Search Unity

ProBuilder has poor construction tolerance on large scale project

Discussion in 'World Building' started by jumisko, Aug 14, 2020.

1. jumisko

jumisko

I have noticed that when building larger projects in ProBuilder the construction tolerance is not great. A simple plane is not completely level, though the rotation shows no tilt. I checked that the walls are of equal height, and the bottom edge is at zero, along with the plane, but clearly it is not. I have included a couple of images here for you to see. This is the same room, different sides - about 30 meters across the room from each other. tolerances.png

I have also noted that after creating many extrusions, some extrusions along some planes are not extruding exactly along their normals, but at slight angles. Now that I know this, I sometimes catch it, and can correct the angle, but at times, I have noted the error after much building.

I suppose I should just use another 3d program (Blender), but ProBuilder is very much more intuitive and nice to build with (when it behaves itself).

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue. On DIscord, I mentioned this, but most people don't do large-scale builds with it, or are probably not concerned with a truly accurate build since it is technically a prototyping tool.

Unity 2019.4 LTS, ProBuilder 4.3.1, ProGrids 3.0.3 preview.6

savelmark02 likes this.
  2. savelmark02

savelmark02

Yes! I noticed this problem too!

3. warthos3399

warthos3399

It is a prototyping asset, not meant for production/developing, its been said here many times, lol. Personally i see why you posted the issue you ran into (alot of others have noticed it, and hopefully made a bug report on it), its all you can do.

PB is a good asset, and has its place. My question is: why would anybody want to invest alot of time with it?, or figure out probs with it... its just a prototype tool. You have better things to do with your time :).

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean, I always saw that as an excuse for it being kinda bad.

Does it have features that make it really good specifically for prototyping, or does it do an okay job at everything until complexity goes up a bit and then things fall apart? If it's the former, then you are right, if it's the latter, then it's just a bad feature that is only good to fool around with.

See also: Unity is said to be great at prototyping.

5. warthos3399

warthos3399

Doesnt mean its bad, and its not. With PB the higher complexity (like making a large level with it) it doesnt scale well, but then again its not supposed to. PB is great for what it does. Just prototype things out, then replace things with real game objects and develop your game. Can you use PB stuff in a real game, sure, hell i can make anything with a mesh/mat/texture.

Probuilder is there like a introductional tool to Unity. You can make floors/walls/ramps/etc. to rough out an idea. PB is a tool, Unity is good at prototyping and so much more, it depends on your usage of the tool, Unity itself, and your goal...

ron-bohn likes this.
  6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

My point and question is, are there parts of its feature set that made trade offs in favor of prototyping and if they tried to make it a more fully featured tool, it would become worse at prototyping, or is it simply that no parts of it are fast or robust or well thought out enough, so it scales like ass, at which point the prototype label acts more like an excuse?

Like for many years it didn't have the ability to remove edges (I don't know if it has it now), was it because it's a prototype tool, or was it because it is (was?) kinda ass?

7. warthos3399

warthos3399

Ive used it a few times because some of my students liked it, and it did help them prototype out ideas, but i also explained its not a game making asset or anything you should count on for production/development of a game.

I understand what your asking, but im not on the dev team to know what their plans are for it, as its not an asset i spend time working with, researching, and following the development of. I just know what its purpose is, and it does it well enough.

But i can tell you this: after class one night i decided to test it my way, lol. So i deved out a 1024x1024 terrain (flat) and started building out a full environment with it. The more objects i added (optimized objects) and the bigger the scene got, you could see and feel the impact. But once again why spend time on a prototyping tool, when you should be developing a game with real objects and real ideas... and lastly, real results.

Brother, we dont know their intentions with PB accept what they tell us. All we can do is report possible bugs, and hope they get solved, lol :)

AcidArrow likes this.
  8. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

LOL there are tons of models created with probuilder that are used in production. You're supposed to export your models when you are finished with them. There is literally nothing that would make it "not production ready". It creates models and those can be exported as fbx, obj, unity mesh, or whatever you need.

Is it the best choice for everyone? Probably not, but it has nothing to do with whether it game make production ready models. It is ALSO good for prototyping.

EDIT: The more they update probuilder the worse it gets imo. They keep trying to make it something it's not and really just need to stop. I can't stand the new shape creation tool.

warthos3399 likes this.
  9. Mauri

Mauri

FYI: The OP made this thread in 2020. savelmark02 just necroed it...

Wasn't Manifold Garden entirely made with ProBuilder?

EDIT: Actually, there were more games made using ProBuilder:
    ( https://unity.com/features/probuilder )

So much for "ProBuilder is only meant for prototyping" :p

ron-bohn likes this.
  10. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

People bashing it for some of the unfounded reasons they do is comical to me. Overall, it's one of the most intuitive hard surface modeling programs I've used. My opinion is that people want to gatekeep 3D modeling