Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question ProBuilder differing Origins

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Zeraphan, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Zeraphan

Zeraphan

I am working with ProBuilder for the first time and have run across something that I am unable to explain or fix. It seems that when I create a shape its origin is not always the origin of the space.

cylinder.png
    The holder square is at 0,0,0 and the world space origin where I would expect it to be. The cylinder says it is set to 0,0,0 however clearly is not at the same spot as the holder square.

Is there a way to get the cylinder's origin to line up with world origin through either ProBuilder or something in Unity itself?

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there! So, I'd need to see/hear your exact steps, but if you drew that cylinder into the scene (or spawned it in), then set it's transform to 000 ... this is a bug for sure! Can you try to repro from scratch and give me a list? Or better yet, use the official "Help > Report a Bug" and send it there (I can't actually do anything, but they can!).

Second though, to clarify some things:
    - Your Handle Position setting is "Center of Selection". This means that, your handles are not actually at the object's origin.
    - If you swap that to "Pivot" (same meaning as origin, in this case), you will see the handles at the real origin/pivot of your object
    - Extra confusing bit, perhaps - your Cylinder is a child of "Plunger Assembly", and the Inspector is reporting a 000 position (and rotation, and scale) relative to the parent (Plunger Assembly). So, if PA is at ... 12,80,198.807 , you'll still see 000 for the child, because it's showing relative to PA, not relative to the world center. So that's probably the real issue here - double check PA's transform.

Hope that helps get toward a solution!

Zeraphan likes this.
  3. Zeraphan

Zeraphan

This was the culprit and something I never even thought to check. I learned something new. Not sure how the pivot got moved for this particular shape.