Search Unity

Probuilder feedback

Discussion in 'World Building' started by hippocoder, Sep 2, 2019.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I spent time with Probuilder this weekend, and it's strength is in the control of things. But the biggest pain point is with the boolean workflow. Often you just want to knock a hole in something. It doesn't have to be fancy (that's what decorator props are for) but it needs to be not taking several lengthy actions to do.

Typically I'd make a general cube shape but want it it hollowed out.

Then I'd be indecisive where I want my doors and windows, and this is so common. in fact it's been an all too frequent headache for decades now, and I think probuilder should add some realtime csg elements. I'm not talking about complicated stuff, just boxes alone are game changers in this respect. Just boxes. Hollowing things out with rotated boxes or cutting holes with rotated boxes is whole story. I don't need more!

Even that is is a terrific time saver. It's pretty much the only real missing thing, as I've been babbling about for a while now. The experimental feature currently available crashes more often than not, while having a clunky workflow.

If only.... if only... rotated realtime box subtractions were a native thing! We don't even need intersect or anything else. Just subtract. Since Probuilder does the everything-else part fine.

Thoughts?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

We know it's a problem, and we'd love to build a great solution ... but first we're building a better foundation on the Unity side - new Mesh API and a few other things. So both ProBuilder and other tools (ie, Asset Store) will have access to better tools!

hippocoder likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's truly great you're looking into it in the longer term though, thanks :)