Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Probuilder Error: SerializedObjectNotCreatableException

Discussion in 'World Building' started by kyleyoungblom, Apr 13, 2021.

1. kyleyoungblom

kyleyoungblom

I've been getting a constant error from probuilder for some time now. I'm not sure when it started, but it seems to pop up whenever scripts compile or scenes are loaded. I've tried removing ProBuilder from my package cache and reinstalling from a fresh download, but it hasn't helped.

Unity version: 2021.1.0f1
    ProBuilder version: 5.0.3

Code (CSharp):
    1. SerializedObjectNotCreatableException: Object at index 0 is null
    2. UnityEditor.Editor.CreateSerializedObject () (at <0e11587263324259967daac4d577d226>:0)
    3. UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at <0e11587263324259967daac4d577d226>:0)
    4. UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at <0e11587263324259967daac4d577d226>:0)
    5. UnityEditor.ProBuilder.ProBuilderShapeEditor.OnEnable () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.probuilder@5.0.3/Editor/EditorCore/ProBuilderShapeEditor.cs:57)

oscarAbraham likes this.
  2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Can you file a bug report please?

3. Setmaster

Setmaster

Same issue.

4. Bill4096

Bill4096

same issue

5. kyleyoungblom

kyleyoungblom

I fired up the editor to file a report, but I can't seem to repro it all of a sudden. Was happening consistently for a few weeks; tried restarting the editor and resetting my layout but no dice. If I see it again I'll file a bug report.

kaarrrllll likes this.
  6. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Thanks @kyleyoungblom I haven't seen this myself yet, but given the responses it seems like it's affecting more than just you. For anyone in the thread who is able to reproduce, please consider filing a bug report to help us find the problem.

7. aseker

aseker

I encounter this when I exported the probuilder object (pipe) to the project folder and after I delete the pipe.mtl file. I only left the pipe 3d object in the folder. When I reload the mtl file. The error didn't resolve kept warning me in every play.

8. kyleyoungblom

kyleyoungblom

Just a follow-up, this is still popping up for me occasionally. I filed a bug.

reinfeldx likes this.
  9. XJonOneX

XJonOneX

Bump:

This started happening after playing any scene when I created a probuilder object and then promptly deleted it leaving no other probuilder objects in my scene. Creating and deleting further probuilder objects increases the count of the error the OP describes. (I just have a different serialization token for my object)

If I undo the delete, it reverts back to the previous count. (Currently in my project it goes from 8 to 5)

After removing probuilder from my project the error goes away.

I reinstalled probuilder and immediately get the errors back in my console.

None of the probuilder repair options remedies the errors.

Update:
    I closed and reopened my project and the errors no longer occur. Maybe the repair options worked only after restarting the project?

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    reinfeldx likes this.
  10. cwhelmi

cwhelmi

I'm getting this as well on 2021.1.9f. ProBuilder is 5.0.3. As @JonTheCoder said, restarting Unity gets rid of the error. Doesn't seem like you need to do anything else on top of that.

11. polohx

polohx

Same issue, any news ?

reinfeldx likes this.
  12. jjfawkes

jjfawkes

Why is there no activity on this bug? It's still spamming the console with probuilder errors.

reinfeldx likes this.
  13. d2w_v3s

d2w_v3s

For me it seems to happen when an object is deleted from the scene. Running any of the options under repair does nothing to help; only restarting fixes the problem.

I presume there is a cache somewhere that isn't being updated when an item is deleted.

14. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

I'm still getting this and I just filed a bug report. Pasting the report here:

1. What happened

ProBuilder is consistently throwing the following messages to the Console:
    SerializedObjectNotCreatableException: Object at index 0 is null
    UnityEditor.Editor.CreateSerializedObject () (at <01d2b77ab98a456ca23c70ae8ada27f6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at <01d2b77ab98a456ca23c70ae8ada27f6>:0)
    UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at <01d2b77ab98a456ca23c70ae8ada27f6>:0)
    UnityEditor.ProBuilder.ProBuilderShapeEditor.OnEnable () (at C:/Users/Username/Unity Packages/com.unity.probuilder-rc-5.0.4/Editor/EditorCore/ProBuilderShapeEditor.cs:57)

2. How can we reproduce it using the example you attached

1) Create any ProBuilder object
    2) Delete that object from the scene
    3) Enter Play Mode
    4) Observe the errors being logged to the Console

Note that the errors will not be present after closing and reopening the Unity project. The errors will return for new objects that are created and deleted during a new session.

15. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

16. Hawkuarine

Hawkuarine

Issue is still occuring. None of the repair options have fixed it. 2021.1.14f

17. reinfeldx

reinfeldx

Following up: got an email yesterday saying the bug report I filed in October was unable to be reproduced and there are no similar bugs in Unity’s database

18. ryo0ka

ryo0ka

is this being fixed or should i submit a ticket with a reproducible project?

19. crowbar1

crowbar1

I'm still getting this error. I don't now how I triggered it. I'm using the latest version of Unity 2021.3.15f1

20. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

What version of ProBuilder are you using? It looks like this fix landed in 5.0.6.