Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"ProBuilder"- Fast, Simple 3D Modeling in Unity- Beta Test to Win a Free Copy! :)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yahodahan, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yahodahan

yahodahan

Neat looking scene, the textures really work well!

The UV matching is something I'm really hoping to get working in an update as well- for now, you can can just use the offset and finesse them together, but obviously that's a bit tedious and not in line with the "Fast, simple, obvious" mission of ProBuilder.

Hammer does this in a really nice way- select a face, and then alt+right click to "continue" that face's texture onto the clicked face. It's something that I used constantly when making TF2 levels!

Unfortunately, it's more than a bit tricky to get that working, but I am working out the logic for it. First I need to get UV's to properly align with a face's normals (that would fix the rotation issue), and then I believe I can just use the face's length/width/height * texture scale to get a number for the offset to apply to the "continuing face". And there's all sorts of crazy between those two seemingly simple calculations :p

But yes, for now, simply use the offset to fix it, and have hope that a fix is in the works!

Thanks Leaky Sink, was looking forward to see what you would create... :)

2. Team TSA

Team TSA

Ah well. I will keep following this page until you release the free version! Or just buy it :p

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hopefully I can get something like that working- although, the free version would just be a "trial" with watermarking/somesuch. Not a truly "free" product.

Thanks, keep in touch!

4. marata

marata

Oh! I know about this project right now :( I do really like to use this tool in our current game, we are working on a 2d Platformer with rare physics.

I will evaluate to buy it, looks amazing!

5. disaldo

disaldo

Hi

Same errors, after de-activating ProBuilder. I will try it out on my Mac tonight after work.

Ste

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

Very odd- doesn't look like anyone else is having these issues, so must be something local, maybe uninstall and re-install the package?

7. e2me2t

e2me2t

I have been battling to get the good ship Znutar (Awful green things from outer space) together for my project. I am currently using wings3D as 3DMax and the others are a little too complicated for what I need.
    Having the ability to create within Unity makes alot of sense and I have been looking at GameDraw but there still seems alot of work left to be done with that project.
    I would love to try out a Beta copy in the hope to get the ship done.

8. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

yahodahan: I think for a 'free' version, it makes sense to do something similar to NGUI, basically you can download a free version which has all of the functionality as the full version, except the free version is redistributable (as part of other packages, such as demo scenes), and is watermarked.

9. disaldo

disaldo

Hi again

Have downloaded from asset store and installed on a Mac Mini (Unity Free) and a Mac Book Pro (Unity Free) as well as my PC (Educational unity Pro).

Each on gets the same errors as posted in the earlier post. I agree it is strange as I am the only one getting the error it may be a corrupt file from the asset store but I can only use what get. I am happy to sit this out to see if any future updates provide a fix or somebody else gets the same problem.

Ste

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

@e2me2t: sorry, the Beta is over, but the full version is out for sale on the Asset Store!

@PhobicGunner: I'm actually talking with the NGUI folks regarding their help to make a "free" version- I know it's beyond my time/abilities. Hopefully something works out there!

@disaldo: Very sorry you are having so many troubles! Do you have the latest version of Unity? Try the new (v3) package that I just sent to you, just in case it helps. Could you maybe even do a video of your workflow, from start to error, and I can watch to see if anything is going wrong? I'm here to help! :)

11. yahodahan

yahodahan

A few really great improvements to ProBuilder:

-Rotation and Scaling now work just fine (really excited about this!)
    -Lightmapping leaks drastically reduced by new "LM Mode" (
    -Some wee under-the-hood tweaks

Videos detailing each are on the facebook page (facebook.com/probuilder3d). You will NEED to watch the "Lightmap Mode" video, if you intend to lightmap! The new implementation is temporary, and requires some manual work, but it's very good at removing 90% of light leaks. Next on my list is proper UV2 generation base on real-world size, which should get rid of ALL light leaks.

If you didn't get the newest version, please PM me ASAP with your email and Invoice #, so I can get you on the support list! Silly Asset Store not giving out user names...

http://youtu.be/KGl7MFYq8Wc
    http://youtu.be/GEzicelfOiQ

12. Stardog

Stardog

Nice update, but I think there are still a few issues.

When I open ProBuilder it shows an "LM Done" button by default instead of Activate.

The new UV maps are correct when creating a new box, except when clicking Edit Geometry they get rotated 90. Also when clicking Edit Texture after it flips them back to the original v1/2 way.

13. yahodahan

yahodahan

Erp, that's me being too excited about the rotate/scale, and rushing things out- lemme get that fixed, and work on some other bits, then will make a new release. You should be able to just press "LM Done" and have it work fine, however :)

Thanks for pointing that out, got my head buried in the code...can't see the trees through the forest, eh?

14. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Hi,

i have exactly the same problem :x

15. yahodahan

yahodahan

Dang it, I knew I shouldn't have read that email- I was about to get some sleep, lol.

So it goes though- I'm on it! I think it's just something to do with I need to set a build flag/etc so it doesn't try to read into the editor scripts during a build. Won't affect your actual scene, no worries.

I'll get this fixed ASAP, can't believe somehow through out all the beta testers and myself, none of us actually "built" a level.

Again, should be a simple fix, awfully sorry for the trouble though!

16. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Adding a "#if UNITY_EDITOR" in every "builder_*" script fix the problem. I think i may have win a free copy :p

17. yahodahan

yahodahan

:oops:

Well...there you have it. Can't thank you enough! More free tools to you once they come out :D

Updated build being emailed in 3...2...

18. Stardog

Stardog

The UV maps still break when doing a geometry/texture edit...

This texture lets you see it easier:

19. RichBosworth

RichBosworth

Just a quick couple of 'icing' points:

> It would be quite cool if you included some form of visual handle editing for the face UV-maps. I believe you can do something similar to this in 3DS Max (I'm a coder, not an artist!). It should make the workflow a little easier.

> Have you considered (unless they're in already) including Keyboard shortcuts? I imagine this would further speed up the workflow.

This is a pretty awesome prototyping tool, especially for coders like myself. Great work!

20. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yep, I promise that fix is coming up soon, haven't had time to hit it up yet. Now that I have the normals and rotation out of the way, I can get on to UV related issues :)

21. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi RickyBozzy,

Actually, I originally planned to have a "visual handle" for the uvs, and still intend to at some point- it would be a great way to control them. I wasn't able to get it all figured out, so is still sitting on the backburner. But definitely planned :)

Keyboard shortcuts, I had trouble getting the code to work for those. Erg. Another item I decided would be added in once the core was complete and proven to work. Also planned!

Thanks for the input and compliments, glad to see we think alike! :D

22. disaldo

disaldo

All works great now - I was getting paranoid wondering what I was doing wrong.

Nice one friend you saved the day.

Ste

23. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yes, sorry for "blaming" that on your local machine ;)

24. LeakySink

LeakySink

Hey man, got something that might be of use to you.

So the issue with the UV's I solved it by setting the scales on all the surfaces to the same value. They're then correctly matched up and it's a matter of tweaking their position.

Works so far.....

25. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yep, that sounds about right. Never fear, an auto-magical method will be coming through soon enough! :)

26. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

This looks incredibly useful even for someone who uses an external 3D modelling software. The ability to create proxy objects in unity is an amazing thought!

27. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks Alismuffin, good to hear! I don't think I've mentioned this enough- it's sure has accelerated my own game-making, and that's why I'll be making constant updates- every time I find something that isn't perfect, I get to fixing it!

28. OriginalBigDan

OriginalBigDan

This looks pretty awesome!

I'd love to try the beta to use in my 7DFPS game,

29. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It looked great, I purchased it right away. However, running into a few frustrations.

First, I am not able to get it to work. I followed the instructions in the readme, but still end up with this when I try to use it :

Code (csharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. ProBuilderWindow.SpawnNewBox () (at Assets/Editor/6by7/ProBuilder/ProBuilderWindow.js:732)
    3. ProBuilderWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Editor/6by7/ProBuilder/ProBuilderWindow.js:146)
    4. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    Second, finding information / contact and details about this product is kind of a pain. The asset store said there are two additional apps that come with it. Where are they? There is a note to "register" at your facebook page, but nothing but videos and such there. What do you mean by "register"? Is there a real website that I am missing somewhere?

Please advise.

30. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Zombie, thanks for the purchase, I'm mobile atm but will get you all the info you need ASAP, 20 min tops! :) Also, unless I am mistaken, my email should be in the documentation, yes?

31. yahodahan

yahodahan

Okay- my first thought is, do you have the latest version of Unity? ProBuilder needs this to run properly.

If you do already have the latest version, could you send me a screen shot of your folder directory? Better yet, just send me an email at "contact@ofgabriel.com", and I'll send you the full "ProTools" package (ProBuilder + ProGroups + ProGrids). That way you'll have those two other tools mentioned, and the package will auto-extract just right, no need for the manual folder moving (hate that).

