Search Unity

Probuilder deletes faces when subdividing edges

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Alien_J, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Alien_J

Alien_J

Getting an error in pro builder when I try to subdivide edges.

I am creating a 180 degree Arch that is filled. I can't use cylinder or pipe, cuz I need the thickness.

I can subdivide one edge fine. But when I try to subdivide the next edge, probuilder automatically deletes the top face. I've tried 6 different versions, from 4.0.2 to 4.3.1. These images are from 4.2.1.

Time for the rant!

When I used an older version of probuilder I could achieve the things I needed. Yes it was limited, but I could find work arounds. But now the older versions are gone within the package manager. Most of the versions are still in preview. Seriously!

Even with the versions that are not in preview, I still cannot achieve what I want. Please Unity, fix your crap. Yes, I am using the free version as of now. I do/did plan on upgrading when I got to the point that I didn't have to spend days trying different package versions to get something to work correctly.

Do you really expect someone to pay for Unity when we're spending half our time trying to figure out how to achieve certain things when there are so many bugs in the system?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  2. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

This looks a lot like a bug that I fixed a few months ago. Can you please file a bug report with the mesh that caused the error?

3. Alien_J

Alien_J

Bug reported.

Ooops. I think i reported the vertices not connecting. Sorry. I'll try and duplicate the face deletion and report that.

Question: is there any way to increase the number of faces allowed when creating a cylindar in new shape?

The arch shape allows for a 120 faces, I believe. But the cylinder only allows for 42. It would be great if the cylinder could allow to have the same amount of faces as the arch. If not, can it be increased to 64?

Reason: with having a large amount of faces, the arch allows for a smoother surface. With the limitation of faces in a cylinder, a running character model seems to catch the edges of the faces and it looks like he kind of trips over those edges.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  4. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Awesome, thanks.

Yes, that makes sense to me. Those values are set for performance reasons, but it's been a few years and I'm certain that we can handle higher vertex counts these days.

Edit - Just pushed this fix here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.probuilder/pull/305

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Alien_J likes this.
  5. Alien_J

Alien_J

6. Alien_J

Alien_J

Hey @kaarrrllll finally got around to reporting the correct bug (face gets deleted when subdividing edges).

Thanks for your help, brother.

p.s. any timeline on when increasing the number of cylinder faces might get updated?

7. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

It will be in the 4.4.0-preview.1 update. I will tag that later this week probably.

Alien_J likes this.
  8. marcospgp

marcospgp

This is happening right now, v5.0.0-pre.7

9. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

The same case with the cylinder edge insert?

10. marcospgp

marcospgp

@kaarrrllll not the exact same scenario, but my search led me here. I was manipulating some other complex mesh, a wall to be precise!

11. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Ok, can you file a bug report please? If possible it would be a big help if you could include the problem mesh.

12. marcospgp

marcospgp

Sorry, it's been a while since and I no longer have the problem scenario set up!