Search Unity

Probuilder Handle Mode not working

Discussion in 'World Building' started by swanijam, Oct 29, 2018.

1. swanijam

swanijam

I'm new to probuilder, but I'm pretty sure this is broken - When I have any object selected, my Handle/transform widget is stuck at the world origin. No matter what Handle mode I have selected, Local, World, or Plane, the widget remains in place. This is for all objects in the scene, both Probuilder Shapes and not.

Additionally, setting an object's position in the inspector to 0,0,0 consistently places the object at the same offset from the origin as the offset from widget to the object. So if the object is about (0, 3, -4) from the widget, setting its position to (0,0,0) places it at about (0,3,-4).

Using Center Pivot does nothing, changing the handle mode does nothing, toggling the unity buttons Pivot/Center and Local/Global does nothing.

I haven't managed to find anyone else expression confusion about this in the forums or anywhere else. Anybody know what's up?

Thanks for the help!

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

EDIT: if you switch to the rotate tool, then back, this will fix the issue (sorry, still working on a fix...)

Hi! Sorry about this, it's a bug we've seen pop up in rare circumstances- if you restart Unity, things will revert to correct function.

We're working on isolating the issue, and will have a fix ASAP :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  3. swanijam

swanijam

I've had it return frequently even after restarting, but after four or five restarts i haven't seen it in a little while. Glad to know i'm not just misreading the manual, though. Thank you!

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  4. timewizardgames

timewizardgames

I am also running into this issue, quite a lot. Need to restart unity maybe a dozen times per day while using Pro Builder. Good to know it's being worked on.

5. SteveSwink

SteveSwink

Still happening many times a day for me in 2018.2.17f1 / Probuilder 3.0.9

Super duper annoying to restart many times a day. Would love an update! Also this happens on my desktop and both my laptops. Maybe I can help track it down...it's like a 100% thing for me, not a bug that pops up in rare circumstances. Probably some weird input order that I often use idk.

6. SteveSwink

SteveSwink

I think I have isolated the problem. 100% reproduce for me with a fresh project, only Probuilder imported:

If you use the scale tool while in geometry mode (tested both Vertex and Face) the handle gets stuck forever and you have to restart Unity to get it working again.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  7. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks Steve! I'll give that a try here. Found a similar 100% repro here also. More repro is better repro! :D

8. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Also: if you swap to the Rotate tool, then back to other tool, that'll fix the issue (temporarily). No need to restart Unity. Obviously that's not a fix, heh, just a little better workaround for now! :)

9. SteveSwink

SteveSwink

Great! Thanks for the workaround :)

Note for other folks who find this...workaround steps:
    1. switch to rotate tool
    2. rotate the faces / verticies
    3. undo
    4. handle gets unstuck

10. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

@SteveSwink Are you able to repro this in 4p37? Using your method, for me, everything works fine.

11. SteveSwink

SteveSwink

Sorry, which release is that? Happy to check it out though I don't see a 4p37 in Hub or patch releases.

Attached Files:

12. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

13. SteveSwink

SteveSwink

Aha! Ok cool.

I am in the package manager but the highest version I see is 4.0.0 - preview 33. Do I need to be on the latest version of Unity to access the most recent version of PB?

Screenshot_2.jpg

14. SteveSwink

SteveSwink

Answered my own question...yeah, so with Unity 2018.3.0f2 and 4.0.0 - preview 37 it works for me! :)

So unless something funny was happening with my Package Manager I'll need to be on most recent Unity version to use the latest preview package?

15. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hmm, that's odd indeed...version of Unity should definitely not matter. Maybe a network drop out or something?

16. SteveSwink

SteveSwink

Ah ok, that's good to know. I'll check it again - maybe just didn't connect properly to staging server.

17. SteveSwink

SteveSwink

Just a quick update - on multiple machines, in Unity 2018.17f1 I am not able to get Package Manager to show Probuilder preview builds past 33 as in the screenshot above. Not sure what's up with that; maybe an issue with Package Manager that needs logging?

18. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! Sorry, I was mistaken - PB 4.0 will require Unity 18.3 and up, that's why you aren't seeing anything above p33.

19. SteveSwink

SteveSwink

Roger, thanks! Motivation to do the upgrade :).