Search Unity

1. Click here to receive a gift with your purchase of Unity Pro or Unity Enterprise.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

ProBuilder ProBuilder grid snap counter-intuitive behaviour

Discussion in 'World Building' started by crdmrn, Nov 15, 2020.

1. crdmrn

crdmrn

So, as Unity no longer supports ProGrids, ProBuilder is now using the built-in snap function.
    Now, this dosen't seem work on absolute values but rather on increments.
    For example, if I set the increment snap to 1 and I then try to move an object that is placed at 1.6 on the X axis, it will go on moving at 2.6, 3.6, etc, when I'd need it to should snap to absolute values.
    This creates maddening situations when using ProBuilder to block out a level; it's so easy to misplace a vertex/edge/face and then it's almost impossible to bring them back to the original position, especially when the error is noticed too late.
    I'm not sure why you chose to implement the grid snap function like that, but at least give users the chance to choose how it should work cause tbh, ProBuilder used to be near perfect for level prototyping until ProGrids was dropped :(

Edit: I realized it's actually possible to have global grid snapping when the Handles rotation is set to Global (why can't I turn it on when they're set to local I'm not really sure, used to be possible and pretty useful in ProGrids).
    Also, the snap settings are now a detachable panel that takes away way more space than it should (I mean, why couldn't it stay an overlay) as well as breaking the workflow.
    I don't want to sound nostalgic, and I do really understand why you would want to make this feature a built-in and more sophisticated one, but this doesn't mean you have to throw away all the things that were learned by iteration developing something like ProGrids ^^"

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
unityunity