Before you import the new folder, make sure you remove anything that was added by your Asset Store install, just to be sure there are no extra pieces in the wrong location.

Lastly, did you find the Documentation in the package? It's chock-full of really great knowledge, step-by-step info, and so forth. And as for registering, I just keep a spreadsheet of user's email + invoice number, so I can get you updates and support ASAP.

Thanks again Zombie!

32. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yes, most current version of Unity (3.5.2f2) Yes, followed all the documented steps (folder moving, tag creating, etc) up to Using/Step 1, which is when the above noted error occurs after pressing "new box".

Sent you a PM with my contact info.

ZG.

33. yahodahan

yahodahan

PM recieved, thanks.

Detailed response here in case it helps anyone else-

Your error is happening at line 732:
    Code (csharp):
    1. newBox.GetComponent(builder_Box).SetupBox();
    What is happening is one of two things, "newBox" is null, or the "GetComponent(builder_Box)" is returning null.
    "newBox" is set just the line before, so that is unlikely to be the real issue. The only reason "GetComponent" would return null is if the "BuilderBox" prefab is broken. Can you verify that this file exists, and that the "builder_box" script is attached?

"Assets/6by7/ProBuilder/Prefabs/BuilderBox.prefab"

If either of those don't check out, I'd have to say the installation went wrong somehow. If they do, we'll keep digging, no worries.

I am sending over the ProTools package now, and recommend simply deleting everything that was first installed (better still, create a new project). I always like to start with a fresh slate and eliminate all possible factors :)

Then, go ahead and simply double-click the new package to install all three tools, no manual folder-moving necessary.

Let me know how that goes, getting some zzzs now though!

34. lod3

lod3

Hi,

First, so far ProBuilder looks great. Well done, sir. GameDraw got me excited, but sounds like that is really buggy and has a ways to go. But at least people, almost in an inadvertent way, are nostalgically realizing the absolute power of being able to create usable geo inside the editor itself. The biggest selling game in history has been doing this since Day 1, and it's about to release it's 9th installment in November. But... with Zenimax haven taken the Tech King hostage (slightly unrelated), Valve currently have the licensing monopoly for this kind of workflow. Would personally like to see this issue go away.

As a side note, Unreal's potato-heading meshes just always struck me as sloppy and out of control, so I remained mostly on the id Tech side of things for precision and ease/speed of iteration. Funny, though, that Unreal's initial release was in-editor geo, but Tim could never figure out how to get rid of the BSP holes (any big rocks in the original Unreal game were there to plug these holes), hence Epic eventually went 95% meshes. And sadly, tech across the world is mostly dominated by this mesh workflow.

More to that, your praise for Hammer was amusing (but not in a condescending way). Back when it was Ben Morris' Worldcraft, it was the best in town to create Quake levels. Carmack's QERadiant was purely just functional, and Jim Lowell's Thred just wasn't up to snuff. But Ben Morris releasing Worldcraft was a game-changer for BSP editors. Yan Bernier followed with "BSP", which featured clipping, and the rest is history. But my long-winded point is that if you like Hammer, grab a cheap copy of COD4, the SDK, and prepare to have your mind blown. Even just a free copy of GTKRadiant 1.4/1.5 will do (no game required). But, the COD4 tools have the holy grail of in-editor tools, the terrain editor. And don't let the word "terrain" fool you. Less than 40% of its use is for actual terrain. But anyways, back on topic.

Well dang. Bummed that I only discovered ProBuilder last night, missing the beta, but apparently you'll have a free version at some point, so if I'm still considering Unity by then I will certainly run it through the gamut. In the meantime, I'll just have to wait and bombard you with questions.

Before I begin, know that I am a game designer, builder and to a lesser degree an environment artist. So, some of my questions may show my ignorance in some areas. And my apologies if I bring up something that's already been answered in this thread. And this is in consideration for an iOS (Pro) title, where the production goal is not just performance, but speed of workflow.

• Occlusion culling. Does it work as efficiently as with meshes? Does it work at all? Or is there something else going on that makes them as efficient, or even better than meshes? Please elaborate if a specific ProBuilder workflow is required.

• Multiple face selection for uniform texture alignment? (Until copy/paste UVs is online.)

• Texture Atlasing. Assume that this in-editor geo method would require a pre-defined Texture Atlas? Or can you even use them?

• UV world space (0,1). Is this not an issue for in-editor geo like it is for meshes? If it is, how are you getting away with tiling textures on surfaces without creating additional polys?

