Search Unity

ProBuilder - How to boolean/subtract object from another

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Vaupell, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Vaupell

Vaupell

Hi all, been a way for some years working on UE,, next project im back on U3D.

However, i'm horrified to see some of my favorite tools, bought up and added into unity.
    Now only did probuilder lose its uniqueness, but also its interface and turned into generic bleh...

Enough whining..

I got the probuilder window open, i have to shapes i want to use on shape to cut out in the other "subtract"

However, either things are grayed out, or simply not there..

Any ideas? nothing usefull on youtube, only good videos showing back when probuilder was standalone.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

You can't do boolean subtraction in Probuilder.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

myaydin likes this.
  4. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yes you can. You have to enable it... I know it used to do it and a Unity employee told me you have to go somewhere and enable it to get the feature. I believe he said it was in the preferences window.. The boolean options used to be there already but for some reason Unity made it disabled initially (why I don't know).

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's an experimental build option, as Ryiah just pointed out. I've used Probuilder for ages and boolean was always experimental and the kinda thing you had to grab off a github branch because it had some severe bugs that did things like periodically crash the editor.

6. ElDivinCodino

ElDivinCodino

Hi guys, don't know if still useful, but I leave here for the posterity.
    To enable experimental features in Unity 2019.* go to Edit -> Preferences -> ProBuilder -> Experimental Features Enabled.

Have a nice day

harleydk, jakejolli and SolidAlloy like this.
  7. Claytonious

Claytonious

On Unity 2019.3.10f1, trying to toggle that checkbox does not work. It refuses to turn on. Anyone know how to turn it on in 2019.3.10?

EDIT: Ah, it refuses to turn on if you have any compiler errors in your project at that moment. After fixing those, it does turn on.

8. hgokturk

hgokturk

No compile error but still doesn't let to turn it on. Any solution?

9. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

i use sabre csg

Querke likes this.
  10. hgokturk

hgokturk

Do Unity tech team have any idea why it's not possible to enable experimental features?

11. asaknight

asaknight

I have observed that it takes a couple of seconds for the selection/deselection of the "Experimental Features Enabled" check box to take effect. Try selecting or deselecting, moving to another menu item, and then back to ProBuilder. That has been working for me.

The issue I'm currently having is that the first subtraction of a cylinder from a plane (to make a pool table) does not work. All subsequent subtractions work fine.

12. Zimnel

Zimnel

I had a Stack Overflow error when I tried to apply a substraction : /

UnityBooleanStackOverflow.jpg

13. Gornian

Gornian

I found that if you have build for IOS - Experimental features not possible to enable. When switched to PC/Windows it works ok. Unity version 2019.4.5, 2020.1.2, 2020.1.3

v_James_v likes this.
  14. SkepticalJS

SkepticalJS

swap your items with the button in the middle

15. amoraleite

amoraleite

Than

thank you very much! Save me a time!
    I can confirm, switch platform to PC and and the toggle check box will work!

I had stackOver too. :(
    StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
    UnityEngine.ProBuilder.Csg.Plane.SplitPolygon (UnityEngine.ProBuilder.Csg.Polygon polygon, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] coplanarFront, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] coplanarBack, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T]

Any ideias?

16. IsouEU

IsouEU

Thank you so much, it's up for me, but trying to cut a plane with a cilinder and always crash the editor

17. Querke

Querke

I use RealtimeCSG. CSG makes cutting hole a breeze

18. jakejolli

jakejolli

Thanks!

Still works in 2020.3.19f1

19. AbhiramNagam

AbhiramNagam

unity is crashing when i used subtraction. It works fine for union and intersection