Search Unity

Probuilder Experimental Features Cannot Be Toggled "ON"

Discussion in 'World Building' started by jakobfree, Oct 5, 2021.

1. jakobfree

jakobfree

Running 2020.3.18f1 with ProBuilder 4.5.2. Trying to take advantage of the "use mesh as assets" workflow to reduce file size in my project (a relatively small amount of geometry is ballooning my scene file size for some reason). But when I go to the Probuilder preferences, I simply cannot enable experimental features. The checkbox is there, but it is not clickable. I've tried resetting Probuilder to no avail.

2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

It can take the editor a few seconds to reload after clicking the checkbox. Try clicking once and giving the editor a moment to reload assemblies.

3. jakobfree

jakobfree

No dice, unfortunately.

4. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Ok. If you file a bug report my team can investigate further.

5. Mandigondo

Mandigondo

I'm on Unity 2020.3.18f1 with ProBuilder 5.0.3 and I'm having the same error. I work on the iOS platform and when I change platforms in "Build Settings" I can select "Experimental features enabled". But when I go back to iOS, I can't check the checkbox again. In ProBuilder 4.5.2 that doesn't work either. In another project on the iOS platform, the checkbox works.

6. v_tief

v_tief

Has there be a fix for this yet?
    I have the same problem on a windows laptop (running Windows 11) with Unity 2020.3.20f1 and ProBuilder 4.5.2. Cannot enable the experimental features, I also tried to wait some time, but does not enable at all.

7. lagruise

lagruise

Hello - any update on this? I cannot enable experimental mode. The checkbox does not respond to clicking.
    2019.4.36f1
    ProbB 4.5.2
    iOS build setting

8. nodoug

nodoug

I have the same problem, and the booleans are crucial in my work, have there been any updates on the matter?

9. steven1022

steven1022

+1

Also having this issue

10. CaptainCrunch26

CaptainCrunch26

is there a fix to this bug?

11. eheimburg

eheimburg

Also experienced this bug -- my computer couldn't check the checkbox, but my coworker (working in the same project) could check the checkbox. We saw that the checkbox corresponds with two obvious changes:

- in ProjectSettings/Packages/com.unity.probuilder/Settings.json, "experimental.enabled" gets set to true
    - a new #define gets added to your project, PROBUILDER_EXPERIMENTAL_FEATURES

So, here's the where things get odd. My coworker checked the checkbox and commited the resulting changes to the project. I got those changed files, and the checkbox was STILL not checked for me, and I couldn't check it. And the "experimental.enabled" got set back to false automatically.

So I poked and prodded and the issue stopped happening. I'm not sure the exact cause, but I have a guess. In Project Settings, on the Player tab, I had clicked on the "Settings for Dedicated Server" tab. And those settings don't include the PROBUILDER_EXPERIMENTAL_FEATURES define. I think that Unity has been emulating "dedicated server mode" and so that #define wasn't available, which confused the checkbox. Or... something. Who knows.

But anyway, here's what I did: made sure that the defines for "Dedicated Server" were the same as the defines on the "WIndows, Mac, Linux" tabs. Then I edited a .cs file to have a syntax error, forcing Unity to acknowledge there was a change. Then I fixed the syntax error. After that, the checkbox could be checked.

12. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies