Search Unity

Feedback ProBuilder cut tool snapping feedback

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Querke, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Querke

Querke

Hey!

I really like the new cut tool in ProBuilder. But something that bothers me is that there is only vertex snapping. More snapping features would be nice:

• Grid snap: I feel that a grid snap would be beneficial in order to create a hole that is exactly the size you want, and makes it easier to recreate that exact same hole on the other side of the model. For instance when you create a window in a wall (face probably must be 90 degrees and on grid in order for world grid snapping to work).
    • Angle snap: Another snapping feature that would be beneficial would be an "angle snap". Where if you already have two points created with the cut tool, you then could snap based on the angle from the previous line, ex. 90/45 degrees from the previous line

Bonus question 1: I would like to try and implement this snap behavior myself, but can't seem to find out how to affect the cut tool cursor with an editor script. Can a unity representative point me to where I should look in the API?
    Bonus question 2: what is the best way to create a hole in ProBuilder? Ex. create a window in a wall. Adding 4 loop edges or extrude-scaling down two planes just feels cumbersome compared to the cut tool.

Hoping for an answer, Merry Christmas!

TeamDoodz likes this.
  2. PresentDayJosh

PresentDayJosh