Search Unity

"ProBuilder"- Fast, Simple 3D Modeling in Unity- Beta Test to Win a Free Copy! :)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yahodahan, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yahodahan

yahodahan

Here you go- script attached. Just place the script in your "Assets/Editor" folder, then choose "Window/6by7/Remove Grid" from the top menu.

Adding a direct method for this in ProGrids v1.1.

Attached Files:

2. lucidcoder

lucidcoder

I started freelancing here and there just to raise money to buy this, because things are kind of tight at the moment. Nevertheless, this is definitely hands-down the one thing Unity has needed all along.

Only $55 dollars to go...

3. Stardog

Stardog

Did you change something with the UV's in the last few months?

Everytime I edit geometry then click Done it changes the UV's. It's impossible to make a texture line up...

If you could use a grid texture without the middle cross you would see it easily.

4. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Stardog- I see that, sorry for the trouble. If you can wait just a few days longer, I'm working with another fellow to release v1.6, which is entirely focused on UV control. This issue and several others will be fixed, plus adding some very handy features, like being able to quickly and simply "continue" textures from one plane to another.

Coming very soon, I promise!

5. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks Sigma!

6. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I am working on an RPG project called Thora (see signature). I've never built an environment before using a 3D tool, because hitherto the Unity landscape tools have offered me enough power.

For Thora, I'm already seeing that this will not continue to be the case. Rather than having to go back and forth between Blender - good tool though it is - I would much rather use ProBuilder to build dungeons and the terrain of the world map. Further, since this tool has its limitations (I read the word 'simple' modelling in Unity...), it's intended to act somewhat as a prototyping system. I intend to contract an actual 3D artist later in the project's life cycle.

7. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Asvarduil-

Thanks for your comment, looking forward to what you create!

However- you might be very, happily surprised at what you can create with ProBuilder :) It is for much more than just prototyping. Have you played any Valve games lately? In every game they make- Portal 2, Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Counterstrike- 70-90% of the environments are built using this exact system. In fact, Valve's world editor, "Hammer", is the inspiration for ProBuilder, you might say I'm flat-out copying it into Unity.

TeamFortress 2 is, in my opinion, one of the best looking games you can play, even now- so, ProBuilder might be "simple", but it's incredibly powerful, and proven :)

8. Trysoft7

Trysoft7

Wo this is a great game! you are doing very well so fr in the beta stage keep it up and your gaurenteed a spot later on on any console of your choice!

9. airop

airop

I would like to test and see if we can use ProBuilder for our current PC title that runs on Unity4.

PS: Keep up the awesome work !

10. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Definently agreed! TF2 is what has led me to think about creating assets in a stylized way that is still easy on the eye.

My drawback in the end is that I'm a trained programmer, but an untrained artist. My knowledge of 3D is quite lacking, and mostly self-taught 'the hard way' (i.e. letting skilled folks like you give feedback on my creations. It's not as bad as it used to be. ;) )

Question for you about ProBuilder - for someone with a limited skillset (as in, someone like me), on a scale of 1-10, 1 being useless, 10 being a required piece of software, how would you rank ProBuilder?

11. yahodahan

yahodahan

Usefullness would depend on what you intend to do- if your game would include items that ProBuilder can do easily (which just about anything structural, or stylized natural formations), I would rank it a 10.

Even if you won't be using it all for architecture/etc, ProBuilder can be really handy for setting up trigger, occlusion, and collision volumes. It's also invaluable for extremely rapid prototyping, without ever leaving Unity.

So, in some cases, you might get less use out of it, but I honestly believe this is a tool that no game engine should be without- I'm still shocked that Unity hasn't built in their own method, as every single other engine does, and it is the primary form of geometry for others.

Also, especially as a trained programmer, ProBuilder will help in that it's just plain simple to use. Jumping into a full-on 3D program will take a lot of learning and time, and in the end create basically the same thing that ProBuilder could, until you get into advanced modeling. Then again, you might find yourself to become a 3D modeling prodigy :D

12. mrmarooca

mrmarooca

This looks so awesome!!!

