Search Unity

"ProBuilder"- Fast, Simple 3D Modeling in Unity- Beta Test to Win a Free Copy! :)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yahodahan, May 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __fROZEN

__fROZEN

I would love to test out the beta and give my my feedback. I hope i'm not to late.

__fROZEN,

2. drift501

drift501

How well does this do organic modelling like animals?

3. jister

jister

still can't use it :-(
    using unity 3.5.0b6
    error message :
    Assets/6by7/ProBuilder/Scripts/builder_VertHandle.js(38,40): BCE0017: The best overload for the method 'UnityEngine.Gizmos.DrawIcon(UnityEngine.Vector3, String)' is not compatible with the argument list '(UnityEngine.Vector3, String, boolean)'.

which leads to :
    Code (csharp):
    1. function OnDrawGizmos()
    2. {
    3.     if(isActive)
    4.     {
    5.         if(isSelected)
    6.         {
    7.             Gizmos.DrawIcon(transform.position, "VertexSelectedGizmo.tga", false);
    8.             if(gameObject == Selection.activeGameObject)
    9.             {
    10.                 //position label
    11.                 Handles.Label(transform.position,transform.position.ToString());
    12.             }          
    13.         }
    14.         else
    15.         {
    16.             Gizmos.DrawIcon(transform.position, "VertexDefaultGizmo.tga", false);
    17.         }
    18.     }
    19. }
    I'm I the only one getting this? darn and I can't upgrade to the current Unity version, only have mobile internet till next week.

4. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

HOOLYY SHEEP. Didn't see that license before! I've been using Blender for now because I'm lazy and it loads faster, although now I see I have no choice. That's a terrible business decision on the part of Autodesk imho. (Sorry for extending the topic)

5. raoul

raoul

I started a while ago with something like this but it is nowhere near to being finished. This looks very interesting and could save me a lot of time! Any chance of trying the beta?

6. bug5532

bug5532

This looks awesome, would like to give it a try :)

7. yahodahan

yahodahan

Unfortunately, just you and Joel seem to having this issue- I think it's definitely an issue with older versions of Unity. Maybe they changed the "DrawIcon" function? There have been a lot of bugfixes in Unity since 3.50b6- in fact, I believe that's still technically a beta version of Unity, yes?

I'm fairly OCD about upgrading, so I don't have any computers with less than 3.5.3f2 (latest). Please try upgrading when possible, sorry I can't offer a better solution at the moment :(

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Checked out your demo video- very nice! PM Sent :)

9. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sure thing, thanks for the help!
    PS, congratulations on the epicly popular GnarBike Trials game! You will have to tell me just how the heck you got 12,000+ reviews!

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Coming up to the end of the Beta! Thanks to all who have helped out so far- now lets start seeing your creations! Remember, the best scene will win a free copy of ProBuilder!

Also, it would be great to hear any suggestions/etc that you would like added in the future- FBX/OBJ export has come up a few times, I'll definitely look into that- anything else?

11. yahodahan

yahodahan

Just another note on efficiency- drawcall batching is working great!

The only issue is if you have more than one lightmap (yes, a common scenario), Unity appears to incorrectly batch the planes. Hopefully this will be squared away shortly!

12. Rico21745

Rico21745

Still beta testing this? I'd like to give it a go, kinda surprised you came out with it so fast already (I posted on your original thread offering help if you needed it, heh).

Anyways see my project in my signature. This looks like it could save some time, but also, I'm sort of interested in seeing if it could be used ingame as well for real time building. Will you be selling this with the code included as well?

13. yahodahan

yahodahan

Beta sent, thanks Rico!

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

A little help folks? Just about ready to release this tool, but adding scrollbars is really stopping me up. I can not get rid of the annoying and useless horizontal scrollbar on the bottom of the window- anyone know why this is+fix? All the fancyness I figured out for this tool...and stuck here. Haha, life's ironic, eh?

15. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I have my official entry into the contest :D

here I present, the spaceship from asteroid buster! in 3d! although it is only drawn 2d in-game, so this is really only for collisions in game :)

all modelled and textured with ProBuilder in unity 3.5

haha...I like probuilder, and I think it will do well in the asset store!

and this is a good example of probuilder to specifically draw 2d objects/characters with the intention of a collision model that is accurate! I was able to perfectly align the textures and get a good collision box represented in alot less time than it would have taken me, in blender...3ds...anything I ever used really...and learning probuilder took me only a good few hours of use to really get into the potential, which is great for new users trying to get modelling but who have no knowledge of any 3d apps....

