Search Unity

ProBuilder does not allow me to make new poly shapes

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Collcroc123, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Collcroc123

Collcroc123

Whenever I create a new poly shape and click on the scene to place the points, it doesn't let me and instead clicks off the object. Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to place the points to create the shape?

EDIT: SOLVED! Apparently you cant have any locked inspectors, you have to unlock them for poly shape to work.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Glad you got it working- logged a bug for that, I remember seeing something about it before, probably out of PB's control, but we'll get it tracked and fixed, thanks for the report!

3. jumisko

jumisko

This did NOT solve my problem with it. I've loaded and reloaded levels, and cannot get the new poly shape tool to work for weeks. The workaround is to just make a new shape and fiddle with it to get the shape you want, but it's not quite as functional.

4. quinnstanton

quinnstanton

Same problem. This tool is broken and I have found no way to fix it online.

5. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

This is fixed as of ProBuilder 4.3.0+ (available in Package Manager).

Alternatively, make sure you have enabled "Gizmos" in the Scene View. That should fix the problem on older versions of ProBuilder.

6. Aurigan

Aurigan

Hitting this same issue, but while editing prefabs ... with Unity 2020.1.0f1 and the verified (4.2.3) Probuilder adding a poly shape in a prefab adds a new gameobject then immediately hides it. If I then exit the prefab edit mode I can see the probuilder added gameobject.

Using 4.3.1 Probuilder I can, while editing a prefab, add a poly shape and add the first point of that shape ... then can't add any more points. Exiting the prefab edit mode and trying to add points while viewing the whole scene hierarchy also doesn't work.

The only way this seems to work is by adding a new poly shape to the scene root and editing it there.

Then adding the created poly shape to a prefab and trying to edit it in prefab edit mode ... kinda works ... inside a nested prefab it looks like there aren't any points to edit, using the probuilder vertex selection tool I can move vert around, trying to use the PolyShape component edit mode is flaky (sometimes after hitting edit poly shape it'll immediately exit edit mode, if it doesn't it exits as soon as you move one vert).

tl;dr - poly shape still broken in several ways when trying to use it while editing prefabs.

edit - adding a point to an existing poly shape seems to be broken in any edit mode/context ... mousing over a perimeter line shows a little green box, clicking does nothing.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  7. Cottontech

Cottontech

Ditto..... Editing Poly Shape ... Can click on and move existing nodes points but the green perimiter dot just displays, clicking, shift clicking, control clicking... nothing adds a control point ??

[Edit] Correction.. once I moved the object out of context, so I was seeing the perimiter directly, I was able to click on a point, which had to align with my Snap value of 0.5, then after a black loop line appeared I could move the new point.... cut out a stairwell as shown...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  8. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

@Aurigan do you have any other plugins or tools active in your project?

@Cottontech is this ProBuilder 4.3.0 or higher?

9. Aurigan

Aurigan

Sure, many :) I'm now on 2020.1.10 and the prefab related issues seem to be gone.

The 'can't add new points' issue is still reproducible in a new project though. I used the URP template, added probuilder (now v4.4), drew a poly shape and ... about 2/3rds of the time trying to add a new vert fails.

10. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Ok, this may be specific to SRP. The problem is that when clicking to add a new vertex, the click is just ignored? Is this when clicking on the existing path to place a new vertex, or when placing new vertices in the initial path drawing?

11. siempus

siempus

I'm using Unity 2019.4 13f1 and ProBuilder 4.4.0 (verified). I still can't add a new vertex if I click the mouse on the outline. But, If I click it NOT on the line (slightly offset-ed while the green dot still appear on the line, it does create a new vertex. So, in a way, the problem is there. I personally don't use ProBuilder that much but I expect the tool should work properly. And I don't get you still ask questions of what and how it happens. Are you not having this problem on your machines? But you sounded like you never even try it yourself, Unity.

paulstraw likes this.
  12. Dotflyer

Dotflyer

Unity 2020.1 with ProBuilder 4.4.0, same issue here.
    It's pretty hard to actually add a new vertex, and when added the vertex will be spawned apparently in the 0 of the Y axis, making it impossible to align with the other vertices. I tried with a fresh project and the issue persists.

13. ThomasLopez

ThomasLopez

Unity Technologies

Hi there, @siempus and @Dotflyer !
    I guess your actual problem is not the one of the original topic of this thread anymore :)
    So it seems you have problems to add new points to an existing polyshape. This problem has been solved and should be corrected in the next ProBuilder released (5.0.0) and backported as well on probuilder 4.4 asap! :)