13. yahodahan

yahodahan

Good to hear!

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi everyone!

Very excited to announce, ProBuilder 1.6 is out and ready to to use! This update brings some great improvements, and a few completely new features, mostly on the UV and texturing side of things. Here's the complete list:

--mesh error/leaks is fixed
    --New "UV Control" panel will open up when you click "Edit Texture"
    ---Flip U: flip texture horizontally
    --Flip V: flip texture vertically
    ---Swap U/V: it's complicated...but very useful in certain situations. Try it!
    --Fill: force the texture to fill the plane completely, without stretching (offset by scale values)
    ---Scale X/Y: same as before
    --Offset X/Y: same as before
    ---Rotation: same as before
    ---World Space: force UV coordinates to be in World Space, or -------Local Space
    ---Material: This is the exciting part! Now you can simply browse for a material, or drag 'n drop
    ---Apply: Apply the selected material to all selected planes
    ---Reset: reset all values to default, does not change material
    --Auto-normalized UV2 channel generated on-the-fly
    Simply put, this means absolutely gorgeous lightmaps!
    --Use Shift+Right click, with a plane selected, to copy that plane's UV settings to another

Keep watching for the v1.65 announcement very soon, new tutorials and documentation, forums, and even more!

15. yahodahan

yahodahan

16. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,

I checked the videos, really nice.
    But if I want to build something where I want to give option to user to build environment. Drawing line, shapes, adding external meshes, texturing etc.
    If yes please response as quickly as possible as I want to buy it for my next project.

Dev

17. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi devang_xprt, Building meshes in-game is part of 2.0, you bet! We are actually building a game around it at the moment, to show what can be done.

Lines and complex shapes would be tricky, but possible doable. Right now, we've only tested with boxes.

18. kenlem

kenlem

So if I buy the version on the Unity Asset Store now, will I get version 2.0 when it comes out?

19. yahodahan

yahodahan

Actually, you'll get it right away! The 2.0 Beta is available to all current customers, and is 95% finished. I recommend to everyone who purchases, just use the 2.0 beta- it's very stable, and much, much more advanced.

20. karl_

karl_

What sort of lines do you mean? GLLines, wireframe objects, poly lines?

Importing external meshes is possible, but is not currently implemented. The (2.0) API has methods to construct your own objects, but you'll still have to parse vertex and triangle data (and sort them) yourself. Your best bet would be OBJ, as the file format is relatively simple. Alternatively, if you have Unity Pro the FBXSDK is another option for importing meshes.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot- Open Asset Importer is another great option if you have Pro. http://assimp.sourceforge.net/

21. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey. Just wanted to post a few requests here. I am using the free version of pro builder at the moment, and I am thinking of getting the full. But I had a few requests.

One thing I have noticed(Not sure if the pro version is different), is that when I disable the pro builder editor, each face of the objects are a separate child gameobject. This could be a very large potential problem for performance when building even a medium sized map.. Either way its not a huge deal to me cause I just use the combine children script when I am finished a section. However, if I may make a suggestion, if you were somehow able to implement a combine children whenever the edit mode is exited, while saving the data of each of the faces, this could prove very useful.

Another request is, having more shapes than just boxes. If you could implement sphere and cylinder shapes, that would really top off this package and really make it worth my purchase. ;) Thanks.

22. karl_

karl_

ProBuilder 2.0 will launch in the next day or two, and addresses most of these requests! I know the free version is already available here: http://bit.ly/WMNJL2

Full thread on 2.0 here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/156435-ProBuilder-2.0-Beta-is-out-it-s-coming-together-folks!

23. yahodahan

yahodahan

24. SteveJ

SteveJ

Hi - I'm looking at buying ProBuilder fairly soon. I was wondering if the ProGrids functionality is basically covered within ProBuilder, or if it's still best to buy both of them?

EDIT: Oops - guessing this is the wrong thread (WIP). Sorry.

25. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I bought both, my impression is that the grid stuff is not covered in ProBuilder at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.