So when it comes down to simple models (even fully 3d) I can totally see alot of potential for quick and accurate results through probuilder.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  16. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Pass your own GUIStyles to the scrollbars, but pass GUIStyle.none for the horizontal one. I used that in a few places in NecroPixels.

EDIT: Oops, I appear to be a little off... .let me research this...

EDIT 2: OK, so it seems like you can just use a normal EditorGUI.BeginScrollView, and pass an empty GUIStyle ( GUIStyle.none ) for the horizontal scrollbar style, and for the vertical scrollbar get the built-in skin and grab the vertical scrollbar style, like this:

Code (csharp):
    1.  EditorGUIUtility.GetBuiltinSkin(EditorSkin.Inspector).verticalScrollbar

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  17. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

PhobicGunner is on the right track. Rather than passing a blank GUIStyle, you need to do a workaround:

1. Make a new GUIStyle that is a copy of the horizontal scrollbar style through code, or make a custom GUIStyle in your GUISkin if you're using one
    2. Set the height of the style to 0

This will work, without throwing a bunch of runtime warnings (which is what a blank GUIStyle will do).

It's a pretty gross workaround and I hope Unity addresses it in a more elegant way in the future.

18. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Thinksquirrel: If you use 'new GUIStyle()' as your 'empty' style, it will throw errors, on the other hand using GUIStyle.none will not throw errors and will render invisible, at least in the current version of Unity (I've tested this)

19. yahodahan

yahodahan

Awesome, thanks much for the entry and the kind words!

Cmon folks, lets see those entries! :D

20. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks PhobicGunner and ThinkSquirrel, I'll put that advice to good use ASAP.

21. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Got a couple questions about the contest...
    First of all, when exactly is the contest deadline? I only just got into the beta yesterday, and probably won't have time for a few days to actually sit down and do anything useful with it.
    Second, is it only limited to ProBuilder, or can I add other things such as props decals?

22. yahodahan

yahodahan

Deadline is...hmm...How about Saturday? I assume the final version won't be accepted till then, so that makes a good deadline.

And yes, it has to be only ProBuilder items! You can use whatever textures/materials you like of course.

Thanks, good questions!

23. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Thanks! Seems that bug did end up getting fixed.

24. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Same here, need a few days to really toy with it. Saturday should be plenty of time :).

25. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Doublepost

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  26. yahodahan

yahodahan

Awesome, have at it! I know I keep saying this...but I really am just giddy with anticipation to see what yall come up with using this new tool :D

27. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Hopefully I'll have something you'll enjoy seeing very soon ;)... I finally had my "ah-ha!" moment after watching your house video and then using this inside of Unity again (1st time I wasn't "getting" it right off). This is absolutely a buy for me.

EDIT:
    Regarding pricing, I think your tentative range of $50-100 is reasonable... and objectively, I would say that while it's not quite as complex as something like MegaShapes will be in terms of full-out functionality, it serves a different purpose by far (geometric modeling vs. spline-based + lofts) and does it well. My advice would be to price at ~$75-100 rather than considering lower. The time saved in modeling simpler compound shapes and prototyping things easily/quickly inside of the editor will easily be worth that and your thinking as far as what ArenMook commented on regarding NGUI is the right way to think in my opinion.

You've made a good tool, make sure it stays compatible with future Unity versions and add some features over time and it'll have easily justified that pricing. Time to enjoy your the fruits of your labor :), both monetarily and from seeing what people make with it.

28. yahodahan

yahodahan

Great! I'd love to see progress/WIP images here too- give the competition something to worry about ;)

I do have the full-length, real-speed version of those videos, would they be helpful if posted? Terribly boring to most people I'm sure, but maybe I'll upload them just in case.

29. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks, good to hear. It's true- it may not be as flashy as some tools, but it will be used quite a bit on the average game, and save many hours of work and frustration. Or, that's the plan :)

Also, I have some very handy new features already in development...

30. __fROZEN

__fROZEN

I would love to test this out it looks so much easier to model. Ill try my best with the modelling contest with the amount of time I have. Ill be modelling a small 1 story medieval house.

Please get back to me and where do you get it?

31. defjr

defjr

I would love to test this out please. I taught myself blender this weekend to work on a puzzle prototype. Having a tool inside the editor would definitely simplify my workflow.

Here's a link to the test: http://defjr.com/q/index.html (swipe the faces to move the cubes around)

32. Shaetano

Shaetano

I'd also love to test it.
    I'm working on an adventure game called 'Tin Revolution: Tiny Tim'.

I should be able to come up with something by Saturday (evening :))

33. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sorry to disappear everybody- had some troubles, but now I'm hard at work getting everything just right for the Asset Store! WILL be done tomorrow!

Also, to the latest replys- I'm good on beta testers, but I really hope to have a "free" version out soon, so you can test it out still. Wouldn't want to leave anyone out :)

34. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

It seem a very powerful tool...I would love to test this with my big mesh models to verify its ability.
    Very promising!

35. yahodahan

yahodahan

Everything is ready to go! I'm running behind on getting the Asset Store bits finished- so, if anyone would like to directly purchase a copy ASAP, we can do it that way.

After a long, long process of deliberation, I have decided on $95 for a final price. Although I started this project thinking it would be a tiny, $25 add-on, it has grown into quite a powerful, time-saving tool for most anything in Unity 3D. Whatever you are creating in Unity, ProBuilder will certainly save you many hours of labor and trouble, possibly speed up your game, and look great doing all this. Hey, you'll finally have time for that...erm...what's it called..."sleep", or something? I forget ;)

So, PM me if you would like to purchase early- I'll even throw in a free copy of "ProGrids", a really slick and useful Grid tool that works great with ProBuilder or anything else!

If you can wait a week, I'll get it on the Asset Store by then, as well. Thanks everyone!

36. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

What the heck is sleep? lol

37. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I like ProBuilder. The texture editor works perfectly now!

However, I think the texture editor is a little unclear. For example, I had no idea that I had to select materials in the Project view and then click the Add button to add those to the swatch, until I took a peak at the source code (granted, I was a bit lazy and didn't watch the video, because I also didn't realize that it was a setup guide instead of a simple demonstration). So, I made a couple changes to the source code, which you may or may not want to implement:

at line 216 of ProBuilderWindow.js, I changed it to read:
    Code (csharp):
    1. if(GUILayout.Button(new GUIContent("Add", "Select one or more materials in the Project view to add them to the material list")))
    at line 239, I changed it to read:
    Code (csharp):
    1. if(GUILayout.Button(new GUIContent("Remove", "Remove the active material from the material list")))
    and finally at line 259 I changed it to read:
    Code (csharp):
    1. if(GUILayout.Button(new GUIContent("Clear All", "Reset the material list")))
    Kinda simple, just adds tooltips to help people figure out what those buttons do :)

All in all, great tool. I think I'm going to create a sewer scene for the contest by the way.

38. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Alright, my entry into the ProBuilder contest - The Poorly-Maintained Sewer!
    $Snap04.png
    $Snap01.png
    $Snap02.png
    $Snap03.png
    $Snap05.png

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  39. LeakySink

LeakySink

Love what I've seen so far, but I get an error whenever I hit the edit texture button:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object UnityScript.Lang.Extensions.get_length (System.Array a) .

This tool could be incredibly useful, good work dude.

40. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

LeakySink: are you using V3 or V4?

41. yahodahan

yahodahan

I think PhobicGunner is right, are you maybe using an older version? Should be "V4b"

Oh, and thanks!

42. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ach, good idea- implementing it asap :) Also, looks like you will be getting a free copy of the final tool- unless we get any last minute entries, you are running unopposed :p

43. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Yeah, I was up late last night expecting other cool-looking stuff... then nothing came in. Cool, but kind of a shame.

44. LeakySink

LeakySink

I'm using V3, how do I get a version of V4? I'd post an entry if I can get texturing working.

45. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Just PM yahodahan about it - he'll probably send it to you over email.

46. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

So... late on a sunday night, no other entries... I guess it's safe to say I win? Really strange, a lot of people seemed eager to post their stuff.
    Anyway, just curious if I also get a copy of ProGrids? Or just ProBuilder?

47. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yep, sent over earlier today!

48. yahodahan

yahodahan

The lack of entries is strange- but yes, it would appear you shall be recieving the prize! Thanks for your support and help! And yes, ProGrids will be with that- in fact, I'm just including it free with ProBuilder, since it really makes the building so much easier.

Now, for those who didn't have enough time/wrong version/etc- don't give up! I am working out how to make a Free version of ProBuilder to give everyone a shot and the chance to try it out, look for it soon in the Showcase forum. I'll be giving out the same "prize", but with plenty of time to build for it- 2 full weeks.

Meanwhile, it would be great to see WIP and such from all the (many) testers who were able to try out ProBuilder!

49. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Hey don't forget my incredible entry! Lol for real though that other entry is pretty awesome, reminds me a lot of the sewer levels in half life one

50. yahodahan

yahodahan

Haha, certainly not forgotten! Plus, you have a special discount for helping out so much with the Beta! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.