horizon that would prevent them from working.

13. mcooley5155

mcooley5155

Aside from the fact that I just paid $150 last month for the bundle and now its free doesn't make me all that happy. But on top of it, it seems that nothing I created with the version I paid for will load into the game anymore. Anything already in the scene is fine, but trying to add that same prefab visually brings in an empty object.

14. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/02/1...-editor-advanced-level-design/#comment-369097

"UPDATED: in fact if you bought ProBuilder on/or after January 1st, 2018 contact our customer service for a refund and please allow us some time to process ;-)"

15. Alverik

Alverik

Haven't tried the HD pipeline, will take a look, thanks. Still, it would be cool to have a decal system for all pipelines. Specially if the decals can be projected on different mesh shapes (like some assets I've tried before) and not just on flat geometry. Would totally understand if the versions for simpler pipelines had less features though.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Decals for LW would indeed be meshes though.. if you wanted the perf it promises :)

GameDevCouple_I likes this.
  17. Deeeds

Deeeds

When placing a ProBuilder Torus, rotation around X and Y work around centre, but Z is on the edge of the shape. Why is this? And how do I correct it?

18. recursive

recursive

Is there an ETA on when the Probuilder shaders will be compatible/have alternates for ScriptableRenderPipelines, specifically the Lightweight Pipe?

19. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Yes, it's in the next ProBuilder update.

FROS7 and recursive like this.
  20. recursive

recursive

Good to know, thanks!

21. Epiplon

Epiplon

Oh, just some question that popped up: with the release of 2017.4 and long-term support, engine versions prior to 2018 will receive Probuilder updates and bug fixes?

22. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

2017.x will only receive absolutely critical bug fixes, and no new features.

23. marvalshot

marvalshot

sorry if I don't see it. Feel like I should :) but how the heck do I get Progrids open. I had the pay version previously.

24. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

It's in Tools > ProGrids > Open ProGrids.

25. marvalshot

marvalshot

Thanks. Turns out I had to download it separately from the store. It's not currently part of the package manager package

26. Zargy

Zargy

Not sure if this should go here, but I need to know if there's a feature in ProBuilder that I just can't find. When I'm in face mode, and have the scene view in orthographic view, is there a way to select faces that aren't visible. Demonstration:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Z0k7e_Ib_dgqijrMd_LVaqQ0k9cTCgI/view
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RoDJhgN6J7BpSR16CBklTFSoTmpges6-/view?usp=drivesdk
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fIxlRdjKtobv5PkbGqkMBVjFQ6uC5WzG/view?usp=drivesdk

This seems like such a basic feature for something like this to have. It makes orthographic greyboxing pretty unattainable. Does probuilder have this feature anywhere?

27. Deeeds

Deeeds

When placing a ProBuilder Torus, rotation around X and Y work around centre, but Z is on the edge of the shape. Why is this? And how do I correct it?

28. adamz

adamz

Is there a way to clear the cache or delete the history when using ProBuilder? It seems that after a while of editing a mesh, every undo (ctrl-z) take 10+ seconds before the scene reverts to the previous allowing me to work in Unity again. Thanks.

29. andyz

andyz

Check for updates on 2017 just says failed to connect to server BTW.

30. SandboxRuckus

SandboxRuckus

Checking for updates gets this screen
    screen-capture-2.png

31. AurelWu

AurelWu

Whenever I , accidently and out of habit press ctrl+z to undo something while I was editing a polyshape, like for example wanting to revert an extrusion, it completely reverts all changes I did and even redo does not fix that. Would be nice if probuilder would work better with undo/redo (or am I doing something wrong?)

marvalshot and TheGamby like this.
  32. marvalshot

marvalshot

Same here. Frustrating because can't break the habit. .... Running 2018 Beta 13

33. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

This is a bug that has been fixed for the next update, and will be getting backported to the 2017.x package as well.

TheGamby, FROS7 and AurelWu like this.
  34. Ascensi

Ascensi

I'm not sure how polybrush works right now but I imagine that used a sphere with grid like resolution/quads that it would be amazing to be able to snap extrude with equal length/sized faces and basically sculpt a landscape entirely from that sphere then later add Megasplat with displacement texturing as long as no cracks result. I'd like to in the end bake the landscape to FBX with the textures for use in other film projects.

35. Ascensi

Ascensi

Will it be possible to add Triplanar shader support to embed or export the textures along with the FBX?

36. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Polybrush does have a triplanar shader, or you can use one of your own with Polybrush. As to exporting the shader with FBX, I think the closest you would be able to get is hooking it up to a similar shader implemented in your modeling suite of choice.

Alverik likes this.
  37. Hafazeh

Hafazeh

DUDE, thank you, you just made my day!

38. markgrossnickle

markgrossnickle

Any chance of ProBuilder being open sourced so we could create our own extensions?

39. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

unityunity