• Have you done any stress tests for performance? Specifically, creating a scene with lots of varied ProBuilder geo, and then another with the exact same geo, but in mesh form. And then doing even rough optimizations applicable to each to see if they're equal, or if one is better? (Saving dev time is extremely valuable, but not if it costs more than a 10% performance hit, in this case.)

• Does ProBuilder (or Unity) merge overlapping verts, or is the increased vert count a tradeoff for using this kind of system? More to the point, is this even an issue?

• ProGroups seems fine, but is this because it's not possible to create prefabs of your ProBuilder geo for modular use? Example: 16 modular pieces (rooms, halls, etc.) that are to be duplicated frequently, rotated in 90° increments, either hand-placed or procedurally-generated. Possible?

• Dos and don'ts? Only ask because there appeared to be quite a few "don'ts" as I was reading through this thread. Knowledge is power.

• Mesh exporting. There was a post where you mentioned requests for FBX, etc. Put this last on the list simply because if any of the above points is a no-go, at least exporting meshes would still be valuable to me, so long as the UV coords were placed in 0,1. space.

Finally, again, nice work. If the makers of Unity aren't already considering this for a future release, I'd like to be on the other side of their plumbing because that's a lot of cash being lost in the commode. To be more specific, if you keep refining ProBuilder, I'd strongly suggest you contact Unity and try to work something out for inclusion in the editor (if that appeals to you, from a financial/personal POV).

Unity with this kind of power would make some folks shake in their boots. People you wouldn't expect to. The challenge is convincing Unity.

Look forward to your reply! And have a great weekend.

Regards,
    David K.

35. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi DavidK-

Thanks for the detailed Q/A, gives me a chance to dig into it myself!

I'll have to put together an appropriately in-depth reply, awfully busy at the moment...big, big announcement coming up from my own game group...going public finally, and we expect to make quite an impact :D

36. yahodahan

yahodahan

If it's allright to hack my own thread for just a second- finally going public with my own group's work, check it out! :D
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/139350-Finally-Introducing-MaK-Multiplayer-Hybrid-Action-Physics-Sandbox-and-Platformer

Also, big and exciting updates coming for ProBuilder sometime mid next week, making sure everything is just right. Thanks for all the support!

PS DavidK, I will have that reply soon, lol, just so busy it's crazy. And now it is time for more mundane things, like taking the dog for a walk ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  37. LeakySink

LeakySink

Link doesn't work dude...

38. yahodahan

yahodahan

Fixed, thanks for the headsup!

39. lod3

lod3

No worries, take your time. The art and concept for your game looks pro, by the way; looking forward to some video to get a feel for the gameplay. Sounds like there will be some old-school air control at play, always fun.

40. pudd1nG

pudd1nG

Is there a way to merge boxes or "add verts" to a builder box? Or does this happen automatically? Loving things so far.

41. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Since i really needed it, i did write a script which create a GameObject from selected ProBuilder game objects. I do not need "per face materials", so it just combine all the mesh into one GameObject/Mesh in the editor:

- Select multiple ProBuilder GameObject's
    - Select "Menu/ProBuilder/Generate GameObject from selection"
    - A new GameObject named "CombinedMesh" is created

Only tested with ProBuilder v4, hope you'll enjoy and find it usefull !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  42. yahodahan

yahodahan

pudd1nG, there is not a way to do this, yet. ProBuilder is a different style than Blender/Max/Maya/etc, it's the BSP style where everything is made from multiple individual shapes. Once folks switch over to that mindset, they generally find that "wow, this is really simple and fast!".

Of course, you CAN select multiple builder boxes, click edit, and place verts right on top of each other and move them at the same time. That's basically the same thing. Then place "NoDraw" on the faces that become hidden, so that they aren't wasting lightmap space/being rendered.

Don't worry, when I finally get a chance, I'll be making serious tutorials for ProBuilder, meanwhile check out the existing vids for demos on how to use it :)

43. yahodahan

yahodahan

I'll take a look at this later today, thanks Cpasjuste! I've been working on something the same, and speaking with another on the Unity forums, but you've beaten us all to the punch. I will be having something like this fully integrated in the near future, too :)

44. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

This is a quick and dirty hack! You could use the built in texture packer to even have materials.

45. Joe64

Joe64

Hi yahodahan,

this is a promising tool! Just installed also ProGrids and I love it.

But I found a bug in ProBuilder: Collider is not generated at the correct position when a box is rotated and then geometry edited.
    Create new box, rotate it, edit geometry, enable collider

Looking forward to new exiting features :)

46. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Marvin-

Thanks, and as luck would have it, I just fixed that- new version to be uploaded ASAP! :)

47. lod3

lod3

Hi Yahodahan,

Have you had a chance to ponder my inquiries?

Best,
    DK

48. yahodahan

yahodahan

On it right now! :)

49. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks, and I agree- GameDraw looks amazing, but I needed something simple, fast, and still powerful enough for fairly complex level building. I'm no hardcore coder, but I also put the majority of my time into making things as foolproof and un-buggy as possible, that sort of thing matters to me. It's easy to add tons of features, tough to make them all play nice!

This is a problem I see with Unity, and the second major reason why I dropped a full month into making ProBuilder- building games from nothing but meshes is not, in my experience, a good plan. Everything in moderation, I say- pure BSP is silly, and pure meshes is just as silly. Some of the best articles on this, I've found were written by Valve and the community TF2 map makers- how to build everything you can from BSP, but also know when to use meshes, and use them right. Of course, ProBuilder isn't BSP and (unless I get a serious tech to help) never will be, but it's the next best thing, in my opinion :)

Since each ProBuilder "BuilderBox" is made of 6 planes, any of them can be culled independantly. All planes start as "Occludee Static"- that is, they can be occluded, but will not occlude other items. If all those planes were attempting to occlude each other...well, it would just eat itself down to 1fps in no time. Much like hammer, you create Occlusion planes by assigning a special material to any plane of a builder box, and that simply sets it's "Occluder Static" flag to on. It is good practice to then set all other faces of that box to "NoDraw", so that this box is used purely for occlusion. Obviously, there is lots that user's need to do, regardless of whether using ProBuilder or not, per-level to make Occlusion be the properly efficient. Occlusion is a two-edged blade for sure- it can easily kill FPS if used "unwisely". ProBuilder, however, makes it simple to set up very efficient occlusion blockers, and will "hide" itself behind occluders very well.

Yep, this works! And some very, very cool UV options coming soon... :D

There is no texture atlasing currently, although it is something I would hope to add in the future. Adds a large level of difficulty to the already complex UV offset/scale/rotation setup, though. However, batching works very well (all objects with same material batch down to one drawcall, unless using multi-drawcall materials of course).

Hmm...actually, I have a tool almost done, that manages to do all the same- scale, rotate, offset UVs, on any custom mesh, as well as edit it's verts. And it works just fine. All I do is move the UV's around, no additional polys. Maybe I'm missunderstanding?

I've mostly tested for drawcalls, as I expect to see a lot of iOS/Android use for this. Life's been crazy lately, but I am building a very large scene and a full FPS level to show off just how well ProBuilder can work, and how to best use it. During the creation of these levels, I'm finding all sorts of additions to make to the tool, most especially (as other's have mentioned here) a method of collapsing a selection of ProBuilder boxes down to a simple mesh. This should make for great performance AND developing speed boosts- best of both worlds!

There is no merging. However, due to the occlusion, verts are usually far less than a mesh would be. Another use for the "collapser" mentioned above though, because sometimes it is best to do so.

Fine? Certainly, you mean AMAZING ;) The grouping/selection issue is huge one, for me- I can't stand hunting through a large scene in Unity, and mucking about with transforms just to make a "group". That's why I built ProGroups- it's a sanity-saver, for me. Prefabs will come soon, it's possible, just a matter of me finally getting some time from, you know, things like really long questions on the forums... ;) I kid, it's great to hear all your thoughts!

There are plenty of these, as with any tool. Don't stick the drill in your eye- don't delete vertices! (you know who you are...wink wink). I promise there will be comprehensive "training tutorials" coming soon. I really have done my best to make it as fool-proof as possible though.

Yes, yes, most definitely yes. It's on it's way!

Heck, Unity- take my idea and run with it! Well, no...maybe drop a little commision my way...but honestly, I would love for this to be integrated with the Unity Engine. They could make it more solid, bug-free, and powerful than I probably will ever have the time for, and it would be a huge benefit to thier users. Like I said, I built this tool because I knew I needed it, it's a great, and I believe, essential tool for game making- I'd love to see something of the sort become part of Unity.

Whew, hope that answers your questions well enough, thanks again for the interest! :)

50. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Hi,

i did update my ProBuilderToMesh asset. It was creating GameObject's from ProBuilder box, but there was some problem due to not saving the meshes to assets and incorrect objects pivot points.

So now this add-on will generate a Model (.obj) from multiple selected ProBuilder boxes to the "Assets/Models" folder. Still, keep in mind that it's a quick hack, it only fits my needs and it's not made by ProBuilder team.

Hope it can be useful for someone :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.